Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I was a 4S owner, so no brainer there. But Apple proved me wrong. I had the opinion before the 5S came out that iphone 5 users had no business in upgrading to the 5S. Now I think I was so wrong. The fingerprint sensor is so good and the slow mo feature so cool that I think just those two features makes the upgrade from the 5 worth it.

I might agree with you if I didn't already own a GoPro that does slow mo, bro, so...that leaves just the fingerprint reader and the A7 64-bit processor.

I'm not saying I don't want the 5S. I just don't want it enough to pay AT&T a hefty early upgrade fee for the privilege of owning one. In just 11 short months, I'll be eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 6 (or whatever they call it), which will have all the cool features of the iPhone 5S, plus even more speed, likely a different case, and perhaps something else that we don't know about yet.

I went from the iPhone to the iPhone 3G, and since then I've upgraded every two years.

With the iPad, I've owned every generation except the 4th. When I got the iPad Air, I gave my third generation iPad to my sister, who gave her iPad 2 to my mother, who gave her first generation iPad (formerly mine) to my 1-year-old nephew.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
They've been stuck on the same design for going on what, 4 years?

Build a phone that is to phones what this is to mice:

No way the design team that came up with that thinks the iPhone 4/4s/5/5s is the pinnacle of device design.

Beautiful, yes. But as all other Apple mice before it, this mouse is an unergonomic disaster.
I'm a big fan of Apple. And I think the mouse is a wonderful invention, which I prefer to use for work every day. Apple brought the mouse to the mass market, but they always sucked at making them.
Their phone designs are already a million times better than that mouse. : )

On the other hand, they seriously nailed the trackpad.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Duh

Did anyone consider that att and verizon recently changed their early upgrade policy? Perhaps that is the main reason. Silly all that research and they missed the obvious

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
I have an iPhone 4 I've had for 3 years.

The 4S came out...not enough of a change.

The 5 came out...new connector, screen still smallish compared to Android models. Not enough of a change.

5C/5S...still the same smallish screen.

I love you Apple, but until you release a 5" iphone, my debit card stays in its holster. If my iphone 4 dies before that happens, Android wins.

Give people a choice. Make a 5" iphone and a phablet iphone.

maprx

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
5 to 5s

I had 2 iphone 5 from last year. Paid 199 each. Gazelle purchased them both for $350 each. So my upgrade was for a profit, otherwise I would have not upgraded. The 5s is faster, I am not leaving Att, so its ok. But there really was no incentive to upgrade had it not been for Gazelle.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
So in theory

Some Android users will come back home to iOS when Apple releases a larger iPhone and many that started with Android or Blackberry will switch.

I would expect that this will create a few year's surge of switchers that will drive Apple's marketshare up and Android ASP down.

Translation; Apple is doomed!

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Still happy with my 3GS...
Waiting for the 3-days-real-life-battery-autonomy-iPhone, with 32GB storage in the base €650 configuration... next year? Oh and dual SIM support would be great as I'm traveling back to France quite often. But I guess this will never happen.

Plus if that could coincide with any carrier installing a tower with a signal strong enough to penetrate the walls of my flat in Islington (yes, N1 and I'm in a dead zone with all major telcos)... I'm not talking about 4G, even Edge would be a good start... Also, cell signal in the London underground would be really appreciated, we are, you know, in 2013...

All in all, with no cell signal at home and during commute (and the iPad and MBA for home/plane/train work and entertainment), there are currently really few factors that would push me towards shelling out £700 for a newer glorified iPod touch.

----------

I had 2 iphone 5 from last year. Paid 199 each. Gazelle purchased them both for $350 each. So my upgrade was for a profit, otherwise I would have not upgraded. The 5s is faster, I am not leaving Att, so its ok. But there really was no incentive to upgrade had it not been for Gazelle.

You realize the $199 downpayment was just a fraction of the actual cost of those phones - and you are paying every month for the rest of the price? if you had kept your old iPhone you could have gone off-contract and pay a substantially lower bill at the end of the month...

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I'm very sceptical about this survey. In 7 out of 12 cases more than half of all people answer at least 81% of survey questions with an accuracy no better than ±66%...

...and vice-versa.

eMaRe

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
The reason...

Because people aren't willing to upgrade for a fingerprint sensor.

A7= meaningless to most people at this point
Slow mo video= available as an app

For the first time, you make me sad Apple:(

Kreme

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
Don't like the form factor

I'm actually hoping I can hang onto my 4S as long as I can. I have the new itouch. My daughter has the 5, and I can't stand the shape and size of either of them. Not only that, there's not enough of a reason for me to upgrade when I consider that my present device does more than I need it to already.

I just don't see a significant reason to upgrade at this time. I used to jump for the newest and greatest, but I think the 'push to upgrade' trend for the past few years has finally desensitized me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.