iPhone 5c Activation Locked

captainflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Hello all

Brought a 5c off of the net for a second hand seller, he purchased it from someone else and they forgot to get rid of their iCloud details, so the new buyer has sold it on to me, it's not stolen I've checked IMEI etc so is there anything I can do? I don't have purchase receipt as it's second hand :(

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Return it if it's not as described, and buy one without activation lock.

Only original owner can reset remove activation lock. There's no way for you to bypass it.

Hello all

Brought a 5c off of the net for a second hand seller, he purchased it from someone else and they forgot to get rid of their iCloud details, so the new buyer has sold it on to me, it's not stolen I've checked IMEI etc so is there anything I can do? I don't have purchase receipt as it's second hand

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
If you can't return it you're screwed, no way to get around the activation lock. Can you contact the second-hand seller? Since they presumably bought (not stole) it from someone else, they just passed the problem on to you.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
I don't think it's stolen as the original seller forgot to remove his details, and the other buyer before can't get hold of him etc.. surely something can be done?! Apple won't do anything, what about this seller on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331131283821&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
scam, he can use one flaw and disable find my iphone features, like erase and etc. But activation lock remains and noone will help you instead the owner of that iPhone...

kupkakez

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX

captainflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
If you can't return it you're screwed, no way to get around the activation lock. Can you contact the second-hand seller? Since they presumably bought (not stole) it from someone else, they just passed the problem on to you.
Yeah I know but I took the risk of buying it so can't send it back to him, I only paid peanuts for it anyway so I thought why not.

----------

Worse case you may have to relist it "as is" and notate that it's activation locked and hope someone buys it for parts or something. At least you would be able to recoup some of your $$.

----------

You can't bypass it. You'll just waste more money.
Did you read the description though?

This auction is for a

REPAIR SERVICE ONLY
APPLE ID ACTIVATION
iCLOUD ACTIVATION

We have Apple-qualified staff (All Apple Certified Mac Technicians) who professionally repair your device. All in our dedicated workshop with full ESD anti-static precautions, and in an air-purified environment.

The Service being offered is to bypass the activation lock on
ANY iPHONE 4/4S/5/5/5C/5S ANY SOFTWARE VERSION

ALL I NEED IS YOUR iPHONE'S IMEI NUMBER

This service takes 5-15 working days. After purchasing the service on eBay, and payment through PayPal has gone through, message me your IMEI. I will send this to my servers, wait 1-10 working days and your iPhone will be done.

SERVICE IS IN BETA STAGE, LIMITED ORDERS CAN BE POSTED. DONE WEEKLY ON A FRIDAY. IF YOUR PHONE IS BLACKLISTED I GIVE NO GUARANTEES. THIS MAY NOT WORK. I OFFER NO REFUNDS IF A BLACKLISTED IMEI DOESN'T GO THROUGH.

This service not only removes Apple ID on the iPhone, but in Apple's Servers as well. This removes the previous Apple ID from the iPhone, allowing wiping of the device and putting in your own Apple ID. The device is not fake activated, not software done, but fully bypassed. Find My iPhone will work afterwards. The use of iTunes also will work afterwards.

It's like the device was never Apple ID Locked!
Surely it's not a scam? it's got his telelphone number as well

kupkakez

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah I know but I took the risk of buying it so can't send it back to him, I only paid peanuts for it anyway so I thought why not.

----------

Total scam. So because he listed his telephone number it has to be legit? I wouldn't go for it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Did YOU? The seller says the service isn't guaranteed. Basically carte blanche to take your money, do nothing and say "it didn't work, sorry. No refunds."

I could post an eBay listing saying that I'm offering iPhone activation Lock bypass, NSA record data wiping, and every free bypass/data wipe comes with a free Unicorn and bag of pixie dust. Then post a Google Voice number I'll never answer and claim no guarantees, no refunds. That doesn't make it true.

But hey, it's your money.

captainflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Yeah true just me having high hopes that's all... ebay and paypal are secure nowadays though anyway so I would get the monies back etc wouldn't I? but hey I aint going to bother..

I did just text the guy and he has replied but I said can I send you my IMEI first if it works I'll pay after, and he hasn't replied, say't it all really.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah true just me having high hopes that's all... ebay and paypal are secure nowadays though anyway so I would get the monies back etc wouldn't I? but hey I aint going to bother..

I did just text the guy and he has replied but I said can I send you my IMEI first if it works I'll pay after, and he hasn't replied, say't it all really.
Why would you get your money back? The listing even says that it's not guaranteed. That doesn't mean if it doesn't work you get your money back. That means, I get your money, you can hope that it works. eBay nor PayPal would do a thing.

It won't work. This is the hardship of 2nd hand buying from the internet.

kupkakez

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX

Dude is going to take your money and you'll never see it again. I really doubt eBay or Paypal would help in this case since his listing clearly says "not guaranteed" aka it ain't gonna work. ;)

captainflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Yeah I get what you guys are saying, posted that link in #iphone on irc Efnet and a couple of people have said they done it and it works...

But yeah I'm going to just stick it on ebay for parts, what if by coincidence the phone stopped working and didnt turn on or charge anymore, it's in warranty I could get a replacement at an Apple store couldn't i?

Maybe I should pray to the gods that the phone suddenly dies.

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
It won't work 6 times now lol.

original owner forgetting to log out of iCloud = same as stolen, the situation is irrelevant a locked out phone is a locked out phone.

captainflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
I wouldn't say stolen because they forgot to log out.... but yea Ok it won't work I get it.

What about replacement for faulty handsets? do Apple charge you if you still within the 12 months?

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
How will they know if it can't be turned on? not that I'm trying to circumvent anything here, just in case a act of god somehow arises and breaks it.
You would also need an act of God to produce an original purchase receipt.