iPhone 5C LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhonemaster5S, Sep 3, 2013.

1. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Do you think that the new 5C would be LTE capable? While I think that it will be a repackaged 5 I still wonder if they will compromise it. What do you think?

2. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Sure, since LTE radios are very cheap now. :D

Maybe even an LTE-Advanced radio. :eek: :apple:

3. emptysoul macrumors regular

If it isn't then they'd have to sell it pretty cheap to compete with the Nexus 4.

No LTE...i'm out.

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I think it would be stupid not to include it. Carriers can charge more and would be more willing to subsidize the price of the phone.

5. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

I've been thinking about this, right now Apple sells two phones without LTE 4/4S. It's the only thing that makes sense to a new pricing structure.

1) iPhone 5C (no LTE, less camera features, cheaper plastic form factor) 16 GB only. 6 colors
    2) iPhone 5 w/LTE 32/64 GB white/black
    3) iPhone 5S w/LTE, fingerprint sensor, A7, and ? feature. 32/64/128 GB white/champagne gold/graphite

It makes sense for apple to drop 30-pin connectors at this time. 4/4S are done.

Also, if the 5C does not include LTE, they could get away with one universal model (like 4S), unlike the 5 which has three models to cover the various carriers & countries.

*note: The above assumes apple dropping 8GB memory, I could be wrong, maybe 5C=8GB, 5=16/32GB or 5 may still have 3 memory options?

----------

If this were true, they would not offer the iPhone 4 (no LTE) for $0, iPhone 4S (no LTE) for $99. :rolleyes:

6. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

They still offer the 4 and 4S because they are already made and have not launched the new model yet. I would bet the the 4 and 4S will not be in production after the 5S and 5C launch. They will sell off whatever they have left. :p

7. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

It will have to be LTE. Carriers worldwide are reluctant to accept new models of phone without LTE. For example, the Nexus 4 did not see much support in Korea because it lacked LTE.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Actual answer: we won't really know until Apple reveals whatever it is that is going to be the iPhone 5C.

9. swish2351 macrumors 6502

When was the last time apple sold a phone with 8GB? :confused:

10. iPhonemaster5S thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

the current iPhone 4 is sold with 8GB. Apple hasn't sold an iPhone from the get go with 8GB though.

11. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

yeah, that's what I already said just above that reply I made to you.
    True, but, for several years now, the entry level model has had only 8 GB...when the iPhone 4 came out with 16/32 GB versions the iPhone 3GS was bumped down to only an 8GB model...same with iPhone 4, 8GB only now. (4S only 16GB, 5 is 16/32/64). ...So, that's why I say 5C 16, 5 32/64 (maybe only 32?), 5S 32/64/128.

12. Spacial macrumors 6502

The best carriers like AT&T are using LTE by default. I know the speed I get from my iP5 is outstanding. That along with the excellent connectivity & call quality over AT&Ts network provides a most impressive experience.

13. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

whiteshadoww

Why respond like that? I call for a moderator to ban you!

I don't think it will have LTE since it's mainly designed for China Mobile which has very limited (if any) LTE coverage.

14. cynics macrumors G4

Might make sense, the reason the Nexus 4 is so cheap is because its a single model production not because it doesn't have LTE. The radio in the N4 is fairly advanced. Its a world phone that works on all GSM networks.

If Apple made a GSM world phone like the N4 that they didn't have to worry about a dozen different models to work on different networks and bands they could cut production cost.

Meanwhile the more expensive 5S would offer LTE. That would also make carriers happy because there is still an iPhone model they could sell. Meanwhile the 5C is sold directly from Apple like the N4, cutting out the middle men.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I'm at the point now where my next phone will be LTE capable.

I'm thinking I'll pass up the iPhone this year and get the next Nexus unless the the next iPhone is amazing.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You forgot about the original, son! I owned one of those 8GB models and thank goodness there was no App Store back then. I can't believe the 4GB model ever sold at all.

17. TC03 macrumors 65816

I think it will have LTE.

Nonetheless, I do think a 5C without LTE could sell very well right now. Thing is, these phones aren't just meant for now. Just look at the iPhone 4, released in 2010 and still relevant in 2013.

How would a non-LTE enabled phone work out for Apple in 2016? I think by that time most providers will be looking for approaches to terminate 3G networks and switch to LTE, they won't be happy to sell 3G devices at all by that time.

So yeah I think it will have LTE.

18. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Considering I still pass through Edge, a rare GPRS zone, and dead zones still (on major Interstate highways), and AT&T has a goal of eliminating Edge by jan 1, 2017, I don't think it's going to change as fast as you think.

Plus, apple makes these phones for other countries also, not just USA. Some other countries aren't adopting LTE as fast.

Nah, no LTE for now, cheaper to have a universal phone, 1 model for all carriers/countries like the 4S.

When apple gets a universal chip for global LTE & 3G for GSM & CDMA, then they could change the base model...in a year, even. But, I doubt this would be low power enough to do this year. (battery drain)

19. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

We do not really NEED to guess this as there is no way that AT&T would not have Apple include LTE!

It is all getting close so you people will not have to guess anymore!:p

20. cynics macrumors G4

The difference is price. How relevant does it have to be in 2016 if its cheap? The iPhone 4 wasn't cheap.

People that want to future proof their devices just won't find the 5C very interesting. However if its 199 off contract you could just buy a new one every year or every other year if you are not happy with its performance then.

21. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It has too. The sales numbers would be crippled without it and I don't believe AT&T or Verizon would even carry it.

22. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

And yet, they still sell the NON-LTE iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S! ...I just saw reconditioned 4's & 4S's on AT&T's web too.:eek:

Since it takes 3 models of iPhone 5 to cover all the countries/carriers (http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/), but only 1 globally universal model of 4S, I don't see how it would be practical or cost-effective for Apple to include LTE in a base model phone this year.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

We don't know a lot about the phone for sure, right? I know we think it's for China, but I think LTE is a necessity at this point.

24. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

And they are old phones with old tech. It's simply been pushed down the line as new technology has been released. Apple has never been on the leading edge of tech, they tend to weight until it's matured a touch which is why it took until the 5 to get LTE. Also why it took a while to get 3G in the iPhone to start with. But for them to release a 3G only device in 2013 would be crazy. It's simply not going to happen. No way no how. A company with as many bright people as Apple can't make a decision that stupid. I just can't imagine a sound business case for that decision. Apple knows how to make money and I just can't see a 3G 5C making as much as an LTE version.

Apple knows the 5C is going to steal sales from the 5S. They are going on the business case that the total profit is going to be higher from added sales from folks that would have went elsewhere of the 5C than they will lost in sales from the 5S.

As you can see from my sig I'm dedicated Apple. Next month if I had a $100 to spend on a phone and my choices were a 5C with 3G or an Android with LTE, I'm buying the Android.

25. cynics macrumors G4

iPhone 5C LTE?

Why is it so hard to imagine? HPSA+ speeds are plenty fast if utilized properly. Where I live HPSA+ on AT&T is faster then Verizon's LTE.

If the phone is for China or more specifically China Mobile, the worlds largest carrier that is still just starting an LTE roll out AND looking for an inexpensive device explain to me how it's a bad business idea to give them exactly that?

An iPhone for China Mobile that utilized China Mobiles TD-LTE would be an iPhone that would ONLY work on China Mobiles network. The iPhone 4 wasn't compatible at all with their homegrown 3G network.

So I think the question to ask is do you think Apple will make a device that only works on China mobile with LTE? Or one that is a little bit more universal without LTE for a lower cost?