Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
You should ALL turn off LTE if your on ATT so I could get faster speeds and have more bandwidth.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
50GB cap? My god that's low. You download a blu-ray movie and that's it. :eek:

Thank god i have 1Gbps down and no limit as i download a lot of stuff. Last month i've downloaded almost 1.5TB: mostly bluray movies (over 30GB each) and lots of tvshows and lossless music. :)

And you think piracy is cool???

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Enquiring minds want to know:

Does the NSA Camera, Microphone and data spying on smartphones count against your data plan?

Or does the Gov't pay AT&T and other carriers direct on that?

:cool:

just saying...... uncool any which way.

It would be kind of good if it does use up people's data, because then it won't be long before everyone finds out and the NSA faces major backlash for these spying programs.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I wonder if this is in fact a major factor. I'm getting sick of Apple's chronic lack of RAM. Every time I open an app that's been closed for a few minutes, the whole thing reloads.

Their "multitasking" is a lie! :p

It is extremely annoying for IM apps that get flushed out of RAM in the background and you no longer receive messages.

But I'm on a 4S with 512MB of RAM...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Thank god i have 1Gbps down and no limit as i download a lot of stuff. Last month i've downloaded almost 1.5TB: mostly bluray movies (over 30GB each) and lots of tvshows and lossless music. :)

Where I live we still have 30GB data plans for ADSL2 :eek:

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA

My family plan gets by just fine on 6GB/month, shared by 4 people.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Good thing I'm on a carrier that still offer unlimited data. The data speeds are getting faster while the other telcos are imposing low data caps on usage.

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Presumably because Safari is now incapable of keeping multiple pages open at the same time in different tabs. The number of times I have to reload things while I'm flicking between tabs is utterly ridiculous.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
No mention of Background App Refresh being a factor? I never touched my 2 GB limit until I upgraded to iOS7. Then I suddenly found myself at risk of going over for the first time ever... Flipped Background App Refresh off and I'm back to my normal data usage.

Good point, I think this has quite a bit to do with the increase.

----------

No mention of Background App Refresh being a factor? I never touched my 2 GB limit until I upgraded to iOS7. Then I suddenly found myself at risk of going over for the first time ever... Flipped Background App Refresh off and I'm back to my normal data usage.

No need to turn it off, just turn off cellular updates. I think 99.9% of USA data plan users would turn off cell updates, besides wifi is better and faster.

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
One more reason I'm glad I kept my grandfathered unlimited data plan when I upgraded from the 3G to the 5.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
This my usage (cycle ends on the 3rd). I have found that I am using less data than when I had my Galaxy Note 2. Not sure what that is about based on this article.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 60

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007

That's the way it is with our third-world-grade rates with just two players sharing the market, all others buying from them, and lackluster regulation.

And you think piracy is cool???
Considering how studios rip off honest consumer, imposing artificial limits or shortening films because they think we're too dumb for them, yes I do.

I wonder if this is in fact a major factor. I'm getting sick of Apple's chronic lack of RAM. Every time I open an app that's been closed for a few minutes, the whole thing reloads.
Actually that's how Apple managed to get the most out of quite limited hardware, giving it longer life that would have been possible otherwise.

My family plan gets by just fine on 6GB/month, shared by 4 people.
Wireless or landline?

Please refrain from spreading false information (even as a joke) lest people actually believe that.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/1...h-id-iphone-5s-wont-store-fingerprint-images/
Nothing would surprise me coming from them. After reading from Ars they found a way to make platform-independant spyware that can't be destroyed, hiding wherever it can, in the BIOS, in disk reserved areas, stealthily on USB drives, etc. Or intercepting computer deliveries to install spyware on them before sending it back to its buyer.

So it's safe to assume that no one device is safe.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Surprised by the gap between the 5 and 5S. The 5S isn't all that faster than the 5.

Here's my theory... And take it with a grain of refined sugar.

The iPhone 4 with it's huge styling change brought the female demographic to iPhone. Women wanted it. It means that a lot of women were now on the NON "S" upgrade pattern. I also believe that women don't use as much data as men. That's purely speculative and only based on the women and men I know and how they use their smart phones. But that's how the pattern plays out around me. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of gender ownership.

I'd also guess that the 5c users use less data because they are mostly teenagers and women.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I'm on my iPhone 5 and have been using 10GB of data per month of normal for me. In fact, it's been normal since my iPhone 4.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Easy. When people buy something new it is novel so they play more with it. Also, more interesting systems keep your interest longer and therefore use more data. That explains the increase in data use over time and why iPhone owners use more data than do Android users.

Harkinian

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
Here's my theory... And take it with a grain of refined sugar.

The iPhone 4 with it's huge styling change brought the female demographic to iPhone. Women wanted it. It means that a lot of women were now on the NON "S" upgrade pattern. I also believe that women don't use as much data as men. That's purely speculative and only based on the women and men I know and how they use their smart phones. But that's how the pattern plays out around me. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of gender ownership.

I'd also guess that the 5c users use less data because they are mostly teenagers and women.

Wait wait. Teenagers and women, I think, tend to use the MOST data. Women from not understanding how data usage works, teenagers from not caring. And more women bought the 5S because it comes in gold? Not that men don't also like the gold ones, but I'd think that women like them more. It all lines up perfectly :D

Now, this is where I'm actually serious. 5C users use less data because they're on smaller data plans, the 5C being the cheaper phone.

----------

Considering how studios rip off honest consumer, imposing artificial limits or shortening films because they think we're too dumb for them, yes I do.

What does shortening the length of the film have to do with anything? The only way they rip us off is with HDCP. An honest consumer buys a movie, and it won't play. I pirate when that's the case because pirated stuff doesn't have HDCP. Now, ignoring your greed, I hope you aren't on AT&T in California, because you're slowing down whatever network you're on.

----------

What was using the Background App Refresh that used up that much data? I have it enabled and never go past 1GB unless I'm tethering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.