Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c were most popular with previous iPhone owners upgrading from older iPhones, according to new data gathered by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

Approximately 65 percent of total iPhone 5s/5c buyers in the United States previously owned an iPhone, compared to 55 percent of iPhone 5 purchasers a year ago. While 12 percent of consumers who purchased an iPhone 5 last year were upgrading from an iPhone 4s, just 6 percent of iPhone 5s/5c purchasers upgraded from an iPhone 5, with the rest of the former iPhone buyers coming from older models like the iPhone 4 and 4s or non-iPhone devices.

previousiphonebuyers.jpg
The lack of interest from iPhone 5 owners is likely due to the fact that the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c are somewhat minor updates that have not resulted in a change in form factor. The iPhone 5c in particular uses the same components found in the iPhone 5, and it is possible that continued iPhone 5s shortages have discouraged some iPhone 5 owners from upgrading to the latest model.
"We see a noticeable decrease in the number of iPhone buyers that seem to want the latest, most advanced phone," said Josh Lowitz, Partner and Co-Founder of CiRP. "For the iPhone 5S/5C, 6% of buyers upgraded from the year- old iPhone 5. In contrast, at the launch of the iPhone 5 in September 2012, 12% of customers upgraded from the year-old iPhone 4S." Within the two-thirds of iPhone buyers that upgraded from an existing iPhone in September and October 2013, many fewer upgraded from the year-old iPhone 5, relative to the 55% of iPhone 5 buyers in September and October 2012 that upgraded from the year-old iPhone 4S.
The iPhone 5s and 5c also saw higher adoption numbers from former Android users, though adoption by former basic phone users and BlackBerry users declined, likely due to a loss of overall market share in those groups.

CIRP's data is based on a survey of 400 U.S. iPhone buyers that activated a phone after the September 20 launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c.

Article Link: iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c Tempting Fewer Early Upgraders

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
What are the aggregate numbers?

These are percentages.

One way to view the numbers in this manner is that the cross over people from Android are diluting the number of Apple iPhone users upgrading.

Simply saying that the percent of Apple upgrades is lower doesn't completely tell the story. Especially since the number of iPhone 5s and 5c units solid is significantly larger than the iPhone 5 numbers.

zifty

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
USA
If you look at the graph, the number of people who upgraded from Android is much larger. It's people from "basic phone" and Blackberries that have gone down, which isn't surprising because there are a lot less people with either of those.

If anything, the real headline here is that more Android users are switching to iPhone with this upgrade than last year.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I skipped the update... partially because it wasn't a HUGE update... partially because I am switching carriers in a month and it wasn't financially viable to upgrade.

All in all I'm happy with the iPhone 5. It was a huge upgrade in comparison to my 4S, not just in design but in speed as well. Maybe I received a lemon, but my 4S was very temperamental, crashing/freezing often and needing a restart. Have had very little issues with the 5 thus far besides breaking the lightning port and general iOS issues, like laggy bluetooth audio.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This chart showing percentages and the conclusion drawn from it is based on false logic. This chart shows a smaller percentage moving from Blackberry and basic phones. This article would have you believe fewer people with Blackberries and standard phones want to change to the iPhone. This is likely false because there are fewer people out there who even own Blackberries or standard phones. We should see that Blackberry percentage go to zero, not because Blackberry owners are shunning the iPhone, but because there will be fewer Blackberry owners.

As for fewer people changing from a standard phone, same thing. This may be more indicative of the smartphone market is more mature now and will see less and less growth in the future.

More people changing from Android to iPhones is clear here. But, again, more people own Androids than iPhones, so percentage of Android users switching could be either going up or down.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Don't forget, with all the new carrier "yearly upgrade" rip-off plans from this year, AT&T was stingy about an early upgrade for my contract and I'm sure many others.

Compare this to a couple years ago, when AT&T would actually bump-up many iPhone users upgrade eligibility so they could buy the new iPhone on day one.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If anything, the real headline here is that more Android users are switching to iPhone with this upgrade than last year.

No, we actually don't know this without looking at absolute numbers. Increased Android percentage could be just be a function of lower proportions of Blackberry/Other/standard phone (previous) owners.

mrjr101

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I was a 4S owner, so no brainer there. But Apple proved me wrong. I had the opinion before the 5S came out that iphone 5 users had no business in upgrading to the 5S. Now I think I was so wrong. The fingerprint sensor is so good and the slow mo feature so cool that I think just those two features makes the upgrade from the 5 worth it.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Don't forget, with all the new carrier "yearly upgrade" rip-off plans from this year, AT&T was stingy about an early upgrade for my contract and I'm sure many others.

Compare this to a couple years ago, when AT&T would actually bump-up many iPhone users upgrade eligibility so they could buy the new iPhone on day one.

Came to say this same thing. Surely this has something to do with the drop in upgrades.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm glad that these devices are tempting fewer early upgraders. It means Apple will need to innovate in this space more quickly to keep sales momentum high.

.... says the person who's owned every iPhone since iPhone 1. :D

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
If you look at the graph, the number of people who upgraded from Android is much larger. It's people from "basic phone" and Blackberries that have gone down, which isn't surprising because there are a lot less people with either of those.

"upgrade" from Android is a big word. "switch" from Android is more politically correct.
I've just "upgraded" from Ios 7 to Android 4.4 :cool: doesn't sound bad to your ears?

mcclint

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2004
I would LOVE to replace my iPhone 4 with a 5s but there's one minor problem.... THEY ARE SOLD OUT everywhere I go.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Or simply that most iPhone5 users where on a 2 year plan. The will com with the iPhone 6 update.

----------

"upgrade" from Android is a big word. "switch" from Android is more politically correct.
I've just "upgraded" from Ios 7 to Android 4.4 :cool: doesn't sound bad to your ears?

upgrade from android is about right.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Doesn't matter. Still made a boat load of money and will again with the 94% of the iPhone 5 upgraders.

akjs2396

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
Isle of Man
Its pretty acurate from my POV. Ive have an iPhone since the 1st gen, 5S is a joke from a 5. Im now using an Lg G2 and love it.

If the 6 is a REAL worthwhile update ill probably move back but only if the screen size increases!

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Given that I've been waiting for mine 5 weeks now, I doubt I count as an early upgrader anymore. :(

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
First time buyers

It seems odd that the number of "first phone" buyers looks like it's about double from the previous survey. Really? Of the smaller number of people (this year compared to last year) who've never owned a phone before twice as many of them decided that with the 5s it was finally worth their while to get a phone?

Assuming these percentages actually hold for the overall market (big assumption) what is it about the 5s that's made it twice as compelling for first purchasers as the 5? Fingerprint sensor? Kids excited about the slow-mo video? (The commercials showing it off did make it look pretty cool.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.