iPhone 5S Apple case wear

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Tom2893, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Tom2893, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2014

Tom2893 macrumors 6502

Tom2893

I have the beige case and its really showing its age after like 2 months? Is there anyway to clean it? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. ahmede macrumors member

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Lol

5. Tom2893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tom2893

For £35 thats a bit disappointing. just makes the phone look scruffy

6. sasparilla1 macrumors newbie

why are you lolin? Its aniline dyed Leather. Perfectly normal wear. Its nature product. i actually like the look of worn leather.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPhone 5S Apple case wear

Clean it? Its not dirty...

You maintain it with mink oil or anything?

8. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

That's normal with natural aniline leather. It also says on the product that its "appearance will change over time as you use it".

9. RafixPhoenix macrumors regular

That's precisely the reason why I didn't purchase one.

10. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

Yep, looks like crap. I ditched my Product RED case after about 3 weeks with the edges looked like yours. I wouldn't have minded so much if the wearing would occur at least a couple more months down the road. Even with applying Lexol leather conditioner, It couldn't stop the wearing from happening. I have had Aniline leather cases in the past (Vaja) and I knew what I was getting into. I just wish the case would have kept from wearing so soon after my purchase.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

ive had my black one for about a month now and it still looks brand new, i also just got some leather conditioner for it which makes it nice and soft so i will keep putting that on it to keep it fresh.

12. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't get any color but the black. The only wear on mine is from the few drops that I have had.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Exchanged my red for a black. It looked nasty in 2-3 weeks time. It's a shame as I really want red. The black on a Space Gray is too boring.

14. Tom2893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tom2893

ill be keeping it cos it was expensive and it still feels good in hand and protects the phone. quite a surprise when you take it out of the case every so often to see a mint condition gold iPhone :D

15. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

You fanboys are funny. The pigment has rubbed off. It will continue to do this. Looks bad and hence the reason many won't buy this case.

16. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

And? I don't see a problem here. If the case wears and looks like crap after a month or so (other than black), people should know about it and then make the decision for themselves. I used mine until it looked like total crap and then moved on to another case.

17. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I agree. What is funny is whatever apple puts out, the fanboys are automatically an expert on. The leather on these cases has a very thin pigment coating. It easily wears through to the non-pigmented leather. People pretending this is natural leather and is wearing normally are incorrect.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

19. Caesars macrumors regular

I bought the same color assuming it would wear in nicely, mine looks like the OP photos and I think it looks great. I swap cases daily but that's one of my favorites.

20. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Has anyone else had the issues of one of the side stretching a bit? I notice yesterday on the right aside of the case there is a little gap were the case does meet up with the phone. I don't remember it being this way when I put the case on.

I have only taken the case off two time to clean the phone, and I have never pulled on that side before. Even if I had. I don't feel like it should stretch that easily.

21. benoit85 macrumors member

My case has a gap along the right hand side, i think it's normal though, i take the case off once a week or so to clean out the dust and stuff that gets caught in the edge so think it has just stretched slightly from doing this, phone is still nice and secure though. General wear is great, looks new still and haven't noticed any colour changes but i have got the black case.

22. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Yeah I have the black as well. I have the white iphone 5s and I think the black case looks great with it. I am just going to make sure and clean it every now and again to make sure no dust is stretching the phone. Thanks for the reply.

23. benoit85 macrumors member

No worries dude, I've got a space grey and think it looks great in the black case. I posted in another thread somewhere but a company sells decals for the logo on the back, got a retro apple logo on there at the minute, makes the case stand out a little.
    The dust and bits getting caught in the edge is the worst thing about the case though. It really needs a lip coming over the edge to stop it but other than that it's great. I wouldn't worry about dust stretching the case, i don't think thats possible but i do find when i take the phone out there is dust and bits on the back of the phone so it's finding a way in there so worth cleaning it out once in a while.
    I've never tried it myself so don't hold me responsible,lol but you could maybe wrap a elastic band around the case over night to try and tighten it back up perhaps, not sure if it would work,just a thought.

24. tvotony macrumors regular

The space grey and product red are amazing. I actually want the wear to happen on this color. I wear a lot of denim and I'm hoping that the blue rubs off on the case to give it a jean kind of feel to it

25. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I really like the space grey a lot too. For some reason white just always looks good to me.

I did see that post about the decals. I thought about order some. I would not mind having the white Apple logo on the back to match the phone.

Last night I took the case off, and tried to push on it to try and get it back into shape, but it did not work. May try the other. May just not worry about it.