iPhone 5s Might Need Replacing... Genius Bar Upgrade to 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 17, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm not expecting this thread to yield any real results... Just curious if the Genius Bar ever let anyone upgrade rather than taking a replacement. I know this happens if they run out of the model you had. My mic sporadically works so I'm not sure if it's a software issue as some had. But maybe they'll let me upgrade to a 6 Plus if I pay a little ;). Doubt it lol.

2. davefromca macrumors 6502

Nope I cant see them letting you do that lol.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Very, very unlikely. A), they almost certainly have stock of the 5s, and B) They'd probably just order in the model needed or repair it while you wait if they didn't.

4. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Noooooo lol and they will have plenty of 5s around.

5. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

Not even a small chance.

Frankly, unless you paid full price, the phone doesn't even really belong to you until it's paid off. So, they'd be unable to do anything about it.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Not too concerned. Hopefully I can last till Nov and sell the replacement sealed then use my second line for my 6 +.

Just wanted to know if anyone got lucky :). I've heard of at least a few cases in the past but that's usually on AppleCare on a 2+ year-old model they didn't have in stock. Although there are a few stories where Geniuses replace a phone 1-2 years out of warranty

7. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

a) No.

b) If they don't have stock, they'll order one in.

c) This only ever happens in limited circumstances, where there is a supply limitation on replacement phones.

9. kendu2412 macrumors regular

10. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No. Even if they didn't have the exact model of 5s you have, they would order you a replacement and make you wait. Now, you are more then welcome to trade in your old iPhone for store credit and use that towards a new iPhone but they won't give you a 6 Plus even for the difference.

11. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This has happened to me ONE time. Last year I bought a white 5c on launch day and starting having issues two weeks in. I took that one back go a replacement. That one started having issues also. So I took that one to the Genius Bar and got a replacement. Well 6 weeks later that one has issues too... You see the theme here?

Anyways after the third one they ordered me a brand new 5c in. After one month that one had issues as well. At this point I was fed up and emailed Tim Cook. That email received immediate response. Apple executive offices called me and set me up with another new iPhone 5c. These phones were brand new not replacements they came with the wrapping and charger and everything. That one too started having issues. After 6 iPhone 5c's Apple gave me a free upgrade to the iPhone 5s. Only because I had so many issues and was wasting a lot of my time.

So in short. I don't think they will upgrade you at the Genius Bar. If you start having a lot of issues out of the replacements you receive then you need to call Apple instead of going to the Genius Bar...

12. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I know, I know.

They couldn't anyway. Everyone's iPhones would stop working right before a new release if they did ;).

13. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Not how loans work. :rolleyes:

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Very true! Then everyone will need a replacement so there wouldn't be any preorders!

15. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

So, you get the title to your car while you're still paying the loan off?

So, you can cancel your iPhone plan without paying the phone off? Cancel without paying the penalty, and they can blacklist your their phone.

Might not be the technical way the law reads, but, it's the way it works in the real world.

16. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If the loan is secured against the item, which most hire purchase plans are, then you don't own the item until it's paid off.

17. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Phone purchase plans don't work that way. They don't want the phone back; it's lost value. Sure, it phone "secures" the loan, but they'd rather take you to court for cash, not the phone. That'll be worth more if you default. So, even though technically phones are "secured" that way, you'll likely not lose your phone if you default on the loan.

18. Brian Y macrumors 68040

But - they own the phone. Whether they want it back or not, they own it until it's paid off.

19. malevolant macrumors 6502

20. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

What about the iPhone 4, I've had it since launched and is unlocked/brought from Apple. Right now the battery is a joke, at 20% it pops up the your battery is low and as soon as I hit the dismiss button. The phone turns black with the spinning outlined circle then it shuts off. Turning itself for a couple more times, it will show the outlet plug image and finally it shows the Apple logo. I'm getting really frustrated with the phone now...doing restoration/resetting as new won't change what's happening. Do you guys think Apple will trade my iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5s or 5c because of faulty battery issue?

21. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

22. Nate. macrumors regular

Nate.

Probably not.

I mean, they're probably not allowed to, people at the Apple Store have no control over what your carrier will or won't let you do, they're just allowed to work with them.

But even if they were allowed to, probably not.

23. hypervish89 macrumors regular

24. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Nope. They still have stock of the iPhone 4, and they can put a new battery in your 4 too.

25. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Nope.

In fact, there were still original iPhone replacement models available up until a few months ago.