IPhone 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanUC6, Oct 23, 2013.

1. DanUC6 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to start by saying this is NOT an argument whether this phone is better than the 5s. I have had every iPhone including the 5s Gold. Just yesterday I sold it because they are still fetching 900-1000. Purchased a green 5C mainly because I didn't see a tremendous difference in the 5 and 5s. I also never used a password, ever. For me the fingerprint sensor was not being used. I get that for many it's great. But what amazed me is the feel. I realized I loved the rounded edges and the plastic. For some that may be crazy, but for me I would love to see the iPhones use plastic more often. Just my 2 cents for being on this forum since 2007. I wish the 5S came in plastic! Anyways it's not an argument just a thought. I love the thing, best iPhone I have ever experienced. The case has a nice texture too.

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

nothing odd about this. i would've gotten a 5C if it had the features of the 5S. i like the fingerprint. but yeah you're right, the smooth feeling of the 5C is nice. The metal case on the 5/5S gets scuffed too easily.

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I really hope this thread doesn't get ruined by people coming and hating

4. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Apple using metal and glass is what separates build quality material versus using plastic e.g samsung phones.

I prefer metal over plastic because the device feels more substantial in my hands.

Regarding locking the phones.. I keep lots of personal information on my iPhone. You could say its my virtual wallet. I always locked my phones in case I lost it and someone else found it.

Everyone has difference preferences and different priorities.

5. thecurryman macrumors 6502

Im considering getting one to switch with my gold 5s

6. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I suspect that your wish may come true next September, because my guess is that Apple will release an iPhone 6 and upgrade the 5C to a 5CS (A7 processor and TouchID). They will want to unify around the 64-bit architecture as soon as possible.

Personally I think the 5C may be my favorite design. Very clean and "classic" Apple in look & feel.

7. DanUC6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What did it in for me is just the feel of the 5C at the Apple store. I agree let's keep this 5C oriented. I also didn't see a significant difference between the 5 and 5S, therefore the hardware won it over for me. Love the feel.

8. MaloCS macrumors regular

I have fallen in love with my Blue 5c. In fact, I was secretly hoping that Apple would release a new iPad with the same form factor.

9. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

i see them eventually having multi-colored iPad minis.

10. DanTSX, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

DanTSX macrumors regular

5c is awesome. I have a white one. 2 weeks and loving it.

I had gone back and forth between the 5s and 5c. Cost was not a factor.
    However, reliability IS a factor. The 5s feels like a cheap toy, and the reports here of them having all sorts of issues attributed to their design, construction, and newer technologies. The 5c on the other hand, feels solid, has a quality heft, and is based on proven technology that was ahead of its time when it debuted in the iP5 in 2012.

The only negative of the 5c is the colors if you are a professional. So I got a white one, which looks very sharp.

The 64bit processor on the 5s is probably not going to be relevant for another product cycle, and not make a serious impact on usability for at least another two cycles.

The goofy 5s bund here almost had me convinced that I would be viewed as poor, ignorant, and sophomoric if I bought a phone that was "maybe ok for teenagers and grandma". I am admittedly a vain yuppie and an elitist snob about a number of things. Most of my coworkers upgraded to the 5s. But ultimately, these same goofballs drove me away from the 5s. It took me almost two weeks to realize that getting the 5s was about making other people happy and not me.

The 5c is awesome. Many who says otherwise are living in their own aspirational reality distortion field. It might seriously be the best iPhone yet. Time will tell, and I think time will be VERY kind to the 5c.

11. Altis macrumors 68000

What if they made the metal-backed phones have curved edges? I know they'd prefer to have chamfered edges rather than comfort in hand... I think it could be interesting.

I still wish the plastic was a little softer to have more grip. That's my biggest complaint about iPhone 4/4S/5/5S... very slippery on just about any surface.

I also wish some other color options were available, and that the 5C was as lightweight as the 5/5S. Even if they just gave the upgraded camera, that would have justified its price better.

I'm on the fence about what to do... I get 6 GB/month of data yet my 4S only has 3G. And I can tether it, so I'm tempted to move to something that has LTE. I just wish the 5C had the better camera so I could justify it.

12. teribithia macrumors member

teribithia

I am so curious about that why 5s is lighter than 5c. In the early I want to buy a ligher green 5C (I guessed) for my wife, as the phone and jacket weight is a little heavy . But in the end I found 5c is heavier than 5s.

Maybe metal is heavier than palstic. :confused::confused: My wife do not like 5s cold color. Maybe a 5s with a green plastic jacket is a good choice.

13. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

I have a feeling that the iPhone 6 will have curved edges.

When I first picked up the current iPod Touch I thought, "I wish my iPhone was like this." It's so thin, light, and comfortable to hold, I feel the phone will be very similar one day.

14. DanTSX macrumors regular

I have a feeling that the iPhone 6 will have a shape like a scaled down iPad mini. This would get rid of the back glass and the "band" of metal around the phone.

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Behind the 4s by a smidge for me, but I agree.

16. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Yep, this is exactly what I feel will be the direction the iPhone goes in.

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Cool, thanks for letting us know.

Too late... this thread was doomed the second OP hit "submit reply.

As far as those liking the 5c, cool.... to say it's a better design than the 5s is of course a personal choice.... and a silly one IMHO but hey, to each his own.

18. JTyler82 macrumors regular

This. I sold my 5S for 600 and bought a 5C for 350 on eBay. And I bought a green one as well.

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Well I guess I'm silly then. I despise the design of the 5/5s and the only reason I got the 5 c was for the design. Had they not released it then I would have stayed on my 4S, but the 5c is a nice looking device to hold me over until the 6

20. AFDoc macrumors 68030

To each his own but as Butthead famously said..... "You can't polish a turd Beavis".

Ok it's not a turd but aluminum/glass > Platic/glass.

Was NEVER a fan of the i3/3gs and after holding one of the 5c's in the store I'm definitely not a fan.

21. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

5c has plastic on the outside but has metal support inside double up as antenna. That is why you have that rigid, porcelain feel when you hold the 5c. Before I got the 5s, I went to two different Apple store to try out both 5s and 5c. And I think the 5c is a marvel in the plastic construction. It does not feel like any other plastic phone that I have ever held. It almost feel like metal but without the cold hard feel. The different color combo (phone + official case) look really fun for a lot of people too. 5c is mean for upgrade crowd. When it is time for the 2 year upgrade, it is easy to trade in the 4s or 4 (and Apple convinently introduce the trade in program a week or so before 5c/5s roll out) and get 120-140 and use it to buy a 5c with a case. Nothing out of pocket, stay with the same carrier plan but get a new phone.. What a bargain.. 5c is specifically designed to take advantage of carrier subsidy and the casual users.

22. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I completely understand. Unlike most people on this site who can't respect other people's opinion it seems as though you can.

I bought the 5 on launch last year returned it to stay on 4s. This year I had full intentions of getting the 5s until I got to the store and realized every reason I despised the 5 was still there. The two toned aluminum on the back just doesn't do it for me ... Yes, I realize technically the 5c is two toned.

As far as 3G and 3GS I didn't care for them, but it wasn't because of the plastic

23. DanUC6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was never a fan of the two-toned aluminum as well. I can't wait for the 6. I hope it is just like a scaled down iPad mini. Curved edges please!

24. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

I bought a green 5c as well. I love it so far. It was a huge upgrade for me coming from an iPhone4 with a non working home button.

25. DanTSX macrumors regular

No, this thread was doing quite fine actually.

The idea that the 5s's aluminum construction is "premium" or even better is laughable. The ip5/5s uses it because it is cheap, light, and non-conductive. A year from now, all the 5s's will look like year old 5's and all dinged up. The 5c's will probably look new. Apple should use the best material for the job and NOTHING less.

And again we see the master stroke of apple's marketing. Not only have they made the individual feel inadequate unless they have the 5s, but they have convinced their very own customers that they must make others who do not chose the 5s to be inadequate.........you guys almost had me convinced. I had a space grey 32mb in one hand and my Amex in the other. Sure it has better features, and is well designed, but it's still built like a chintzy you. Just in "premium" aluminum.

You guys know that 2 years from now that the difference between the 5s and the 5c will seem so trivial in light of the next generation iPhone that we will wonder why we fought over the topic with such conviction? That day might only be 10.5 months away at this rate. At least the 5c's will not look like they were thrown down the driveway.