iPhone 5s - ios7 parallax effect stuttering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i0Nic, Sep 24, 2013.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I have a 5s which seems to have a weird stutter effect when the parallex is on. It's particularly noticeable when you unlock the phone and go to the home screen, the icons and background lags/stutters briefly.

I have an iPad mini and iPhone 5 and haven't seen this issue on those devices. Anyone else seen this? I'm wondering if it's worth returning the phone for, it may be an accelerometer hardware issue or could be software.

2. mds1256 macrumors regular

Its to do with the position on which you locked the device, if it was slightly angled and when you unlock it, it is at a slightly different angle then it shifts to the correct position, you should find that if you lock it vertical and unlock it vertical then it should stay in the same position. Poor if you ask me and I turned it off until apple fix this (logged a bug) as it looks rubbish.

3. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

My 5s seems to do it a lot more than my iPad and 5, much more noticeably so. It also doesn't matter if it's vertical/horizontal no matter which angle it's unlocked.

4. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Im sure they're gonna optimize the code in 7.1

5. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

You guys don't think there could be a particular issue with my phone?

6. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Nope I've seen it too. It's software not hardware. And there likely will be a program fix for it down the line.

7. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

8. garethjs macrumors 6502

Ya me too. It kinda jumps into place. Didn't notice this on the 5 or the mini.

9. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm wondering if all 5S are behaving like this? Definitely doesn't happen on my mini.

10. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually my friends 5S doesn't seem to do it, at least it's nowhere near as noticeable as my phone..

11. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Further on this, when a dynamic wallpaper is used the jumps/stutter seem to go away almost completely. So at least on my iPhone it seems to be an issue with static wallpapers and the parallax effect.

12. mush10 macrumors regular

I agree. My 5 didn't not do this, but my 5S does.

13. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Must have something to do with that second motion processor. They need to adjust sensitivity to it or something.

14. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

15. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

My 5 does this, it has through most of the beta.. I dont remember it doing it during b1 but I wont say it didnt.. I just attributed it to the parallax effect recalibrating to neutral after a certain amount of time. Still does it once in a while.

16. richard371 macrumors 68000

Yes my 5S does it from time to time. Apple has some kinks to work out with the 5S motion sensor as its also ver inaccurate compared to my 5 and iPad as many others have also noticed.

17. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

So it seems like it affects a substantial smount of iPhone 5s', though perhaps not all of them. Has anyone got a 5s where this does not happen at all?

I'm really hoping its a software glitch that can be fixed in an update as it's seriously annoying my OCD. Also I don't really want to return my phone or try to get it replaced at the Genius Bar with stock levels so low I have no chance.

18. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

19. Liebo macrumors regular

Liebo

I think it's a software thing, it does as described on my 4S

20. catskinsox macrumors member

catskinsox

Ugh.. This was driving me bat$*it crazy. I was coming here to ask this very question, but (smartly) searched first. I'm glad this wasn't just me. Makes me feel like it probably is, in fact, a software issue that will be fixed down the line. Thanks for the suggestions on how to reduce the effect for now. Otherwise, the phone is great, but I'm very OCD to this sort of thing. Once noticed, I can't un-notice. :)

21. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I'm on a 5S and it's quite noticeable. I'll place it on a table and then pick it up and it stutters before it activates. Not pretty.

22. Abbsta macrumors member

23. flashflooder macrumors regular

The fact that this is predominantly 5s related leads me to believe it could be tied to the inaccurate gyro/compass which has been extensively documented (and is currently ongoing, no resolution yet).

24. gCloud macrumors 6502a

This is probably related to the broken gyro affecting most 5s's. Disable prallax and move on :)