iPhone 5c is a newer design case than SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Mar 27, 2016.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Crazy to think Apple are trying to flog us this old design when the 5C came along after the 5. No doubt they could have put it in a 6 case but choose not to.

But why not just make a plastic one again? No doubt so they can flog those metalic type colours but the phone looks like a 5S. Even with the new internals people might feel embarrassed walking about with a 5S effectively.

This by far is the worst Apple product to date Apple have not been known to recycle there own designs. So I have to say the SE is the worst Apple product to date.

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Good design is good design.

Sure Apple could have made a new, or different design for their new 4" iPhone, so it looks different and new. But different or new for the sake of it isn't good design.

Good design is timeless, and Apple only changes it when they come up with something better.

iPhone 3 to iPhone 4 integrated the antenna into the steel body.
    iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 integrated the unibody process Apple pioneered.
    iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 Apple curved the edges of the screen and body to make holding a larger phone more comfortable.

Non of these changes were initiated from arbitrary requirements to make the 'new' iPhone look different or new. Each was a breakthrough that allowed for a better design.

Long story short, the iPhone 5 was the best design Apple had for a 4" form factor, and evidently still is.

3. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Having the 5s design is one of the reasons why it's cheaper. I think it's a great product for people who want a smaller phone.

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Should have made it £469 like the 5C with with a plastic case or IPhone 6 case.

At its price it's over priced for a design which is very old.

If they redesign the IPhone 7 in a new curved glass display this year this SE will look better in a museum of Apple history.

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

You had me nodding until this part. You have to admit a lot of us think iPhone 4 isn't the only design that was better than what came after it. Other examples are the Airport, iMac, iBook, Cinema Display, Mac Mini, Apple TV, Magic Trackpad and Wireless Keyboard.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Design is subjective, so not everyone will agree.

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

People forgot how many IPhone 4 glass got smashed at the back. Was a nice design but a poor one. Rumour has it the IPhone 7 will go all glass aswell.

8. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

You know that they also released an SE in the iPhone 6 case, right? It's called the iPhone 6S.

9. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

That
    Great design, poor choice of materials.

10. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sounds all the more confusing.

I'm waiting on iPhone 7 that's all I know.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because plastic is not premium, no matter how premium the plastic they use.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I loved the 5c design, but I have to agree, that a plastic phone does not exude premium, and I think Apple was looking to make a viable 4" phone for those that didn't want a 4.7" Making it plastic would have been more of move to price conscience people.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

He was making a joke in order to make the point that if OP wants what OP thinks the SE should be - Apple already sells it and they call it the iPhone 6s.

14. Mrbobb, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

Mrbobb macrumors 601

This is no a new product.

Recycle case means no new production line needed, hence the lower price.

You wanna completely new re-design, wait for 7 then and pay the $800. SE is not for you.

15. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I feel sorry for you. The fact that you put so little worth in yourself that you would be embarrassed because you don't have "the right phone" ... is truly sad.

16. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

The iPhone Special Edition is... A special edition for the fans. Apple has 4.7 and 5.5" flagship models but no 4" so they were kind enough to put new internals into a design many people love.

You may have forgot how much difference there is between the 5S and SE and I think it's a way bigger deal than putting last years internals into a plastic body. You get a lot of phone for a lot less.

17. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

I think the 5/5s design is one of Apple's best

18. tsang2320 macrumors regular

First world problem. Buy the Rose Gold and don't use a case then. ;)

The SE is an update to the 5s line with newer 6/6s specs. They changed the 6(+) to rounded edges so the phones feel better with their larger sizes.

With A9, new camera and a starting price at $399, iPhone SE seems to be a pretty good deal to me. Maybe they will release a SE battery case with the hump down the road. New design for ya.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No one without severe mental issues will feel embarrassed by the phone they have.

20. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

He's someone who attaches self-worth to what other people think of the phone he uses. Nothing to see here folks.

21. Siobhan98 macrumors member

Apple are running out of ideas, their next iPhone (iPhone 7) from the leaks I have seen will look very ugly and not cute like my new iPhone 6. I think apple need to really look to samsung for design advice if I am being honest.

22. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Not saying it is not a good design but the fact that they had the tooling and the production line setup for this phone already had more of an influence in there design decision for the 6SE any anything else.

23. cvam1985 macrumors regular

New design for the sake of newness is a waste of time and resources.

People who feel the 5 design is not different enough are not the target customers for the SE.

Ps - TC has made mention of being embarrassed using an older model smartphone. What is happening to young people?

24. Siobhan98 macrumors member

Im hoping apple don't do what they did with the iPad, make the iPhone loads of different names. I hardly recognise the apple I knew and love these days. I love there products but releasing a 4" phone with the same design as one from 3 years ago but making the chamfered edges matte just so they can sell loads isn't cool.

25. PixelDestructor macrumors newbie

Yes, I would be so embarrassed being seen with a phone that resembles an iPhone 5S, a phone that still works perfectly fine even today. I'm sure everyone on the street that I don't know is going to judge me for the type of phone I use. You sound like a child.