iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ctrack20, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ctrack20 macrumors newbie

My blackberry is barely working and my contract is up with Verizon where I have an unlimited data plan. My question is, I am very tempted to buy an iPhone 4 right now out of need knowing the iPhone 5 is right around the corner.

Do I buy it now? The guy at the Apple Store reminded me that I have 30 days to return the phone, no questions asked.

What to do? Thanks for the suggestions ahead of time.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My suggestion is to wait, but if your "blackberry is barely working" then you don't have that many options and might as well get it now.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Disclaimer:personally i would never do this but i am just suggesting this as i read it somewhere else on MR.

You can buy the phone and return it every 29 days and rebuy it until iPhone 5 or 4s comes.

4. amazingdm macrumors 6502

and the contract just starts over? and over? and over?

why aren't more people abusing this? Buying a phone, trading it in every 30 days?

Anyway never ever buy an iPhone past the 6 month mark imo

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If your blackberry works well enough that you can use it for a couple more months I'd say wait. If you have to upgrade though the iPhone 4 isn't bad.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Out just around the corner could be Sep 11 or Oct 11, Christmas or early 2012 !

Noone outside the apple loop knows !

I purchased the iphone 4 about 3 weeks ago and have not in anyway regretted it.

If and when the iphone 5 is released and if it brings more to the table then I'll purchase it. I don't purchase just to have the newest thing out. It has to delivery considerably more than what the iphone 4 is doing at the moment.

If one always waited to see what new out around the corner, then you would not actually purchase anything.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I don't live in the USA so I have no idea whether the contract starts again or continue. I assume it starts again. I think more people aren't abusing this as they can't be bothered returning once a month and want to do the honest thing. Plus I think there is some sort of limit to the amount of times you can return the phone perhaps 3 or 4 times??

8. iFiend macrumors 65816

ding ding ding

Eventually they'll stop you from doing this. Or at least take away your upgrade eligibility, I would think.

9. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I remember everyone saying that "OH apple WILL have a new iphone out in June-July just like previous years" Well looks like that didn't happen.. The only thing I see happening with the next iphone coming out hopefully in the next couple of months is the A5 processor and maybe a memory bump.. Other than that I don't see much changing.. Oh and maybe the camera..

I do for an upgrade.. Been due for 3 months now, I'm just waiting to see what the new one is like and if I don't like it I will just get the 4 and be happy with it..

James

10. typhone macrumors newbie

I say just buy it now especially if your having problem with your black berry that why i changed to iphone aswell. And if you want you can always just sell you iphone 4 on craiglist or something to help with the new cost for the iphone 5

11. shelbymayer macrumors regular

On AT&T (which i'm assuming Verizon would have a similar policy) you can only do one return/exchange within 30 days (2 if you bitch enough) but i've never seen anyone do this successfully 3 times or more!

12. ctrack20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I have posted on these forums before. Everyone's suggestions and comments are very helpful, mostly confirming what I was feeling already. Thanks again.

13. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I thought Apple stores had a 14 day return policy?

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I did (3 times) and it was never an issue.

I bought my iPhone 4 on July 30th, 2010 (I was waiting for the white model) and shortly after my iPhone was having proximity sensor issues, I went back on week 3 (I waited for a possible update) to exchange it because I didn't want to get stuck with a faulty iPhone.

Since I was within my 30 days, the Genius told me that if he exchanges my iPhone and then my new one also has issues, I wouldn't be able to return it anymore because the serial number on the phone was not going to match the receipt. So he recommended I return my phone and then rebuy it.

My 2nd iPhone's proximity sensor was worse than the first, and my third iPhone the mic didn't work and I was only able to make calls while using my headphones.

Each time I did a return and rebuy and each time I kept getting a new 30 day return window.

15. Schweitzer macrumors regular

Maybe blown out of proportion people blown out of proportion will blown out of proportion be blown out of proportion able blown out of proportion to blown out of proportion use blown out of proportion it blown out of proportion as blown out of proportion a blown out of proportion phone blown out of proportion, even!

16. Illumination macrumors regular

Use the iPhone as a phone?!? :eek: Preposterous!
    :p

17. Nicallen63 macrumors newbie

Nicallen63

Why dont you just buy a cheaper phone on ebay, so you have a phone to use in the mean time. Then when the iphone 5 comes out you can still buy it at the new contract price and then through the other phone back on ebay?