"iPhone 5" - your predictions (not a wishlist)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatsMeRight, Aug 1, 2012.

?

Which new features will we see in the next-gen iPhone ("iPhone 5")?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2012.
  1. 4-inch retina display

89.6%
  2. Different design

56.6%
  3. 4G LTE

89.1%
  4. NFC

55.7%
  5. Improved camera

76.9%
  6. Better, higher-quality speakers

44.8%
  7. Smaller dock connector

80.5%
  8. Better battery life

50.2%
  9. Same (45 nm) A5 chip as found in iPhone 4S and iPad 2

5.9%
  10. Smaller, more energy-efficient (32 nm) A5 chip

10.4%
  11. Smaller, more energy-efficient (32 nm) A5X chip as found in iPad 3

34.4%
  12. Brand new A6 chip

38.5%
  13. FaceTime HD camera

58.4%
  14. (AM)OLED (display) technology instead of IPS LCD technology

9.0%
  15. Faster charging (10 W support, like iPad)

21.7%
  16. Faster data transfer through new dock connector

33.9%
  17. Gorilla Glass 2 (current iPhone has Gorilla Glass 1)

59.7%
  18. Tactile feedback (Senseg technology)

5.9%
  19. FM radio support

3.6%
  20. 128 GB model

15.8%
  1. ThatsMeRight, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

We know quite a lot already about the next-generation's iPhone design, but we actually know very few about the next-generation iPhone's features.

Quite certain:
    - 4 inch display
    - 4G LTE
    - Different design, but similar to iPhone 4
    - Smaller dock connector

Quite uncertain:
    - NFC

Unknown:
    - Better speakers (because of better speaker grill?)
    - Camera (same or differences?)
    -- 1080p 60fps
    -- More lenses?
    -- Better in low-light?
    -- More megapixels?
    - Battery (how will they manage with LTE?)
    - 45nm A5 chip (like current iPhone 4S), 32 nm A5 chip (limited edition iPad 2?), 32 nm A5X chip (iPad 3) or unknown 28nm/32nm A6 chip?

To be honest, we know very little about the next-gen iPhone: all that seems certain is the design tweak, the 4-inch display and 4G LTE (because of iPad 3).

What do you think: which new features the next-gen iPhone will get?

What will be Apple's killer feature? Will the killer feature be the bigger display or 4G LTE, or something that hasn't been leaked yet?

2. FSMBP, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

In addition to what you said:

Quite Certain:
    12MP iSight Camera (They've updated the camera every gen. since '09).
    FaceTime HD Camera

3. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Why do you think it's 10 megapixel? I think that IF they settle with a higher number of megapixels, it will be 12 megapixel (Sony currently supplies the iPhone 4S' camera, and I don't think they ship 10 megapixel cameras for smartphones).

I also added a poll by the way.

4. lazard macrumors 65816

A6 chip which is basically the Samsung Exynos chip found in the S3.
    better camera.
    crappier battery life

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Just took a shot in the dark. I knew if it was updated it would be higher than 8, and I thought I read 12MP may be too big of a leap. But I updated my original post based on what you said!

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

They can always make the camera better without adding Megapixels... which is what I would prefer because I do not want them to suck up storage on my phone. I do not need to be able to turn my iPhone photos into Posters. I personally just want them to look sharp and have great color for computer viewing from time to time.

7. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

I know. In the poll I gave the option "Improved camera" - because a camera can be improved in many ways.

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree. But the vast majority of consumers don't know that - they look at megapixels as the indicator of image quality (I even thought this back 10 years ago). Therefore, consumers may see a 8MP iPhone but they will think a 12MP Galaxy-Modulator-4G-LTE-Plus has a better camera based only on the megapixels.

I feel like they will do what they do did with going from the 4 ot the 4S - Apple will be increasing the megapixel AND increasing sensor size/add lens to make the image actually look better and capture more light.

9. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

If we can get a 12MP camera with improved optics it will put my iphone 4 to absolute shame.

10. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

You are 100% right, I worked at Circuit City and Best Buy during college. A lot of people do not know anything about camera's. Granted I do not know much about camera's either, but I know some basics...

The biggest thing I learned about them has come from experience. I have a little Nikon point and shoot. Not super expensive, but it gets the job done. What I do know, is good picture quality (I sold Home Theater during those days, so staring at all those Tv's for years made me SUPER picky). The pictures I take with my Nikon are trash compared to the photo's my Girlfriend's Dad's Cameras take. Both his point and shoot Nikon and his Cannon Digital SLR... The MP on all three camera's are the same.

ADDITIONAL: Wow, I got off topic... but yes, you are right, people think MP alone mean it will take better photos.

11. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I would like to see Apple support a Thunderbolt sync cable for the new iPhone.

12. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

If they increase the amount of megapixels again, than I am wondering what models we'll see. I hope personally that they drop the 16 GB model and start selling the "iPhone 5" 32 GB at $199.

We'll see what they can do... the "iPhone 5" is rumoured to be about 7.4 mm thin!

I'd rather see them at support for USB 3. The current dock connector is already USB 2 compatible. USB 3 would allow for even faster charging and higher data speeds (just like Thunderbolt - except that USB 3 is more popular).

13. animatedude macrumors 65816

i wish if you can change the title of the thread to "what new features you would like to be in iPhone 5".

most of us will choose "Different Design".

14. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not asking what new features someone likes to see in the "iPhone 5". I'm asking people what they expect from "iPhone 5". Not what they want. What they think Apple will give us; what they expect.

15. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

16. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am more interested in software at this point. The rear camera is phenomenal. I really don't think we need more megapixels. If anything, some better low light photography. The FFC also seems good enough, but I suppose I can see this being bumped up. For just doing facetime/skype, I really don't feel we need anything better. Might be handy for self portraits though (by the way, can Apple PLEASE not have this be in mirror mode? I never understood why their iSight was like looking into a mirror. It should record just like the rear camera does IMO).

18. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'd agree with you. But then we'd both be wrong.

People, by nature, hate change. And, personally, I love the 4/4s design. I bet "most of us" would be happy if the design stayed the same.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I would have no issue with the iPhone5 borrowing heavily from iPhone 4/4S DNA.

20. glynhughes macrumors member

I'd really like it to support something called a 'phone call'.

It's where you enter a 'phone number' and can speak to another party directly using the human voice whilst being able to move freely around the room and holding the handset in any way that's comfortable.

They've tried it in previous iterations of the iPhone, but without much success.

Fingers crossed.

21. aidogz macrumors newbie

aidogz

The new iPhone - what do you expect?

There's a wide range of theories and ideas about the design, features, specs and changes that will come with the next iPhone, so Im interested in getting a general consensus on what everyones expecting, wanting or needing in some cases.

A lot of people are saying that the mock-up designs aren't good enough to get you to buy a new iPhone, so what sort of design would you like? Is the bigger screen the way to go? Thinner, lighter, longer - what do you think is the most likely design?

I'd like to expect a beautiful, radically new iPhone design like the transition from the 3GS to the 4, but what could Apple do in the case of 'if it isn't broken, dont fix it'?

So what are your thoughts on everything to do with the new iPhone? :)

22. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Just as the leaks suggest. Taller thinner iPhone. Couple extra things i expect to be included are NFC support for passbook and wireless charging.

23. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

The two things I expect at this point are 4G LTE & NFC.

24. ThatsMeRight, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

Some interesting statistics from the poll!
    71 people have selected one or more answers in the poll. I think this is a fair amount of people - for now - to see what people actually believe the next iPhone will feature.

91.55% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have a 4-inch retina display.
    90.14% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have 4G LTE.
    80.28% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have a smaller dock connector, 32.39% of the voters believes that there will be faster data transfer through the new dock connector and 22.54% of the voters believe that there will be faster charging through the new dock connector.
    73.24% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have an improved camera.
    60.01% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have NFC.
    54.93% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have better battery life and Gorilla Glass 2.
    53.52% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have a different design and a FaceTime HD camera.
    49.30% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have better, higher-quality speakers.
    46.48% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have an A6 chip.
    35.21% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have a smaller, more energy-efficient (32nm) A5X chip as found in iPad 3.
    12.68% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have a display based on (AM)OLED technology instead of LCD technology, 12.68% of the voters also believe that the next-gen iPhone will feature tactile feedback (Senseg technology) and 12.68% of the voters also believe that there will be a 128 GB model.
    7.04% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have a smaller, more energy-efficient (32nm) A5 chip.
    5.63% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have the same (45nm) A5 chip as found in iPhone 4S and iPad 3.
    4.24% of the voters believe that the next-gen iPhone will have FM radio support.

25. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Absolutely more battery time. I like features and stuff, but I like a phone that's on even better.