iPhone 5C went in the washing Machine :(

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
when it came out it was working so i quickly turned off and used a cool tower fan to dry it out, after several hours i turned the phone back on and noticed it had blotches and streaking under the digitizer and was not full responsive to touches

I bought the 5C in November of last year and have applecare too, i dont suppose either the original warranty or applecare cover this type of damage?

im in england any ideas?

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I would normally say no, AppleCare won't cover this (because I couldn't image that they would). However, my sister just went through this, and to my surprise, yes AppleCare (plus, I think) covers this.

Edit: This was in the US. Perhaps the plans are different for each country; I am not sure.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
when it came out it was working so i quickly turned off and used a cool tower fan to dry it out, after several hours i turned the phone back on and noticed it had blotches and streaking under the digitizer and was not full responsive to touches

I bought the 5C in November of last year and have applecare too, i dont suppose either the original warranty or applecare cover this type of damage?

im in england any ideas?
I think this is your excuse to buy the iPhone 6, well played.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Apple Care if you have it should cover it. Other the that I believe you can get an out of warranty replacement but im on sure of what the price is in England.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Sounds like it could have been saved with a bag of rice and 24 hours or so. No AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage, however they may offer you an out of warranty replacement for £120 or so, which is probably worth paying even to sell the phone on.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
(2) Service Events. ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and liquid contact)

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

im in england any ideas?
The only piece of important info is whether you have Applecare, or AppleCare +.

If you have Applecare +, you will get it replaced in an Apple store for £55.

If you don't have AppleCare +, you have the option of getting your phone swapped for a refurb (new condition) 5C at the cost of £206.44 (inc £7.44 for delivery if you choose not to do it in store), or £199 in store.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Sounds like it could have been saved with a bag of rice and 24 hours or so. No AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage, however they may offer you an out of warranty replacement for £120 or so, which is probably worth paying even to sell the phone on.
USA apple care covers liquid damage.. UK doesn't?

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
If you BOUGHT Apple insurance, then you have AppleCare + and your phone should be replaced for A fee, around $79. If you only have standard warranty you can get an out of warranty replacement for $269.

Ironduke

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
England
just softner and regular soap powder

I have buried the phone in Rice in a plastic tub for the night hopefully this will work otherwise i might try the house insurance:)

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
just softner and regular soap powder

I have buried the phone in Rice in a plastic tub for the night hopefully this will work otherwise i might try the house insurance:)
I wouldn't count on the rice fixing it now since you have turned it on with liquid remaining in the system, which has more than likely caused several shorts.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
UK
AppleCare on iPhones is the + variety which covers accidental damage, so you will be covered.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
As said, AppleCare+ covers up to two accidental damages, and you'll have to pay £55 to have it swapped.
Don't waste your time with rice. That is ridiculous.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Applecare covers manufacturer defects, Applecare plus covers accidental damage. The base extended warranty won't help you.