iPhone 5s "futureproof"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dmaynard83, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

I don't understand why so many people upgrading from the 5S.

The iPhone 5S was called future proof last year because of the 64bit architecture, but it looks like so many people jumping on the 6 bandwagon.

I understand (kind of) because the upgraded screen size. I honestly think the screens are getting too big and I'm waiting for the movement for small screens again. I feel like the whiners have won for now.

Anyone else feel their 5S is perfectly fine and feel no pressure to upgrade?

2. rainking macrumors regular

Will it get Apple Pay since it has a finger print scanner? If not, I would upgrade for that alone. I'm more excited about Apple Pay than anything else.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Don't read too much into it. Many of us like to upgrade yearly and we sell our year-old iPhones to help cover the cost of the new ones, but we're not representative of the typical iPhone users.

4. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

So wanting a larger screen is whining in your book.

5. Dmaynard83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

Apple pay would be nice if every place with a credit card scanner had apple pay.

Only select restaurants and stores will have it. Maybe in a couple years it will be great, for now it's like NFC payments (meaning very rarely used).

6. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

The 5s was one of the best Apple products ever put out. There is no reason to upgrade unless you really want the big screen and early access to NFC capabilities.

However, about the small screen size thing. I would be surprised if there was a movement to ever have phones smaller than 4 inches ever again due to the media needs that come with the device.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Or you can wait for the :apple: Watch as you'll be able to do Apple Pay when paired with the iPhone 5/5s/5c.

8. nikster21 macrumors member

If I had a 5s I certainly can see your point, heck my 5 seems to be keeping up with all of my apps, accept for the battery....

I have a feeling that you'll be waiting a long time for anything smaller than a 4" screen though.

9. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

whiners? If you want a smaller screen, there are plenty of phones out there. Heck, you can still get a flip phone if you want.

10. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I'm happy with the iPhone 5s. I might like the iPhone 6, but I definitely wouldn't want the Plus size (although I would like its optical image stabilization as I have shaky hands). The only thing I'm disappointed in is that they didn't include NFC in the 5s to "futureproof" it to work with Apple Pay. NFC has been included in a lo of Android phones for quite a while.

But the way I figure it, the 5s was my first smartphone and in a couple years I can survey the market and find something new. No one needs a phone as nice as the 5s let alone an upgrade, so I consider myself lucky (probably more so because the phone and plan were a gift from my parents).

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Nothing wrong with the 5S. People just like buying new toys.

12. nikster21, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

nikster21 macrumors member

Nothing is future proof, if there was, then we might as well shutdown all R & D now!

13. AmazingGraceTx macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

I actually just upgraded yesterday to a 5S. Space was becoming an issue, so I took advantage of the zero down and went for it.

14. Hendry macrumors member

The 5s is a fantastic phone and I am perfectly happy with it. I am upgrading because I like shiny new things.

15. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Nope. ApplePay requires the NFC hardware in the phone.

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I love the 5S but wish it was smaller. The only reason why I'm upgrading is because the carrier plan is not future-proof and will be more expensive for me to not upgrade.

17. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like someone is just bitter because they got a new phone recently and now the new designed bigger phone came out.

64 bit can't future proof anything.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

NFC and ApplePay
    Faster LTE and VoLTE support
    LTE carrier aggregation
    Bigger battery, longer battery life
    Better/Faster CPU

These are the reasons I'm upgrading. Then of course, there's the bigger screen which is the reason most other people are drooling over it.

Yes, if you're the type of phone user who likes to keep their phones longer than a year, the 5s is a good buy. While there's no guarantee as to being "future proof," the speculation was that a 64-bit processor means the 5s will be supported by future OS versions for longer. And that's probably right.

But still, that doesn't mean phone development will stay still. If you want any of the new features that require new hardware, then you must still upgrade. The 5s screen isn't going to magically grow an inch when you upgrade it to iOS8.

I agree with you on this. we appear to be in the minority.

I don't feel pressure to upgrade. Still, the other new features made it worth my while. That, and my significant other kind of expects to get my 5s as a hand-me-down, since that happens every year. :p

19. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

If I had a 5S, I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade. I'd just stick to my cell plan and upgrade every two years, so I'd likely get the 6S or whatever they announce next year.

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Nothing is ever "future proof" in technology. Given Apple's track record, the only thing you can be reasonably sure is that a iDevice bought on launch day will be "current" for at least a year before it begins to play second fiddle to newer hardware. But even that is not too sure an assurance as the owners of the iPad 3 found out.

21. mellofello macrumors 65816

I honestly envy people that don't have the gadget list that I do. My close friend finally (serendipitously) cracked the screen on his iPhone 4 last week. He was actually bummed that he needs to get a new phone. Meanwhile I'm up in the middle of the night furiously refreshing the apple website begging them to take my money, even though I have a pristine note 3 sitting right here.

More power to you if you like you 5s. Don't let us suck you in. You will have more money in your pocket, and feel more fulfilled in life if you just overcome the consumerist tendencies. I'm to far gone already lol.

22. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

To operate in 64-bit mode takes a minimum of 4GB of RAM. Plus, it is only a dual core processor too. I sure Apple in the next few years will go with quad core and begin asking app developers to re-configure to 64 bit mode because upcoming Snapdragon 810 is a quad core "64 bit" SoC!

23. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Well that is just purely incorrect.

24. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Whiners? ###

25. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

LOL wut? Because the 5S...doesn't operate? Just keep spitting out random stuff because it might sound plausible to someone.