iPhone 5s: How much faster is it than iP5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ckavanas, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ckavanas macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5, and I love it. I use it everyday.

If my main uses are web browsing, texting and email, is there any benefit to me at all in getting a 5s? I do want the best that is available, but if I'm not going to see much of a difference in a 5s from a 5 with the activities I listed, I'll just stick with my 5.

I'm not a gamer at all, and I don't intend on taking advantage of the M7 or the 64 bit in regards to gaming.

Is the speed difference that noticeable?

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 5s is faster, but in your situation, I doubt you'd notice the difference.

3. ckavanas thread starter macrumors member

Something else I might mention... when the iPhone 6 comes, it'll likely have a bigger screen, which I'm not a fan of. I'm probably one of few who actually likes the current iPhone screen sizes, and anything bigger just seems like an Android phone to me.

So I'm good with the screen size for a while. I doubt I'll upgrade to the 6 when it comes out.

4. cynics macrumors G3

With your use I doubt you notice much of a difference in speed.

That said if you are happy with your iPhone 5 I'd hold onto it. If the 6 doesn't have a bigger screen you can get that. However if it does then you can get a new 5S at a discounted price as Apple will lower it for the new model release.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i went from a 5 and didn't notice a difference in speed but the touch id is nice. but if your 5 is working id say wait for the 6 just in case, the 5s will probably still be sold at a discount so you could get it then.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This boils down to the same type of argument people had when the iPhone 4 was out and the iPhone 4S came out. How much faster is the iPhone 4 than the 4S? Well, you can see that nowadays.

Now, take that scenario and apply it to the 5 and 5S. Same case.

7. 869639 macrumors 6502

There was a bigger difference in speed boost from 4 to 4S due to Single Core vs Dual Core, 5/5S not as much noticeable difference based on your usage as they both are Dual core, both have same amount of ram etc

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

False, not much when running the OS itself. The speed boost was noticed in games (and it was widely reported). But for the average user it came down to OS usage. Here is where both phones came down to the same.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

I have both the 5 and 5S.

Honestly if all you do is email text web browse 95% of the time. Than the jump from 5 to 5S isn't worth it.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

None of the main uses you list are processor-intensive. I doubt you'd notice the difference between a 3GS and a 5S if that's all you use your phone for. (Well, LTE speeds might make a difference in your browsing.)

I use my iPhone as a portable presentation platform, for GPS navigation and other challenging uses, and I feel the difference vs. my old iPhone 4 every day.

11. 869639 macrumors 6502

Even the OS...as it progressed lagged less on the 4S than it did on the 4...there is a difference that is much more noticeable between 4/4S on every day use vs 5/5S

12. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

The 5 is good hardware but the 5s really is much better...

BUT personally I can't see upgrading from a 5/5c to a 5s. I mean if you have money to burn, but these things are expensive, and at worst we'll probably get the next gen by October (if not earlier as rumors suggest). I'd personally skip at least one generation...heck, I wouldn't upgrade from a 4s that's even further back.

13. dba415 macrumors 6502

You'll notice the difference in a year or two when ios8 and beyond come out.

14. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's all down to what you do....before selling my 5 I did a few timing tests based on the stuff I do on my phone every day.

My new 5S is faster, and I really like the camera, it's way ahead of the 5's but in most real world use, you aren't going to see anything that dramatic...after all the 5C is basically a 5 with a different enclosure and that seems to work for folks

16. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I've only had the 5S a couple of days now (was a Valentines Day pressie) so haven't had a chance to really put it through its passes compared to my old 5.

Thus far my screen isn't as bright or quite as good contrast wise. There are some definite nice improvements on the camera (which I use often) and the TouchID is a godsend meaning I can at last use a strong pass code and still be able to get into my phone quickly. (I seriously need this now on my iPad. I'd also love the touch sensor to allow Touch to press like you can on a MBP trackpad)

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I like my iPhone 5S, but to be honest the only real difference from my previous 5 is battery life (and TouchId ) ..... No speed difference in normal usage nor in games

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I see many people mentioned "with your [OP's] use, you wouldn't notice a difference". Ok, great. So what sort of usage do you folks thing would constitute noticing a difference in speeds? Talking today, of course, not future iOS releases. :)

19. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

No.

20. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

21. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

22. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

The device is about 2X faster in both GPU and CPU performance. The RAM performance is increased since it uses LPDDR3 RAM which allows it to have the burst mode option in camera. GPU performance wouldn't be noticeable unless you're playing a lot of newer games (most aren't taking advantage of it, just increasing framerate on current games).

23. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Better as heck be faster. I payed an extra 400 for the 5s.

24. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

The contrast between the 4 and 4S was simply because the 4 is just so darned slow.

Keep in mind that with each of the previous iPhone releases: the 5S, the 5, and the 4S, Apple put in a new CPU design (as well as a nice performance boost).

The iPhone 4 was just an overclocked iPhone 3GS. Same CPU and GPU. Pretty much anything new was guaranteed to run way better.
    The 3GS was a huge jump over the 3G, but the 4 was just a new revision of the 3GS.

25. (Chanticleer) macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 5 and my wife has an iPhone 5S, and it is faster, not much but you can notice it. They are the two best phones available.