iPhone 5S & Glass Screen Protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rstark18, Sep 5, 2013.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Just a bit of speculation...

I just started using glass screen protectors a few months ago and absolutely love it (don't have to worry about scratches). Btw, I use the BodyGuardz Pure.

I wonder if glass screen protectors will work on the iPhone 5S. I can see the cutout in the glass for the button creating interference with the fingerprint reader.
    I'd like to order one so that I can have one on hand the day my new phone shows up.

2. DariusX macrumors regular

I have contacted several glass screen protector companies about this and this is what I have so far...

Bodyguardz: they have a new line of products for the 5S (most likely a thinner glass) that will be announced right after apple's keynote on the 10th

Mime already has a 0.15mm thick feather glass, which is thin enough to not interfere with the home button

I didn't ask spigen, simply because I'm not a fan of their glass products due to the ridiculously weak oleophobic coating on them.

3. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bodyguardz is what I'm interested in. Thanks for doing the legwork.

4. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

Can you please elaborate on what did you mean by weak oleophobic coating?

Was planning to buy glas.tr nano

5. DariusX macrumors regular

I've purchased the glas.t several times for friends and family members, they've all complained to me that the oleophobic coating wears off quickly (in about 2 months) and that fingerprints become difficult to clean off. This is not the case with the bodyguardz pure however; I've used it since february of this year, and the fingerprint resistance is still strong.

In addition, I did a side-by-side comparison of optical clarity between the Pure and Glas.T, the retina display looks more vibrant and clear with the Pure.

Hope this helps.

6. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

Thanks for the prompt response. I appreciate it.

I had a glas.tr which I noticed lately that the smudges are getting difficult to go away. And I thought maybe I got a bad piece. But now it reinforces my thought that they have bad quality coating.
    Thanks again.

7. DariusX macrumors regular

No problem,
    These glass protectors are expensive, and I think it's important for people to get the most out of their money.

8. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Another vote for the pure. Had mine 8 or 9 months. It has a few fine scratches., but the coating is still good. Their replacement program is good too.

9. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

FYI. I placed my 5S order today with Bodyguardz for the Pure. They said they are using the same one for the 5S as the 5 (and the 5C).

10. DariusX macrumors regular

Interesting...the 0.4mm thickness of the Pure is certainly going to cause some trouble with the fingerprint sensor, I wonder why they didn't address this possible issue.

And if it's the same product, they really shouldn't call it 'new' on their website -__-

11. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Whereas the Spigen GLAS.t NANO SLIM comes in at 0.2mm much slimmer.

Plus according to their twitter they are revising all GLAS screen protectors for the 5s.

12. DariusX macrumors regular

Spigen will probably release another 10 + glass protectors by the end of this year. They can't seem to release one great product and stick with it. And as I have stated before, their oleo phobic coating is almost non-existent.

I'll think about getting mine from MimeUSA, since their feather glass is 0.15mm thick and is also reasonably priced.

13. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was watching a torture test on YouTube and the Mime broke pretty easily.

I am disappointed that BodyGuardz didn't restyle theirs for the 5S.

14. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Source video, please?

15. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol. I knew as soon as I posted someone would ask for that o I was just about to edit my post when...

Here it is
    http://youtu.be/ec5mpioEiII

16. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

That test is totally unfair. He used like a 5-lb mini sledgehammer, and it still survived all the hits until he hit it with the corner of the hammer.

17. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

18. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

how do these glass screen protectors affect the fitting of cases?

19. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've had my BG Pure on my iP5 with a Speck Pixel HD and a Monoprice bumper. Both are perfect fits. Glass goes exactly to the edge of the case.

20. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Suppose that saves the peeling off with some of the cases that happens to me.

21. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

22. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

23. Vidd, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

EDIT: Whoops, these are the glass fronts, silly me.

24. BodyGuardz. macrumors member

BodyGuardz.

Hey guys,

Glad to see you are interested in ScreenGuardz Pure for the new iPhone 5S!

To answer your questions:

• Yes, the Pure will work with the fingerprint scanning feature of the iPhone 5S

• Regarding the thickness: The Pure is designed at the thickness of .4mm because it was engineered to be "screen protection", rather than just a screen protector. This thickness offers the best amount of shock protection while still being thin. Yes, it could be made thinner, but then it is just a nice piece of glass without the added protection. Personally, I have dropped my iPhone multiple times; and sometimes the Pure breaks from the impact, but my screen has never broken.

• Regarding cases: The Pure doesn't fit with all cases, but it fits with a lot of great ones. See this page for a list of popular cases that are compatible with Pure.

[biased opinion follows]

We pride ourselves on the idea that having a pure on your iPhone is the same level or better screen protection as any of those bulky cases. So instead of wrapping your beautifully designed phone with a big ugly case, use the Pure for your screen; and you can add a stylish case or skin for any back protection you may want.

Check out this infographic to learn more about why Pure is a good investment.

[biased opinion concluded]

Thanks again for your interest. Let me know if you have any more questions!