iPhone 5S possibly waterproof?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Harrycooke, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Harrycooke macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

The technology exists to make the next iPhone waterproof. Anyone else think this may be a possibility for tomorrow?

(Of course this is Apple, and they love to blame faults with iDevices on water, when they have never been in contact with water. I still want my iPod touch repaired Tim!)

2. LithePanther macrumors 6502

While this would be amazing, it won't happen. 0% chance.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Possible, but no reliable rumors have surfaced. At this point, I'm fairly confident we know everything about the 5S.

4. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

It is possible actually since Apple acquired Liquipel which deals in making devices waterproof at very little cost... Would be awesome tho :)

5. Harrycooke thread starter macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

Ahh I had no idea they acquired Liquipel! I think that makes it a high possibility!

6. LithePanther macrumors 6502

I didn't know that either but it definitely won't show on this phase of phones. Maybe the 6

7. Harrycooke thread starter macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

It would be brilliant, not so much for me, but more for my mum! My 5 and 3 year old siblings love to grab her iPhone with messy hands!

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

A question...does the product you mentioned actually make the phone waterproof, or make it water resistance? :confused:

9. Harrycooke thread starter macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

What's the difference? Lol

10. noobinator macrumors 601

Resistant = you can splash water on it and it should be ok

Proof = you can dunk it under water and it should be ok

Big difference

11. Brenz macrumors member

Source? Can't find anything about them acquiring Liquipel and if they had bought them surely they would have stopped them using the tech on other phones?

12. Harrycooke thread starter macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

Ahh thanks. I think resistant would be great to be honest, -proof would be even better!

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't rule it out for a future phone, but I think we have seen enough leaks to know that it won't happen with the 5S. The only way it would be happening is if Apple was somehow able to keep the phone completely secret and all the leaks we have seen are ones that Apple has been intentionally faking to throw everyone off, I'd say that is a less than 1% chance of that being the case.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

15. Enmanuel macrumors regular

Enmanuel

on this huge smartphone market battle the first one of the front runners (iPhone, Galaxy S, etc) to step up on a stage and say "Oh yeah and it's waterproof" will take a huge chunk of the market from everyone else. They're own willingness to make phones that are to some extent fragile to sell more is getting in the way of a huge opportunity to step above the rest.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't know. I really doubt a "huge chunk" would switch cause of that.
    Even if the next Galaxy S came out "waterproof" I still wouldn't buy it.
    There's far more important features than buying a smartphone just cause I can get it wet. There's plenty of cases for that if you really wanted that feature.

17. Lucille Carter, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

No possible way. Just think of Apple liability for replacement. The technology still needs some more work.

You people need to just be careful while going potty!

18. flashflooder macrumors regular

In that case, it's already water resistant.

19. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Actually its fine on the Xperia Z and Z1 so no just Apple wont go in that direction.

20. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

What does the Xperio and 1Z have to do with it?:confused::confused::confused:

21. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Weren't you referring to waster resistant tech no being up to scratch? If not I read wrong. :)

22. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Oops, I thought I saw it... But I dream about this stuff :D

23. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

This will be " wow " feature on iphone 12 :D, 0% chance iphone 5S to have it :rolleyes:

24. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

liquipel makes your phone water proof.. for shallow submersion haha

From the site..

Liquipel Technology

Liquipel is a specialized process that applies a liquid repellent substance to electronic devices. We place the device into our proprietary machine which pumps down to create a vacuum. Once the vacuum process is complete, we inject our Liquipel formulation which turns from a liquid to a gas as it enters the chamber. In the final step, we introduce plasma which decomposes the liquid repellant molecules polymerizing them to themselves. Once the chamber comes back to atmospheric pressure we then remove your device with no cure time and the process is complete. Liquipel becomes the new surface of your device and its components.

Not Your Average Bulky Waterproof Phone Case

Liquipel's Watersafe technology provides protection against 80% of all liquid damage scenarios without the use of a case. Accidental spills, splashes and brief shallow submersion is no longer a threat to your electronic devices. Liquipel's application gives you a sense of security like never before protecting the stored memories, data, and connectivity you value most.