Iphone 5's 40% better color saturation..

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Is it significantly noticeable that apple has increased the color saturation of their retina display?

Also do you guys think that the color saturation increased was much needed?

Just a quick survey.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I've noticed the color saturation is definitely better, couldn't assign a percentage to it, however.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Yeah the colors are more intense, but not like 40% intense it's just a Apple's marketing bull***. It's a slightly difference. Besides some colors look less natural than on 4S. Not to mention it's a hit or miss, because it all depends on the screen you'll get. Apple buy screen panels from several vendors. Each of them has different color temperature, contrast etc.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
If you can, just compare them. I compared my 4 to the 5 at a local Apple store and it was very noticeable. Some will say the 5 is yellow but a good 5 screen is just more warm and has better colors than the 4 IMO. I loved the screen on the 5. ... now just trying to decide if I am going to buy one when I can just walk in and get it. I am still considering moving to Jelly Bean due to just not being overly impressed with the 5. The main thing holding me back from Android is I just don't think there is a better camera on a phone than the 4S or 5.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Yeah the colors are more intense, but not like 40% intense it's just a Apple's marketing bull***. It's a slightly difference. Besides some colors look less natural than on 4S. Not to mention it's a hit or miss, because it all depends on the screen you'll get. Apple buy screen panels from several vendors. Each of them has different color temperature, contrast etc.
Intensity as you reference isn't what color saturation is about, so it's not Apple's marketing bul1***.

Last edited:

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
If you can, just compare them. I compared my 4 to the 5 at a local Apple store and it was very noticeable. Some will say the 5 is yellow but a good 5 screen is just more warm and has better colors than the 4 IMO. I loved the screen on the 5. ... now just trying to decide if I am going to buy one when I can just walk in and get it. I am still considering moving to Jelly Bean due to just not being overly impressed with the 5. The main thing holding me back from Android is I just don't think there is a better camera on a phone than the 4S or 5.
Are the Iphone 4s/5 cameras that good? 0.0

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
While I'm sure Apple's marketing contains enough kool aid to attract the attention of Wilford Brimley
, saying 40% better doesn't mean that all colors will look 40% more saturated. What if you bring up something which should look grey. Do you want that to be saturated? It just means that that the overall matrix of values grew a certain amount in volumetric terms when plotted into a reference space. It shouldn't make things more saturated unless they're supposed to be that way, and of course it still obeys the funky laws of gamma encoded output devices.

The other thing I wanted to mention was that while Apple does buy panels from different vendors, they would have some ability to adjust them for as close a match as possible by adjusting the hardware levels. You can achieve a reasonably good match on white points by sacrificing a small amount of contrast. The question becomes how far do they take it. There is likely a set of passable marks in this regard. Even if you bought all panels from the same vendor, there would be some variation anyway.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Just a calibration

Can easily be achieved on a Jailbroken 4/S
It's an inherently better screen with better saturation. It's like how you can't just turn up the saturation on a cheap TV to match the color output of a very expensive one.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's a bit comical that when Samsung did the same thing, the iPhone community screamed & moaned at "how fake" it was.

Now suddenly it's "wonderful".

I continue to be amused at the ongoing flow of hypocrisy out of the Apple Camp.

As one who never limits himself, enjoys embracing change, variety & differences, my current experience with both iOS & Android provides the best smartphone experience of all.

Using both platforms concurrently provides a rich perspective I would otherwise miss if I limited myself to the "Apple Is Superior" mindset.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's a bit comical that when Samsung did the same thing, the iPhone community screamed & moaned at "how fake" it was.

As one who never limits himself, enjoys embracing change, variety & differences, my current experience with both iOS & Android provides the best smartphone experience of all.

Using both platforms concurrently provides a rich perspective I would otherwise miss if I limited myself to the "Apple Is Superior" mindset.
You're wrong once again. You may consider yourself an equal opportunity offender, but there's a lot of hypocrisy coming from you.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
You're wrong once again. You may consider yourself an equal opportunity offender, but there's a lot of hypocrisy coming from you.
Nice try but...

If one takes care in reading my post, you'll notice at no time did I declare one platform a "winner" or better than the other. What I _did_ comment on, was the attack launched against Android for improving their displays.

Yet I'm mindful that I'm on an iDevices forum where the tradition is to confront, and challenge just for sport. :)

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Nice try but...

If one takes care in reading my post, you'll notice at no time did I declare one platform a "winner" or better than the other. What I _did_ comment on, was the attack launched against Android for improving their displays.

Yet I'm mindful that I'm on an iDevices forum where the tradition is to confront, and challenge just for sport. :)
Difference being is on most android devices the colors on the AMOLED are oversaturated, versus the iPhone 5 having a natural color.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Wrong. Samsung expanded their color gamut BEYOND sRGB standards which results in a distortion of true colors. Apple increased saturation to MATCH the sRGB standard.

Careful, your prejdice is showing. I think the one who needs to check his hypocrisy is the one conveniently leaving out information in his comparisons...and knows it. (Don't act like you didn't know about Apple matching sRGB in the iPhone 5). :rolleyes:

Color Gamut and Color Accuracy:
While the display Pixels Per Inch PPI and pixel Resolution seem to get most of the attention, it is the display’s Color Gamut together with the Factory Display Calibration that play the most important role in determining the Wow factor and true picture quality and color accuracy of a display. The Color Gamut is the range of colors that a display can produce. If you want to see accurate colors in photos, videos, and all standard consumer content the display needs to closely match the Standard Color Gamut that was used to produce the content, which is called sRGB / Rec.709. A display with a larger Color Gamut cannot show colors that are not in the original content - it just exaggerates and distorts the colors. Most of the recent generation LCD Smartphones have Color Gamuts around 60 percent of the Standard Gamut, which produces somewhat subdued colors. The iPhone 4 has a 64 percent Color Gamut, but the new iPad pulled way ahead and has a virtually perfect 99 percent of the Standard Color Gamut. The iPhone 5 has an almost identical Color Gamut to the new iPad and the Viewing Tests confirm its excellent color accuracy.

While Apple has clearly made a big effort in getting the Color Gamut very accurate for the new iPad and iPhone 5, Samsung has not bothered to calibrate the Color Gamut on any of its OLED displays, so they are wildly inaccurate and produce inaccurate and over saturated colors. The Color Gamut is not only much larger than the Standard Color Gamut, which leads to distorted and exaggerated colors, but its Color Gamut is quite lopsided, with Green being a lot more saturated than either Red or Blue, which adds a Green color caste to many images. The Viewing Tests bear this out. Compare the Color Gamuts in this Figure and below.
http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

----------

Nice try but...

Where in ths thread did someone attack Android for "improving" (aka ruining) their displays? Oh...hmmmmm. :p

Edit: plenty of us call out Apple where it's necessary. We don't need you to make up crap that isn't true just because Apple hurt your feelings.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Nice try but...

Sounds like you're the one causing the confrontation in this thread...

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Just a calibration

Can easily be achieved on a Jailbroken 4/S
Pretty sure that the color gamut measurement is about what the display is capable of, not what it is currently calibrated to. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Where in ths thread did someone attack Android for "improving" (aka ruining) their displays? Oh...hmmmmm. :p
I didn't say in this thread, all one has to do is read any one of a number of posts within several threads to see what I'm calling attention to.

Nonetheless, in retrospect it's meaningless anyway because those people are anti-anything but Apple. Narrow minded at best.

I personally don't care, as I use both. Just sayin....

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I didn't say in this thread, all one has to do is read any one of a number of posts within several threads to see what I'm calling attention to.

Nonetheless, in retrospect it's meaningless anyway because those people are anti-anything but Apple. Narrow minded at best.

I personally don't care, as I use both. Just sayin....
So, in order to stir the pot (as usual) you bring arguments from thread to thread?

Not everyone here hates everything but Apple, but you just love to assume that because it fits your agenda. I have personally used many PDA and smartphone platforms before arriving at iOS. And I do dislike Android, but for specific reasons, nothing I've made up in my own head. Android does also have some positive aspects that attract me, but so far iOS has continued to be the superior option in my judgement. Just admit that you're the problem and move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.