iPhone 5c Activation Locked

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by captainflame, Feb 20, 2014.

1. captainflame macrumors newbie

Hello all

Brought a 5c off of the net for a second hand seller, he purchased it from someone else and they forgot to get rid of their iCloud details, so the new buyer has sold it on to me, it's not stolen I've checked IMEI etc so is there anything I can do? I don't have purchase receipt as it's second hand :(

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You are not going to get it to work. You shouldn't have bought it in the first place. It might not show up as stolen NOW, but it can be within the next few days.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Return it if it's not as described, and buy one without activation lock.

Only original owner can reset remove activation lock. There's no way for you to bypass it.

4. captainflame thread starter macrumors newbie

5. captainflame thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you can't return it you're screwed, no way to get around the activation lock. Can you contact the second-hand seller? Since they presumably bought (not stole) it from someone else, they just passed the problem on to you.

7. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

scam, he can use one flaw and disable find my iphone features, like erase and etc. But activation lock remains and noone will help you instead the owner of that iPhone...

8. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

9. captainflame thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know but I took the risk of buying it so can't send it back to him, I only paid peanuts for it anyway so I thought why not.

----------

Did you read the description though?

Surely it's not a scam? it's got his telelphone number as well

10. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Total scam. So because he listed his telephone number it has to be legit? I wouldn't go for it.

11. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Did YOU? The seller says the service isn't guaranteed. Basically carte blanche to take your money, do nothing and say "it didn't work, sorry. No refunds."

I could post an eBay listing saying that I'm offering iPhone activation Lock bypass, NSA record data wiping, and every free bypass/data wipe comes with a free Unicorn and bag of pixie dust. Then post a Google Voice number I'll never answer and claim no guarantees, no refunds. That doesn't make it true.

But hey, it's your money.

13. captainflame thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah true just me having high hopes that's all... ebay and paypal are secure nowadays though anyway so I would get the monies back etc wouldn't I? but hey I aint going to bother..

I did just text the guy and he has replied but I said can I send you my IMEI first if it works I'll pay after, and he hasn't replied, say't it all really.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Why would you get your money back? The listing even says that it's not guaranteed. That doesn't mean if it doesn't work you get your money back. That means, I get your money, you can hope that it works. eBay nor PayPal would do a thing.

It won't work. This is the hardship of 2nd hand buying from the internet.

15. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Dude is going to take your money and you'll never see it again. I really doubt eBay or Paypal would help in this case since his listing clearly says "not guaranteed" aka it ain't gonna work. ;)

16. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

You've been told 4 times it won't work
    it won't work < 5 times now.

Sell the iPhone for parts

17. captainflame thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I get what you guys are saying, posted that link in #iphone on irc Efnet and a couple of people have said they done it and it works...

But yeah I'm going to just stick it on ebay for parts, what if by coincidence the phone stopped working and didnt turn on or charge anymore, it's in warranty I could get a replacement at an Apple store couldn't i?

Maybe I should pray to the gods that the phone suddenly dies.

18. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

It won't work 6 times now lol.

original owner forgetting to log out of iCloud = same as stolen, the situation is irrelevant a locked out phone is a locked out phone.

19. captainflame thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't say stolen because they forgot to log out.... but yea Ok it won't work I get it.

What about replacement for faulty handsets? do Apple charge you if you still within the 12 months?

20. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

nope u out of luck. Apple will not replace anything with activation lock.

21. captainflame thread starter macrumors newbie

How will they know if it can't be turned on? not that I'm trying to circumvent anything here, just in case a act of god somehow arises and breaks it.

22. chabig macrumors 68040

You would also need an act of God to produce an original purchase receipt.

23. captainflame thread starter macrumors newbie

According to other sources a receipt is not needed as long as it's in Applecare.

24. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I think you should take it to Apple and see what they'll do for you. :rolleyes: