iPhone 5s just caught on fire

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WAM2, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WAM2, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

My iPhone 5S has just caught fire while i was using it (not charging.)

Screen bulged up so I yanked it off, and disconnected the battery.

I have pictures.

No 3rd Party cables or anything. All stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

OMG!! I hope you're alright. A phone should never do that. I would go to an Apple store ASAP and get that sorted out. That is unacceptable!

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Dude, get that thing outside and don't breathe those fumes.

4. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Apple Store is 2 Cities away, I'm on the Phone with Apple right now.

My finger got burned from something "spitting" out of the battery while it was venting.

All in all, I read about this happening before, but never really didn't think it would do that on MY iPhone..

My luck ._.

----------

Too late on the breathing.

I got it outside AFTER it vented because it was extremely hot.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

if your finger was burned, go to the hospital so that they can properly identify your chemical burn. Then, take your phone, finger, and hospital bill to Apple and demand a full refund, new phone, and a reimbursement for your hospital visit. If they refuse, sue. You should not have to go to the hospital because of your iPhone.

For anyone who may take offense to my suggestion he sue: I'm not the type of person who believes that litigation should always be involved. But at the very least, Apple should be bending over backwards to satisfy the OP. Get pictures of your burn, get a signed statement from the doctor, and show all this to the manager at the Apple Store. I'm sure you'll be amply compensated.

6. BM79 macrumors newbie

7. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

It's not a bad burn though, it is just a slight red mark.

I would feel completely retarded/greedy.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

More likely than not, it's a first degree temperature burn, not a chemical burn. The MSDS sheet for LiIon batteries indicate that flushing any chemically exposed areas with water should be sufficient to mitigate any adverse affects from chemical exposure.

A serious pure temperature burn is another matter, but given that the OP is clearly able to type, it's reasonable to assume his fingers are okay.

He will likely get one or the other, but not both. Getting a refund OR a new phone will make the OP whole. Getting both is overreaching.

He doesn't need to go to the hospital. And if he genuinely did, it would probably be too late by now anyway.

You're making reactionary assumptions before Apple has even been made aware of the issue, and had an opportunity to bend over backwards (or not). So yeah, people are gonna take issue to that.

OP: Apple definitely needs to do you a solid, but don't start waving subpoenas around until after Apple has had a chance to make it right. Give them an opportunity, if it's a good response for you, then take it. If not, then escalate. But stay calm and don't be confrontational unless it becomes necessary.

9. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Ha! Don't. Take it back to the store and get that full refund and brand new phone.

10. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

it's never a bad thing to cover all your bases :)

11. businezguy macrumors 6502

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

A few possibilities:

- Defective or damaged charging circuitry
    - Internal damage (either factory or otherwise) causing a tear in the lining of the battery
    - Defective or damaged cells
    - Moisture or water damage causing short circuits in the wrong places, or water or moisture coming in contact with the material inside the battery somehow.
    - Manufacturing defects: bad lining/container, bad charging logic or circuitry, chemical breakdown of electrodes or charge material
    - Keys or other metal objects shorting contacts at the wrong place and at the wrong time
    - Excessive heat or voltage applied

Batteries are serious business. Even alkaline batteries carry a risk of explosion due to damage, though the effective power is probably less.

13. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Phone didn't touch any metal objects, and there was no moisture (nor has there ever been), and there is no physical damage to the phone, i treated it like a baby.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then you need to tell Apple this and get a replacement.

15. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I currently am.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

That is scary, OP I hope you are okay and get this mess sorted out.

I read that LI-Ion batteries have the potential to do that and can under the right circumstances. Scary never the less as you could have had an iphone with a bad battery.

17. blarivee macrumors 6502

Holy smoke. Good thing you weren't talking on the phone when that happened or you'd have a serious face burn.

18. 869639 macrumors 6502

Are you the original owner of the iPhone?

19. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Yes, I am.

I bought it Launch day night.

20. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

21. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

No, I don't have a reason too, and I love Apple.

Crap happens, I just didn't think it would happen to me.

22. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Agreed. This stuff happens. Apple gets more attention over it because they are considered a high end brand. It's like people obsessing over Teslas catching on fire. That happens all the time with gas-powered cars too.

Take it to an apple store and I guarantee you they will swap it out immediately. They will likely want it studied by engineers just in case there is some design flaw that could result in lawsuits. Apple takes this stuff very seriously.

23. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I do hope the issue does get fixed. I've read about other iPhones (5 and 5C) Catching fire, so there has got to be something thats flawed.

24. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

@OP, I'm curious, how long have you owned this particular phone. I'm wondering if this could happen at any time to phones that we've owned for more than a month or so.

25. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

As already stated, it's not just iPhones. Laptop batteries, cell phones of all brands, and even batteries for large airliners have been known to vent (the link explains why, by the way). Batteries, like other devices, have a percentage of defective components. It just so happens that this component stores a large amount of energy, and if released in an uncontrolled manner, the results are pretty dramatic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.