Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think the 5c feels nice in hand?

• Yes, I like the feel of the 5c better than 5/5s

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • No, the 5c does not feel good in hand.

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Yes, but I prefer the 5/5s feel

Votes: 40 40.8%
  • Yes, Love the 5c's feel in hand

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
You totally hit the nail on the head. I paid $800 + tax for my Note III yet because I chose an iPhone 5c instead of 5s for my other line, I'm cheap? A finger print scanner was available to me back in my old Motorola Atrix 3 years ago. 64 bit architecture looks great on paper and in benchmarks but if no apps support it yet, what's the point? I'll be the first to admit I used to bash Apple. However, This pretty little blue iPhone caught my eye, for the first time I was excited to try it. I'm very happy with it and it makes me smile when I see it. It simply brought color into my life and gave me a better feel in hand.

None of Apple's products are inferior here. Just because I didn't choose to pay the $80 difference for the 5s (With my work discount, that's the difference between the two), it doesn't mean I went "Cheap".

Edit: What's the deal with Gold? Unless it's real gold it's just a color like silver or even copper is.
Finally, someone who understands!!!

----------

Look. iPhone 5S. APPLE. iPhone 5C. Apple as well. You asked my opinion and I answered. You don't like my answer and ALL 5s owners become "snotty" because they dont like what you do. The world doesn't evolve around you, charlie. You asked for opinion, I gave you some, you didn't like it, what'd you expect?

I dislike the the 5c and would rather have an iPhone 5S. I'll say it again.

I say that because y'all just call 5c owners "poor". There is nothing cheap about the 5c it costs $550.

----------

We get your point but what the OP means is that your opinion isn't the point of the thread. There are plenty of opinions. Opinions are like balloons, full of air and filling everything up.

Love your post...that's what I was going for!

----------

Well, that is what the OP asked for. Unless you call it something else...

This is what I mean by snotty...don't clutter my page:-(

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
The best thing about the 5c is that it will catch your eye. It's very noticeable.

Just think, it's the only colorful phone there is.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
GUESS WHAT SHERLOCK...the 1st 3 iPhones were all plastic and nobody complained about that...

Actually only the 2nd and 3rd iphones were plastic, and the first was aluminum. Just sayin'... Might want to edit that, especially since you used all caps to make your point. :D

Back on topic... I got my wife the 5C and it absolutely feels better to hold than my iPhone 5. Plus, she hasn't used a case and its stood up perfectly. It has been absolutely perfect for her first iPhone, and the $100 I saved went to an increase in iPad air storage!! Win/Win for me!!! :D:apple:

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Actually only the 2nd and 3rd iphones were plastic, and the first was aluminum. Just sayin'... Might want to edit that, especially since you used all caps to make your point. :D

Back on topic... I got my wife the 5C and it absolutely feels better to hold than my iPhone 5. Plus, she hasn't used a case and its stood up perfectly. It has been absolutely perfect for her first iPhone, and the $100 I saved went to an increase in iPad air storage!! Win/Win for me!!! :D:apple:

Your right...my fat fingers never hit the right letters on the tiny iPhone keyboard...I meant 2 of the first 3 iPhones-

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
What the 5c fixed:

• iPhone is cooler
• Battery life is not as pitiful
• Proper LTE range
• Maintains shape when dropped
• Does not scuff or scratch
• Unibody design

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
In terms of feel in hand,

4/4S > 5c > 5/5s, IMO

The 5/5s are not dense enough for my tastes.

Apple's best designed product ever remains the white iPhone 4s, with the white iPad 2 and the iPad Mini (either retina or old version) right behind.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I just bought a 5c after falling in love with the blue. I have to give apple a huge thumbs up it doesn't even feel like plastic. It has that steel framing inside so the plastic feels like it's just a plastic case on the outside of an iPhone. It feels amazing in hand with the curved edges and does look pretty sleek. I do wish they had better colors for guys such as black, navy blue, and red. I don't get y so many people bash the 5c for its plastic shell. The 2g and 3g(s) all had plastic and nobody really complained. Either way it is a quality apple product. I do think price is pretty good at $99 but it is only $100 away from the premium 5s with the touch ID and 64bit processor so I can see y some people would get the 5s cuz some people can normally afford to dish out the extra money when buying a phone they will have for a few years. Seems like most people complaining about the plastic haven't even ever touched it before. I know that if someone told me the 5c felt premium I would have laughed at them-that is up until I actually held it at verizon the other day. So I guess what I'm asking is do you like the feel, look or colors of the 5c. I have shown mine to a lot of friends who were really surprised how nice it felt.

Thanks for any and all replies!!!!

I played with the 5C. I like it in general. If they had the 5S specs I'd actually have preferred the plastic shell if it amounted to $100 savings. I went with the 5S though because I wanted the newest processor, but the 5C actually does feel better in hand. Less edges and the plastic makes me feel more confident about using the phone without a case and not worrying about scratches. I feel like I'm going to end up scuffing the heck out of the aluminum of my 5S with the lint of my pocket, so I keep it in a case which makes it feel bulky (in comparison to carrying it naked)

----------

In terms of feel in hand,

4/4S > 5c > 5/5s, IMO

The 5/5s are not dense enough for my tastes.

Apple's best designed product ever remains the white iPhone 4s, with the white iPad 2 and the iPad Mini (either retina or old version) right behind.

I prefer the 5C over the 4/4S even. Slightly lighter weight and it's thinner.

Last edited:

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
I voted, I voted! Image

Why are you so excited about that? lol

Colored plastic...nah..I'm a grown man.

I think guys that have the 5c are more attractive.

2hs672b.jpg

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I held a 5c in the Apple store for the first time the other day. It does feel awesome and very solid. However as someone who pays full price for his phones, it's just too expensive. It would have to be cut at least another $100 for me to even consider it.

P.S. I think the green looks awesome.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
What the 5c fixed:

• iPhone is cooler
• Battery life is not as pitiful
• Proper LTE range
• Maintains shape when dropped
• Does not scuff or scratch
• Unibody design

IPHONE IS COOLER: In temp or looks? Yeah, the iPhones ARE pretty cool.

BATTERY LIFE IS NOT AS PITIFUL: I have a 5s, the battery life is just fine. If the battery life is better on the 5c, well then, accolades to you, your family, and your friends. The 5s battery life is NOT pitiful period.

PROPER LTE RANGE: How about that. The 5s has that feature as well.

MAINTAINS SHAPE WHEN DROPPED: Well, only if you ignore the missing pieces of plastic. But I wouldn't be such an idiot and not get a case for a "$550 phone". If you drop your phone, AND you didn't have a case for it, you deserved it.

DOES NOT SCUFF OR SCRATCH: Yes, it does. Even Mother Theresa gets older as we do.

UNIBODY DESIGN: That's just opinion. Just like everything else on this thread is. Even my yakazooing is. Nevertheless, you like UNIBODY enough, I'm not stopping you...BUY THE PHONE. It's APPLE! What can go wrong? (No, I'm not dissing Apple. I love Apple.)

This is so much fun, but I better stop before I get banned...:D

macspice

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
Contrary to what some people who don't have the 5c venture to say, the 5c doesn't actually have that scuff problem that the iPhone 5's had.

That's one of the things that Apple fixed. I just think some people are here to discredit Apple's work, on a website like this it's not something I would've expected but. Oh well.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Honestly, I think they would be fine if they had a white face to them. the black face does not fit those colors at all. That being said, the build quality is fantastic for a plastic phone, but I will still wait for the 6 before I leave my trusty 4s.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Honestly, I think they would be fine if they had a white face to them. the black face does not fit those colors at all. That being said, the build quality is fantastic for a plastic phone, but I will still wait for the 6 before I leave my trusty 4s.

I have an opinion that the black is the better color. On some of them that is, the pink definitely should have had the white option. Though, if they'd sold both black and white face variants, I think they'd have been even more interesting. Perhaps if they do a 6c, they'll consider this.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I used one yesterday and it's definitely plastic. Too stiff, too glossy, and it's noticeably thicker and heavier. By the way, the 3G and 3GS were not exceptionally built phones; mine cracked and creaked if I squeezed it. The 5S is gorgeous.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I used one yesterday and it's definitely plastic. Too stiff, too glossy, and it's noticeably thicker and heavier. By the way, the 3G and 3GS were not exceptionally built phones; mine cracked and creaked if I squeezed it. The 5S is gorgeous.

I like that it's heavier. It gives it substance when I'm holding it up to my ear with my shoulder. That's just me though.

mac-amis

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
I like that it's heavier. It gives it substance when I'm holding it up to my ear with my shoulder. That's just me though.

That's why it feels more premium than the 5s. And, of course the plastic on the 5c is a different plastic than the 3gs and such.

t8w93n.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.