iPhone 5S Case (Extremely Light, No bulk) ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by andy8, Nov 1, 2013.

1. andy8 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I don't know which case I should be purchasing for the iPhone 5S.

I am very careful with the device and I don't need something bulky like the Otterbox to protect the phone. I need a case that's very lightweight, thin and doesn't add bulk and that takes care of minor scratches.

Any recommendations - perhaps something that you have
    used or using currently ?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The new Apple 5s leather case. Very light, very thin, feels great.

3. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

4. Ajaredic macrumors regular

Ajaredic

Got the slim armor and love it. Fits perfectly.

5. andy8 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. What if Slim Armor is compared to Spigen Ultra Hybrid ? Suppose the latter could be lighter. But I'm unsure if its of good quality as I've read some bad reviews about it, mainly due to scratches on the back even after the removal of plastic.

6. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

The new leather case is the best phone case I've ever bought.

There are thinner out there, but my iPhone fits in my pants' coin pocket with the 5S case on.

7. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I love the Magpul field case. I had one on my 4S and I got the same for my 5S. It's really thin and light, and provides a lot of grip for your phone too. Very inexpensive, really high quality, and they're made in the USA! Can't ask for more.

8. tygrubb macrumors regular

Caudabe Veil. 0.35mm thin, feels like a naked iPhone.

9. rperalta macrumors 6502

+1 on Caudabe The Veil...best .35mm case in the market in terms for quality, precise cuts, and customer service.

10. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

looks nice - does it add any grip or is it hard/smooth?

11. andy8 thread starter macrumors regular

Fantastic case. The only thing I miss with this is the lay-on-table design.

12. tygrubb macrumors regular

Hard to explain...both. It has a matte finish, but the matte finish is still smooth. Has a high-quality feel to it. More grippy than the naked iPhone, as grippy as most cases with smooth TPU exteriors, but obviously not as grippy as something textured. More towards the smooth side, but I haven't had any grip issues for my usage. I keep a Spigen Slim Armor S handy for times when I know the Veil isn't appropriate.

----------

I like it specifically because it doesn't have any lip. I bought it because I wanted as close to naked as possible. There are other thin jackets out there that do have a lip. This one hugs the chamfers nice and tight.

13. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

thanks - sounds like a great compromise when tempted but hesitant to go au naturel.

14. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

i vote for the spigen neo hybrid! i have had dozens of cases, tied for first is the spigen neo hybrid with a lay on the table design and full protection while being very thin, or the apple leather case which i got today which is also very nice!

15. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Everyone check this case out that I found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pen-Gold-Sho...item485b7a2ad3

16. tygrubb macrumors regular

For every iPhone I've ever had, without exception, I always end up going naked with it after spending tons of money on various cases. Always. Granted, I have always ended up with scratched and nicks, but they haven't been that bad and don't get noticed in everyday usage. So this time, when the urge to get a case for a case's sake struck, I hoped to short-circuitry the usual cycle and save myself some money by buying a thicker-duty case for when I know I need and just going naked the rest of the time. So that Veil is sort of a bonus with the scratch- and maybe minimal/ one-time kamikaze drop protection (would prefer that it absorb the blow and crack to protect the phone, it's inexpensive enough to replace). The Veil just happens to be so thin that it feels almost like naked. If it were any thicker I wouldn't use it.

I tried skins before....they get ratty and dingy and collect grime at the edges after a while. Hopefully this will stay clean. Time will tell.

17. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

This. The Caudabe is fantastic. If thin is what you want, that's the case for you.

18. ksoze macrumors regular

The Veil is so thin yet sturdy, Caudabe should consider going into the prophylactic business.

19. jayem1234 macrumors regular

I second this one. Dropped my phone face down on concrete last night and it withstood the impact.

20. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

For potential buyers, a downside of Apple's own offering is that it cannot accommodate Apple's own 30-pin to lighting adapter. Since I often need to plug my iPhone into my car's system for charging, and since that cable predates the lightning connector so I must use an adapter, Apple's case was a non-starter.

A shame, otherwise it looks ideal.

21. tygrubb macrumors regular

I use a 30-pin car connection also. Don't bother with the standard Lightening to 30..."block", I'll call it. Get the 0.2m (8 inch) L-to-30 adaptor that has a short cable on it between the standard-sized Lightening plug and the 30-pin plug. This works great and even made it less bulky in my car than before. I used it with the Apple leather case without issue. I've since switched to a Spigen Slim Armor S and then a Caudabe Veil and haven't had any fitment issues with either.

22. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

From what I've read, the .2m is still too big to fit the case, the housing around the plug is larger that the standard cable

23. tygrubb macrumors regular

That's what I read, too, but I used the actual thing without issue. Of course, I ditched the leather case for other reasons and didn't inspect it too closely, but when I did use it the plug seemed to fit just fine. It appeared to be the same size as the Lightening plug on the cable that came with the phone.

24. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Also chiming in for the caudabe veil. Love, love, love mine.