iPhone 5S has 12.10GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmj102, Nov 27, 2014.

1. dmj102 macrumors 6502

Shouldn't the capacity be 16GB or slightly under? I just got my iPhone 5S from the on-line Apple Store and this is what it shows on the iTunes Summary page.

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Normal OP. Lots of stuff on the phone including the iOS

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Chalk it up to overhead for iOS. It is what it is, and while I think we all would like to see more free space out of the box (so to speak), its simply not the case.

4. Let My heart go macrumors newbie

Capacity

I'm think it awfully unfair to mark phone sixteen gb which actually contain just twelve useful gb.

5. Ibaorus macrumors member

It's normal. Hey, OS needs same space too you know.

6. Let My heart go macrumors newbie

Nope. It's not. Customer feel frustraited when he try to fit his 16gb data in 12 gb phone. When I'm discover my iphone 64 gb capacity really is just 57 I feel like they steal this gb and deceive me. I'm recon manufacturer must give to user honest 16 gb and keep phone os on different vault.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, its normal, and not dishonest.

When you buy a Wondows PC with for example a 500GB hdd. The Windows OS takes a good 16-30GB of that. So its not entitely useable either.

Same with Android.

So same with Apple.

They all advertise the storage capacity of the internal module.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The argument that "everyone else is doing it" isn't really a good one when speaking of honesty. For whatever reason, there have been two accepted definitions of capacity that don't seem to bother enough people to make a change.

By the way, even without the software you aren't getting the advertised 16gb (but yes, that's the case with any device)

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

It has been this way for YEARS.

Every manufacturer does this.

No one is trying to trick people, nobody is lying, and there's nothing we can do.

I wish this didn't keep coming up.

10. Let My heart go macrumors newbie

I engineer and I work hard to make my for example railway flat car payload honest 75 tons and tare weight 25 tons.
    It will be easy to take few tons from payload and make strong structure but I can't do that because I will be lost my honesty. No one will believe me in future.

My opinion is all manufacturers must mark honest capacity on their production and not confuse customers with this meaningless numbers.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay...

Sure, but if it's ALWAYS been this way, it's easy to figure it out.

They aren't lying, the storage inside is 16 gigs.

The OS isn't going to be the same size every time, so what number would you like them to put on there? 12.10? 13.4? 11.6? That's even more confusing.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it is like the OP has never bought a computer before.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The module payload is 16GB, and it came installed with maybe 4ish GB of iOS on it. Now you have 12.1GB for your other files.

This is a very simply concept...

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

No, no. There was never 16GB to begin with. Not really

----------

Likely just never paid attention. When you are buying a machine with 500+ GB of space, you have virtually no immediate constraints. When you buy a device with 16GB of storage, if you have any media, it fills up fast.

----------

Unfortunately the comparison would only work if, for example, it was acceptable to use metric AND imperial units at will in your measurments. That is effectively what happens with storage capacities. They utilize two forms of measure. Advertised units are different than the units the OS sees/reports.

15. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Agree. A simple search could've resolved this. And by the way, It even says right on the box of any Apple device that actual formatted capacity less.

Attached Files:

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Isn't the Surface Pro 32GB almost half used just by the OS?

17. Let My heart go macrumors newbie

As it is

I completely agree with these all.
    I understand this and buy 64gb capacity.
    But still.
    When I go to market and buy one pound bread I receive honest pound bread not less.
    When I buy 4 seat car I receive four seat car not three or two.
    Only in digital market customer receive half of capacity in storage iphone 8gb.
    And it frustration for inexperienced customer.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its been this way since the first computers and electronic devices, so there really isn't an excuse for being inexperienced and the box clearly states that the formatted capacity is less. Therefore, its on the consumer for not reading the fine print or doing the research before spending hundreds of dollars on a product.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, there was 16GB to begin with; it got loaded with the OS. Or did you expect the OP to get a 16GB phone with no OS installed?

20. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Breaking News! Large corporations are scum! And now, the weather...

----------

I think it's weird that Windows 98 was something like a 400MB install and could more or less do everything iOS can do, except for not having restrictions on what you could do, but including constant crashes, BSOD, and craptastic multitasking LMAO.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes. Samsung is just as bad with the Galaxy S5, I think the 16GB version only has around 9-10GB accessable to the user out of the box. They are the worst.

22. dmj102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice reply. I simply asked a question and now I know the answer. I didn't think of the iOS on it. I've owned computers since the 1980s for your information. With iTunes, the capacity is in your face and that's why I noticed it. I suppose I could do a restore and see what the capacity really is.

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Guess our government is right and we are not too "educated" on how things work. The OS and apps have ALWAYS taken space on an advertised drive size. It is the USERS misunderstanding of the facts that makes them feel cheated and frustrated. :rolleyes:

Maybe our regulation nation will soon required to list the amount left on a drive just like the calories on snacks. :(

24. Paco II macrumors 65816

No one should be surprised at the amount of free storage space available on a device. It is the purchasers responsibility to have done their homework on such things.

That being said, with hard drives and such, the percentage used by the OS has historically been pretty small. With 16GB iPhones, that percentage is now quite large. And it probably wouldn't be a bad thing if Apple, somehow, made extra sure the purchaser is aware of that.

25. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

That's literally impossible. They don't just magically add a few extra gigabytes.
    What difference does it even make, really. So what you lose a few GB extra space. You are buying the lowest price iPhone at that point.
    I have a 12.6GB phone. I understand that the os takes up space.