iPhone 5s Might Need Replacing... Genius Bar Upgrade to 6?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I'm not expecting this thread to yield any real results... Just curious if the Genius Bar ever let anyone upgrade rather than taking a replacement. I know this happens if they run out of the model you had. My mic sporadically works so I'm not sure if it's a software issue as some had. But maybe they'll let me upgrade to a 6 Plus if I pay a little ;). Doubt it lol.

davefromca

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
Santa Barbara
I'm not expecting this thread to yield any real results... Just curious if the Genius Bar ever let anyone upgrade rather than taking a replacement. I know this happens if they run out of the model you had. My mic sporadically works so I'm not sure if it's a software issue as some had. But maybe they'll let me upgrade to a 6 Plus if I pay a little ;). Doubt it lol.
Nope I cant see them letting you do that lol.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Very, very unlikely. A), they almost certainly have stock of the 5s, and B) They'd probably just order in the model needed or repair it while you wait if they didn't.

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Not even a small chance.

Frankly, unless you paid full price, the phone doesn't even really belong to you until it's paid off. So, they'd be unable to do anything about it.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Not too concerned. Hopefully I can last till Nov and sell the replacement sealed then use my second line for my 6 +.

Just wanted to know if anyone got lucky :). I've heard of at least a few cases in the past but that's usually on AppleCare on a 2+ year-old model they didn't have in stock. Although there are a few stories where Geniuses replace a phone 1-2 years out of warranty

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
a) No.

b) If they don't have stock, they'll order one in.

c) This only ever happens in limited circumstances, where there is a supply limitation on replacement phones.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
No. Even if they didn't have the exact model of 5s you have, they would order you a replacement and make you wait. Now, you are more then welcome to trade in your old iPhone for store credit and use that towards a new iPhone but they won't give you a 6 Plus even for the difference.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
This has happened to me ONE time. Last year I bought a white 5c on launch day and starting having issues two weeks in. I took that one back go a replacement. That one started having issues also. So I took that one to the Genius Bar and got a replacement. Well 6 weeks later that one has issues too... You see the theme here?

Anyways after the third one they ordered me a brand new 5c in. After one month that one had issues as well. At this point I was fed up and emailed Tim Cook. That email received immediate response. Apple executive offices called me and set me up with another new iPhone 5c. These phones were brand new not replacements they came with the wrapping and charger and everything. That one too started having issues. After 6 iPhone 5c's Apple gave me a free upgrade to the iPhone 5s. Only because I had so many issues and was wasting a lot of my time.

So in short. I don't think they will upgrade you at the Genius Bar. If you start having a lot of issues out of the replacements you receive then you need to call Apple instead of going to the Genius Bar...

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
No. Even if they didn't have the exact model of 5s you have, they would order you a replacement and make you wait. Now, you are more then welcome to trade in your old iPhone for store credit and use that towards a new iPhone but they won't give you a 6 Plus even for the difference.
I know, I know.

They couldn't anyway. Everyone's iPhones would stop working right before a new release if they did ;).

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Not how loans work. :rolleyes:
So, you get the title to your car while you're still paying the loan off?

So, you can cancel your iPhone plan without paying the phone off? Cancel without paying the penalty, and they can blacklist your their phone.

Might not be the technical way the law reads, but, it's the way it works in the real world.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
If the loan is secured against the item, which most hire purchase plans are, then you don't own the item until it's paid off.
Phone purchase plans don't work that way. They don't want the phone back; it's lost value. Sure, it phone "secures" the loan, but they'd rather take you to court for cash, not the phone. That'll be worth more if you default. So, even though technically phones are "secured" that way, you'll likely not lose your phone if you default on the loan.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Phone purchase plans don't work that way. They don't want the phone back; it's lost value. Sure, it phone "secures" the loan, but they'd rather take you to court for cash, not the phone. That'll be worth more if you default. So, even though technically phones are "secured" that way, you'll likely not lose your phone if you default on the loan.
But - they own the phone. Whether they want it back or not, they own it until it's paid off.

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
What about the iPhone 4, I've had it since launched and is unlocked/brought from Apple. Right now the battery is a joke, at 20% it pops up the your battery is low and as soon as I hit the dismiss button. The phone turns black with the spinning outlined circle then it shuts off. Turning itself for a couple more times, it will show the outlet plug image and finally it shows the Apple logo. I'm getting really frustrated with the phone now...doing restoration/resetting as new won't change what's happening. Do you guys think Apple will trade my iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5s or 5c because of faulty battery issue?

Nate.

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
Chicago, IL
Probably not.

I mean, they're probably not allowed to, people at the Apple Store have no control over what your carrier will or won't let you do, they're just allowed to work with them.

But even if they were allowed to, probably not.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
What about the iPhone 4, I've had it since launched and is unlocked/brought from Apple. Right now the battery is a joke, at 20% it pops up the your battery is low and as soon as I hit the dismiss button. The phone turns black with the spinning outlined circle then it shuts off. Turning itself for a couple more times, it will show the outlet plug image and finally it shows the Apple logo. I'm getting really frustrated with the phone now...doing restoration/resetting as new won't change what's happening. Do you guys think Apple will trade my iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5s or 5c because of faulty battery issue?
Nope. They still have stock of the iPhone 4, and they can put a new battery in your 4 too.

GeniusJon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Canada
Nope.

In fact, there were still original iPhone replacement models available up until a few months ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.