iPhone 5s Camera is Amazing!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amasashi, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Amasashi macrumors member

Coming from the 4S, I just have to say that I notice a substantial improvement with the 5s's camera. I had my expectations after watching the keynote: a slightly larger aperture, sapphire crystal lens, larger sensor/pixels, and some software upgrades like dynamic exposure and auto image stabilization. These were all moves in the right direction and much better than just cramming in more megapixels like everyone else likes to do. But despite my expectations, I was still blown away by how impressive the 5s is.

With the 5s, I'm noticing increased detail and improved dynamic range in all my pictures. Autofocus is extremely fast and happens much more often than before. Shutter lag is non-existent. I am getting sharper images with noticeable improvements in exposure, contrast, and saturation all across the board. It can also do a little bit of HDR without having to actually turn it on. Really impressive.

Of course, the other features like burst mode and slow-motion video capture is great too. And the two-toned flash does make for much more natural looking photos, though I still prefer to turn it off. But as far as straight up single shot photos go, there is a huge improvement without you having to do anything. Totally love it.

2. I7guy macrumors G5

The iphone 5s camera is amazing compared to the 5, but not compared to a DSLR.

My keeper rate is about 50% on my new iphone 5s. Shots my DSLR wouldn't blink twice about, on the iphone 5s are blurry and/or underexposed. Maybe my expectations are way too high. When I take a burst hoping to get a decent shot, the best of the bunch sometimes turns out to be only slightly blurry and slightly underexposed. The endless threads about share my photo or share my video don't really do anything to show me the limitations of a phone camera are less than I thought.

I guess if you have the proper expectations you can say the camera in the iphone IS AMAZING. ;)

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Its a phone. :cool:

4. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

They basically have the same camera hardware except the 5s has a 2.2 aperture.
    The BurstMode, SloMo, AutoHDR (iOS 7.1) + other are software tweaks, not hardware.

Attached Files:

5. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

You don't say...?? :eek:

6. I7guy macrumors G5

Yes, and that's my point. All of these articles that predict the end of the DSLR because of the iphone 5S has me scratching my head.

I'll give credit where credit is due...in the correct lighting and motion scenario a 5s photo might be hard to tell apart from the top of the line consumer DSLR. IMO, that right scenario is a very narrow spread.

The 5s may put a big dent in the point and shoot market for any marginal increase in the photo quality might not be worth carrying around two cameras.

But as you pointed out, it's still a phone, albeit with a lot of interesting stuff for picture manipulation and instant sharing...certainly more flexible in the regard than my DSLR. I think it depends if your bent is taking easily shareable snaps or striving for the best you can given your equipment and skill level.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Not a photographer anymore, but my like for the iPhone camera over a point and shoot and DLSR camera's are....

DSLR & Point and Shoot cannot make phone calls

DSLR & Point and Shoot cannot go onto the web

DSLR & Point and Shoot doesn't have SIRI

DSLR & Point and Shoot cannot play music

DSLR's & Point and Shoot cannot transfer photos onto iCloud from anywhere I'm located taking pictures

DSLR can't fit into my pocket.

DSLR & Point and Shoot camera's don't have GPS

DSLR & Point and Shoot can't, etc, etc

iPhone 5S does take pretty good pictures, specially outside and that is why I sold my DSLR + Point and Shoot camera.

8. bushman4, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

bushman4 macrumors 68000

Without a doubt the iphone camera is great. It's the software basically that brings the camera to such a high level. While the DSLR has a better lenses in some cases the software that most DSLR are using leaves a lot to be desired

9. Merkie macrumors 68020

Who cares? The 5(S) fits into my pocket, a DSLR doesn't. That's what really matters as long as you're not a professional photographer. I only use my iPhone for taking pictures on trips/holidays.

10. thermal macrumors regular

If the next iPhone's camera offers optical image stabilization, it will probably replace my Canon for most photos.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

iphone 5s has missed basic shots for me, which if you strive for getting the basic shots, all of the other stuff just does not matter. Which goes back to if all you want is to snap and share, iphone is perfect...except when it can't make the shot. :eek:

----------

I'd just as soon carry around a dslr with some L lenses to get the shot I want. As I said, fitting in your pocket means nothing, if it can't get the shot you want.

Apologize if I offended any of you, however, it all depends on what you are after when you use the iphone camera.

12. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I see where your coming from, but you are obviously someone who is into photgraphy therefore you should not even be comparing the two. The ability to always have a smartphone camera tipping the scales in favor of it over DSLR users...Simply because you always have your phone on you..At least you can take the shot then. If you are going to some sort of event and quality is that important to you then bring a DSLR with you.

You can't argue about both, there is no comparison. We are probably 5-10yrs away from smartphone cameras that will be of the same quality as DLSR's in all aspects...It's not a matter of if, but when..it will happen.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

Right after I got the 5s, I went over to my friends house and while I was there figured to get some pictures of their cute dog, inside their house.

The dog was resting in his bed, only moving dog parts were tail and head. I could not get a good shot of the dog. They either were blurry or underexposed. This is what started my road to frustration with the camera.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

iPhone snaps are okay if you don't need to print them and are shooting in good light. Other than that get a proper DSLR.

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Do people really buy a cell phone for its camera?

I have yet to find a cell phone camera that gives an image with the IQ that I demand, but that's just me ... I know I am critical when it comes to photography.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I too came from a 4S to the 5S, I too was surprised and had taken for a small improvements what the 5S brought. I was wrong with the word "small", I think "big" makes a much more better description how many upgrades the camera brought.

17. SONiC5 macrumors regular

I haven't had time to really shoot the way I'd like to with the 5S's camera, but from what I've seen with it so far I'm pleasantly surprised. I've got some pretty amazing shots with my 4S, and with the 5S easily outperforming the 4S I'm excited to see what I'll be able to do with it.

A DSLR has superior image quality (duh!), but it ultimately comes down to the individual operating the camera, I've come across a ton of iPhone/Android images that can put a wealth of DSLR shots to shame.

18. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

I've been using my 5S to take all my pictures, even started using VSCO... you can see my pictures so far on my site http://647.vsco.co :p

19. garysauctions macrumors member

I'm a photographer and sometimes I wish my cameras had cell phones built into them, but then after looking at the images from my cell phone ... maybe not!

I can understand consumers being happy with the images they get from a cell phone, after all they are not exactly looking at what a photographer looks for.

I mean heck back in the day people thought a box that held film with a pinhole was a good camera too!

They're OK for snappies but if the photographer you hired to shoot an event pulls out an iPhone to shoot the event, you're being scammed.

20. lo100469 macrumors member

DSLR allows you to swap lenses... sometimes this is the only way to get a good picture. Iphone/DSLR is a great combination depending on circonstances...

21. garysauctions macrumors member

22. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It's still pretty amazing, actually. I shoot with an Olympus (Zuiko Digital lenses - some of the sharpest in the industry), and the level of clarity that the iPhone 5S achieves in good lighting is marvelous. The 4S was pretty good, too.

The level of detail drops in poor lighting fairly quickly due to what is probably a noise reduction filter, and based on EXIF data the phones don't have a particularly high max ISO. That's not unexpected, though, considering the tiny image sensor that the phone is housing.

Anyone who develops a strong interest in photography will ultimately be better served by going to a DSLR. Giving credit where it is due, the iPhone cameras are truly impressive. Citing indoor (probably low-light) shooting problems is a bit of a low blow, in my opinion, considering that even mid-range DSLRs with mid-range glass will struggle there.

23. I7guy macrumors G5

I disagree that a mid range dslr struggles in ambient indoor lighting. In low indoor lighting maybe, but most mid range dslrs should be able to crank the ISO to 6400 and above in a decently lit indoor scene. Some post process and your done. Under exposed is handleable in pp, blur isn't.

The camera in the 5s is good for what it is, and it maybe amazing compared to the 4s, but I clearly have to learn how to use this camera as my first foray into iPhone photography was not what I expected.

24. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Actually they don't, the 5s has a 15% larger sensor. Not a huge increase, but combined with the faster aperture and improved signal processor it will give a good boost in low light performance and just general image quality.

25. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Since you seem to have some knowledge of the internal workings how are you measuring the 15% larger sensor? Pixel Count? Physical Size?

What is the pixel density on the 5s as compared to the 5?