Iphone 5 will Have metal case!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Mar 18, 2011.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

+1

3. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The iPhone 5 'may' have the capabilities to make me a sammich. Look I can start rumors too...

4. elan123 macrumors 6502

like a bunch of old ladies talking about the neighbors...

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

That looks like someone has just stuck a piece of Aluminium on the back of an iPhone 4. Look where the camera cut out is. It clearly drops down and the metal on the back is a different color to the metal on the side.

If these people must make iPhone rumors at least make them good.

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

While I agree about the rumors, maybe try READING next time?

"Note that the image above shows a metal-look case back accessory for the iPhone 4, not a device claimed to be the iPhone 5."

Right there at the end of the article. RIGHT. AT. THE. END. I figured I may as well emphasize that since you seem to have a problem with comprehension.

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If the change the back to metal, I hope they change the entire design. The current 4 looks funky with a metal back.

8. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Admittedly I didn't read much past 'a solid source'. If you have no evidence at all to back your rumor up, why tell it? If you have no name, no report, no image, not even a design, whats the point? Who is going to believe you? I could just say that the next iPhone will be made of wood. No proof. So why bother?

9. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Umm if the source is accurate, it is absolutely a solid name and newsworthy...

"claim to have a solid source at Foxconn, the Chinese manufacturer responsible for building the iPhone"

Foxconn is the company that actually builds the iPhone for Apple so if it leaked from them it's most likely true. That being said, it's all speculative at this point.

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Does that guy who left the iPhone 4 in the bar still work for Apple? Without him, we know nothing!

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

Agreed. The dual color/material thing looks weird. If I want a metal backing, I can always unscrew the bottom of the iPhone 4, take out the back glass, and change it. Big whoop! No-brainer customization and I have the more common screws. The best-looking phones using metal was the Nokia 6500 Slide and SE Xperia X1 from 2007 & 2008 because they were on both sides.

Apple could add an A5 chip, a 4 inch screen, make it 0.5 mm thinner, call it iPhone 5, and just call it a day. And guess what? It will still sell! The hardware is the least challenging part. What needs more changing is iOS. But I don't see it changing until its 5th year anniversary in 2012 with the iPhone 6. There are so many ideas on how I envision future interfaces that I know won't come to fruiton anytime soon because of how Apple slowly dictates the pace, how slow and stupid their competition moves by not trying to go far beyond Apple, and how battery life can't support the many live info running in the background.

I've heard this rumor and seen that pic a few months back already. Just a superficial thing to get excited about for another year before we get tired of it just as fast as Beyonce Knowles and her music.

12. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

We'll find out when it's released.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

lol as if a bunch of ol' geezers don't stand around talking about the neighbors, it's a unisex opportunity out there pal :)

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I really hope this is true, I can only imagine how amazing the iPhone 5 will be.
    Revamped antenna + Tweaked design + A5 CPU + new GPU + 4" screen + iOS 5 = 10x better than anything we've had so far.

I just hope iOS 5 delivers, without software the hardware is nothing..

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Revamped antenna: Bet not
    Tweaked design: Probably not
    A5 CPU: Probably
    new GPU: Possibly
    4" screen: Nope
    iOS 5: Not even sure about this one, nor what to expect.

16. Reach9, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Well the A5 processor and GPU are a given.
    I'm sure the design would change, hence the rumors about a metal-like back.
    What do you think will be the logical upgrades for the iPhone 5 then?

17. mach macrumors regular

My guesses:

Design
    Overall the same as the current model. Stainless steel antenna could possibly receive some kind of clear coating to prevent attenuation via direct skin contact. I'm not sure about metal as the back, though the point of the antenna being external and thus not affected by a metal back are interesting. If that's the case though, I'd be a little dubious and would wait for reviews of the phone first. That said, I'd like to see the back as something other than glass. Too much risk shattering it by just dropping it once.

Internals
    Likely to be the same as the iPad 2—A5 processor with SGX543 graphics, and at least 512MB of RAM, 768 or 1GB would be nice, and the iPhone 4 was more powerful than the first iPad, so it's possible. I can't see Apple creating a disparity between their forefront product lines by making iPhone 5 any less powerful than the iPad 2. Some say it may not be needed in a phone, but the latest iPhone and iPads have to be able to run the same software just as well.

I'm hoping for a bump from 5 to at least 6MP for the rear camera, along with the new rumored sensor from Sony. Yes, raw megapixels don't matter but we'd all like to be able to replace our compact cameras with our phones and make prints from them, etc. HD Facetime camera on the front would be nice, but that might be less likely.

Software
    I'm hoping for iOS 5 to be a major revision: Most notably with the addition of widgets, and a revamped notification system. I'd also like to see a complete OS redesign, it could be as simple as a transition to more Lion-like color palletes and buttons etc, though this doesn't seem too likely.

tl;dr:
    - A5 and SGX543, at least 512 MB RAM but hopefully 768MB or 1GB (at least the same specs as the iPad 2
    - New camera sensor and possibly boost to 6-8MP
    - Larger screen, hopefully at least 3.8"-4"
    - Same design as iPhone 4, possibly with some kind of coating over the antenna and a different material used for the backplate

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just to nitpick. The iPhone 4's A4 was benchmarked to be underclocked to somewhere around 860MHz. Wherea's the iPads A4 was consistently 1GHz. The iP4 has 512MB RAM which helps to offset the speed difference of the iPad with only 256MB. The iPhone 4 is better for multitasking but the iPad is speedier.

19. mach macrumors regular

You are correct sir. Perhaps then we may see the same situation with the A5 underclocked to 800MHz and more RAM in the iPhone?

20. Bentroxell macrumors member

So it's female too?

21. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

These rumors are getting more ridiculous by the day. I heard the IPhone 5 is gonna cook dinner, order flowers on it own for those special occasions, spit out cash like an ATM machine when your low on it, feed your dog and cats because you can't remember and act as a slim line skateboard too.

Why are we so impatient? Just wait till the first week of June and Steve will tell us everything we need to know.

22. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

Sounds to me like the new iPhone is not only female, but a sugar momma as well!

SIGN ME UP!!!

23. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I know who Foxconn are. However I could write an article saying I have a solid source from them saying whatever I like.

I guess it's a matter of trust, in my opinion there's no point speculating without even a proper mock up. Instead just a saying: 'It might look like this. Or it might not.' Maybe my standards for what to expect from rumors are too high. But this one just seemed to have no substance behind it at all.

24. Reach9, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Well 9to5Mac has a long track of being accurate, so i would trust them for such leaks. I suggest you look at the original article here: http://www.9to5mac.com/56755/iphone-5-prototypes-spotted-metal-back-larger-display-iphone-4-shape/

It has more detail.