iPhone 5C 8GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by groupersandwich, Jan 18, 2015.

1. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Does anyone have one these? It's getting close to time to get my youngest daughter a phone and I want to go as low end as possible, yet still be within the apple ecosystem. How much of a limitation is the 8GB of storage and iOS 8? I understand she won't be able to load it up with stuff. However, is it enough for the basics? A few games and apps, some pictures here and there, etc...?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Depends from user-to-user, but my sister has an 8GB 5c and she isn't hurting for space.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a good way to teach her how to manage space. Just remember to update the OS with iTunes instead of over the air. Then again, you could get a used iPhone 5, which is the same phone, with more space for less than the new 5C.

4. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It should be fine if you only keep essentials on your device, otherwise 16GB has more flexibility.

5. groupersandwich thread starter macrumors 6502

That was sort of my thought also. It's still a hell of a lot better than the string and two bean cans I had her age! ;)

I considered a used phone, but if I've done my math correctly (always a crap shoot), it would cost me more per month than purchasing a new 5C with edge. Our family plan is 10gb/month so the access fee is only $15/month plus $18/month payment ($33) vs. $40 to place a used 5 on my account.

6. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

So no apps, pictures or videos then. OK

7. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

She would be very limited as to what she could load on it. As other users had said I would maybe go for a used 5. In the long run it will work out better for her. Really just depends how much you want to spend.

8. Jzo macrumors regular

You dont have to be a dick. A lot of people are fine with 8gb.

9. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

A lot of stores still carry the 16GB 5c. Radio shacks, bestbuys, any non-apple store. A few tmobiles have them too.

Set up my mother with a 16gb 5c a few months ago and the radio shack did not even know it was supposed to be replaced with an 8gb model.

8GB should be fine for basic apps, a few photos, and not much else. You won't be able to do OTA updates though

10. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I don't reccomend spending money on a 8GB iPhone 5c, since with a lower budget you get top of the range Android phones (see Honor 6 or OnePlus One).

Get an used 16GB iPhone 5. You will pay less and get more. A good option would be a 16GB iPhone 5s but it's more expensive and not suitable for a kid, in my opinion.

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

My wife has a 16GB 5C. She's a pretty light user in regards to apps and music. But she takes a good bit of pics and video of the kids. I'm always checking to see if she's near filling up and I clear things off for her. I wish she'd gotten a 32GB, but money was semi-tight at the time.

For a child, I agree with what someone above said, in that it might be a good way to teach them to manage their space. That said, 8GB is really really small. Kids love using the camera on their phone. 16GB is the bare minimum I would do at this point, and only for a kid.

12. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Yes, in my experience, they are usually called grandma. Kids/Tweens/young teens thrive on pics and videos.

Sorry, I should have been more diplomatic, but the point remains the same. Eight is definitely NOT enough, IMHO.

13. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

She has all her social media apps, one or two games, a few playlists, and didn't hurt for space taking pictures all the time on a two-week vacation. So, like I said, she isn't hurting for space.

Someone like myself needs at least 32GB, but my preference isn't the same for everyone else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

What?

Gotta love the way Verizon does math

Seriously. Verizon forces people to continue towards edge payments in order to get $15 per line fee.

If u bring ur own phone u shouldn't be charged $40 a line access fee.

15. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

It's always down to money isn't it...?
    If you had all the money in the world this wouldn't even be a concern.
    The 5c is a good phone, but 8GB is inadequate for any iPhone these days.
    A previous poster might have been facetious, but 8GB really does mean no or very little video. Forget 5 minute clips.
    1,000 photos in your personal photo stream takes up at least 1GB, so that's unlikely to be enabled. Shared photo streams will need to be deleted regularly.
    Also forget keeping iMessages for very long, especially if they contain videos.
    I get that it makes sense to teach kids how to manage their phone's storage, but not from day one.
    I have 3 kids, and the oldest got her first 16GB iPhone 3 years ago, when she was 13. They're all on 64GB now.
    A used 5 or a 16GB 5s is worth the extra $100 in the long run IMO.

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have a 5S 16GB and I'm not a heavy user of apps (loaded approx. 10), music (Approx. 200 songs), and photos (700 photos). All I have is 3.4GB left of storage and I can't even upgrade to 8.1.2 because of lack of space (I think).

17. tryphone macrumors member

8 gigs isn't enough trust me. 8 gigs means more like 5. A few apps and some photos and now you have no room for updates. 16 gigs will be more than enough. I love my 16 5c.

----------

Eh, the 5c has a slightly bigger battery

18. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I have an iPhone 5C with 32GB and the iOS takes up around 4GB so she will be left with 50% left with a 8GB storage!

It runs as good as the 5S with 64GB that I had previously. I love the Yellow case and it better to hold and clutch. It weighs more and is a little bit thicker but has a bigger batter too!

I would get it for your daughter! It a very nice iPhone!

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Would you consider a second-hand iPhone 5? You can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap and you could get her a 16 or 32GB for around the same money as a 5C I would imagine. I think once she has her social media and a couple of games, that 8GB will be well and truly eaten up :)

20. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

5C with 8GB probably left you around 5.5 GB to operate with.

Lets say picture 1GB/ music 1GB/ small apps alltogether 1GB swapping around itune playlists should be fine but you also have to monitor the Cache (other) file which keeps mounting up.

Seems like a long shot. From where i live, nobody really happy with that capacity. Maybe should wait and see if 6S is just a rumor.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Won't the iPhone 6S be totally the opposite of 'low end' for the OP though? Did you mean 6C?

22. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

I have a 5C 8GB as a spare phone for when I want to go some where that I do not want to be disturbed, only my wife can contact me. I have a few apps on it and about 20 photos. I still have about 3.5GB left. You just have to be careful which apps you put on it.

23. Jzo macrumors regular

I probably should apologize too for my comment.

And to be honest, I kinda agree. 8gb is really hard to deal with, for me.

24. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I'm hurting for space big time using a 16GB and I hardly have anything.
    Get the kid an 8GB. She will come to appreciate higher capacity devices in the future. :)

25. aneftp macrumors 68040

The issue is 8GB is way too little.

Even if you didn't install any apps. You will still have to be very careful with photos and music and video.

So u can barely take photos. Than what's the point of a smartphone?

The way Apple counts photostream against ur GB of internal storage sucks as well. So u essentially have to delete both internal photos and photostream to free up storage space INTERNALLY on ur own phone. What's the point of photostream than?