iPhone 5C feels more robust then 5S ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkus, Nov 2, 2013.

1. darkus macrumors regular

Dont get me wrong, Im dead set on the 5S due to the A7 chip and availability of 64GB models, but while I wait for my local store to sell me one, I decided to check out the 5C today.

WOW

The 5C feels like a solid device, similar to the 4S, with good heft and rigity. The 5S just feels very tinny and cheap to me. I know alot of people want the phone to be light, but it just comes off as very cheap feeling to me. I have to admit, I started to waiver and considered getting a 5C. If only it had the A7 processor...

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The few 5C's I've handled do feel solid and with actually a better built quality than my iP5.

I just wish there was a way to justify the price difference between selling the iP5 (average $300 for the 16GB) and purchasing the 5C (almost twice as much- off contract).

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm in the same boat.
    I really like the 5c, while I'm not convinced to buy a 5s.
    But I cannot justify the sell of my iphone 5 to buy a virtually identical phone.

4. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Same to me as well... The 5c feel more solid and robust than the 5/5s. It really feels like a totally different phone in your hands.

I was extremely surprised with the robust feel the 5c has.

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

After all of the hating on the 5c at first I'm quite happy to see a positive thread. I did buy the 5c because I don't like the 5/5 s form factor

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Form factor wise I think iPhone 5c is the best iPhone ever.

7. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

5c is nice but to say the 5s feels cheap in comparison, not for me.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

iPhone 5s feels cheap ??? :confused:

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Who said this? It's a bit absurd!

----------

IMHO the iphone 5c is the most aesthetically pleasing iphone for sure

10. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Having handled both I get where the above comment is coming from. 5C feels solid and worthy of a drop or two.

I am sure the 5S is just as solid- it is really perception vs reality.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The only drop test I saw showed iPhone 5s more resistant than 5c, but they are far from scientific tests ...

12. rodsterinfl macrumors newbie

Got one

Greetings

This is my first post. I just got home from the local Apple Store with my new 5C. While normally I would jump at the latest greatest (perhaps I have learned better) I just had to go with an unlocked 5C. I went to see and hold the "plastic" phone thinking I would not like it but it definitely has a solid quality feel. The 5s is nice but I am not sure that I would benefit from waiting another three weeks or so for an unlocked S model and aside from the A7 part, do not see how I would benefit that much from the additional features. So I now have $100 toward the iPhone8!

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Nothing to regret: you just bought a very good phone.

14. Chrisgroot macrumors newbie

In my position at a phone company where I work, I've got the opportunity to play with almost every phone available in my country. And I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the 5c. I'm a sucker for design and quality, so the 5s would be the way to go. But for now I'm sticking with the 5c in white with a sleek black Surfacepad complementing the design with some leather. I don't think the 5s is less sturdy, it is a premium device. But the 5c is so nice to hold and so well build. Sure, I will buy that 5s some day, but not because I find the 5c the inferior phone. Because I like them both and need a replacement in the near future for my business phone

15. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

This was always one of my primary reasons for buying a 5c. The iPhone 4/4S to this day is Apple's best phone design due to tis density. It feels exceptionally solid in the hand. The 5 and 5s, while superbly constructed, feel too light IMO. I like the 5c because it feels substantial in hand.

That said, I expect the iPhone 6 and on to be similarly light, so I guess I will be out of luck in the future :(

16. Chrisgroot macrumors newbie

Weight is relative. Once you've gotten used to it and can't compare it constantly the 5/5s you won't find it a problem. I had the 5 and thought the same at first, but you get used to it.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

If only they made it in all black color too. They have white but not black for some reason.

18. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Original poster said the 5s felt tinny and cheap.

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I should've read better lol. It doesn't feel cheap... I just don't like the form

20. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I doubt it has anything to do with race.

21. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'd prefer a black 5C body with 5S internals and Touch ID.

22. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

the only thing with the 5c is it's girly colours.

23. DanTSX macrumors regular

Yes.

Aliminum is a very cheap material. And not particularly strong in the iP5's application.

Plastic is the better material for the job. No questions.

Stainless, as in the 4/4S, would be ideal if desiring a metallic material.

----------

White is girly?

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

And anything even remotely close to that kind of implication appears where exactly? :confused:

25. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

And it would then be heavier. The current build of the 5s for me is fine, lightweight, still feels premium and not cheap at all. The 5c will also loose value a lot quicker than the 5s would under identical conditions due to plastic discolouring/cracks etc. If your happy with your 5c then that's all that matters, but the 5s in no way feels inferior when you have both in your hand.

Plus they should have done a black 5c instead of maybe pink or green!