iPhone 5 with hspa+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by treyjustice, May 25, 2011.

1. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

If this is true Would this not theoretically give the IPhone the ability to download up to 14mb/s on atts faux "4G" ?

If so I have no problem not getting LTE yet even if the downloads where on the lower side say 8mb/s.

Would that be good enough for you?

Assuming the next iPhone Is hspa+

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

HSPA+ is good enough for me for now, but once Verizon gets LTE deployed nationwide, I'll probably jump ship.

3. Pmoser macrumors member

4. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Yes I had an atrix "4G" for a month. It was horrible, supposedly it is getting better and I just assume the iPhone will be faster than those devices. And with the rollout of LTE this summer I figured the hspa+ must be getting better as well. Who knows. If they can make hspa+ do what it is capable of I will be happy

5. Pmoser macrumors member

My advice is going with Verizon there LTE will be deployed in 78 cities by the end of the year 78? at&t has what 5 planned. LTE low end speeds are 5-12 download and 3-5 upload. With the highest speeds up to 50mbs. Trust me go with verizon

6. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I'm happy with how 3G is now so any increase in speeds would make me neutrally happier.

7. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

AT&T's Samsung Infuse has the hardware for 21Mbps HSPA+, so I'm hoping that the iPhone 5 will have the same.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

AT&T is a crook. A lot of phones they actually label HSPA vanilla as 4G (aka Veer)

In terms of HSPA+, I'd actually compare it to T-mobile's speeds. AT&T should catch up in a few months.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

10. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

AT&T is throttling their HSPA+ speeds though... [​IMG]

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The problem is that 3G speeds are actually better than HSPA+ speeds in most cases. No reason why this happens (and it shouldn't) since you are essentially connecting to the same 3G network but it does for whatever reason.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because most places that have enabled HSPA+ they dont have the backhaul to push those speeds yet.
    I think there is like 10 or 12 cities in the US that have true HSPA+ with the backhaul upgraded to handle those speeds.

13. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

exactly :mad:... at&t's hspa+ is a freakign joke. I would have been heated if i bought an Atrix when it came out and it wasn't utilizing hspa+ to its full potential

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Exactly why I intend to buy the iPhone 5 off contract (probably will go up to canada to get a factory unlocked model unless Apple starts offering unlocked ones in the US). That way I won't be stuck paying an ETF when VZW launches an LTE iPhone

15. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Since the ETF decreases every month isn't it less expensive to get an AT&T iPhone and pay them while you wait for the Verizon LTE iPhone?