Iphone 5's 40% better color saturation..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bankaimadness, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Is it significantly noticeable that apple has increased the color saturation of their retina display?

Also do you guys think that the color saturation increased was much needed?

Just a quick survey.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've noticed the color saturation is definitely better, couldn't assign a percentage to it, however.

3. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Yeah the colors are more intense, but not like 40% intense it's just a Apple's marketing bull***. It's a slightly difference. Besides some colors look less natural than on 4S. Not to mention it's a hit or miss, because it all depends on the screen you'll get. Apple buy screen panels from several vendors. Each of them has different color temperature, contrast etc.

4. PBz macrumors 6502a

If you can, just compare them. I compared my 4 to the 5 at a local Apple store and it was very noticeable. Some will say the 5 is yellow but a good 5 screen is just more warm and has better colors than the 4 IMO. I loved the screen on the 5. ... now just trying to decide if I am going to buy one when I can just walk in and get it. I am still considering moving to Jelly Bean due to just not being overly impressed with the 5. The main thing holding me back from Android is I just don't think there is a better camera on a phone than the 4S or 5.

5. megapopular, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

megapopular macrumors 6502a

Intensity as you reference isn't what color saturation is about, so it's not Apple's marketing bul1***.

6. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

You're wrong! Of course it is. Increased saturation by 40% means redder reds, bluer blues etc.

7. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Have you read about the tests? Or just going by your own eyes??

8. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Are the Iphone 4s/5 cameras that good? 0.0

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

10. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Yes

11. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

I feel like I've stepped into an audiophile forum except for screens.....

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Just a calibration

Can easily be achieved on a Jailbroken 4/S

13. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

So it wasn't hardware oriented at all? 0.0

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

While I'm sure Apple's marketing contains enough kool aid to attract the attention of Wilford Brimley
    , saying 40% better doesn't mean that all colors will look 40% more saturated. What if you bring up something which should look grey. Do you want that to be saturated? It just means that that the overall matrix of values grew a certain amount in volumetric terms when plotted into a reference space. It shouldn't make things more saturated unless they're supposed to be that way, and of course it still obeys the funky laws of gamma encoded output devices.

The other thing I wanted to mention was that while Apple does buy panels from different vendors, they would have some ability to adjust them for as close a match as possible by adjusting the hardware levels. You can achieve a reasonably good match on white points by sacrificing a small amount of contrast. The question becomes how far do they take it. There is likely a set of passable marks in this regard. Even if you bought all panels from the same vendor, there would be some variation anyway.

15. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

It's an inherently better screen with better saturation. It's like how you can't just turn up the saturation on a cheap TV to match the color output of a very expensive one.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's a bit comical that when Samsung did the same thing, the iPhone community screamed & moaned at "how fake" it was.

Now suddenly it's "wonderful".

I continue to be amused at the ongoing flow of hypocrisy out of the Apple Camp.

As one who never limits himself, enjoys embracing change, variety & differences, my current experience with both iOS & Android provides the best smartphone experience of all.

Using both platforms concurrently provides a rich perspective I would otherwise miss if I limited myself to the "Apple Is Superior" mindset.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're wrong once again. You may consider yourself an equal opportunity offender, but there's a lot of hypocrisy coming from you.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Nice try but...

If one takes care in reading my post, you'll notice at no time did I declare one platform a "winner" or better than the other. What I _did_ comment on, was the attack launched against Android for improving their displays.

Yet I'm mindful that I'm on an iDevices forum where the tradition is to confront, and challenge just for sport. :)

19. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

Difference being is on most android devices the colors on the AMOLED are oversaturated, versus the iPhone 5 having a natural color.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So they "improved" it by giving it too much color and using pentile matrix?

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wrong. Samsung expanded their color gamut BEYOND sRGB standards which results in a distortion of true colors. Apple increased saturation to MATCH the sRGB standard.

Careful, your prejdice is showing. I think the one who needs to check his hypocrisy is the one conveniently leaving out information in his comparisons...and knows it. (Don't act like you didn't know about Apple matching sRGB in the iPhone 5). :rolleyes:

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

----------

Where in ths thread did someone attack Android for "improving" (aka ruining) their displays? Oh...hmmmmm. :p

Edit: plenty of us call out Apple where it's necessary. We don't need you to make up crap that isn't true just because Apple hurt your feelings.

22. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Sounds like you're the one causing the confrontation in this thread...

23. Geckotek, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Pretty sure that the color gamut measurement is about what the display is capable of, not what it is currently calibrated to. But I could be wrong.

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I didn't say in this thread, all one has to do is read any one of a number of posts within several threads to see what I'm calling attention to.

Nonetheless, in retrospect it's meaningless anyway because those people are anti-anything but Apple. Narrow minded at best.

I personally don't care, as I use both. Just sayin....

25. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

So, in order to stir the pot (as usual) you bring arguments from thread to thread?

Not everyone here hates everything but Apple, but you just love to assume that because it fits your agenda. I have personally used many PDA and smartphone platforms before arriving at iOS. And I do dislike Android, but for specific reasons, nothing I've made up in my own head. Android does also have some positive aspects that attract me, but so far iOS has continued to be the superior option in my judgement. Just admit that you're the problem and move on.