Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mknlb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Is it just me or are the screens on 5S's that start with DN's have better color saturation, better shadow details and less chance of having interlacing issues? My Sept. Build DN's screen had great eye-popping colors, sharpness, but it was defective in that there were yellow spots. My first F2's screen (Sept. Build) was just yellow all around; the colors were way off and didn't look right at all. My 2nd F2's screen (Oct. Build) has the perfect white, but has interlacing issues and the colors don't look as good as the DN that I had. Also, the colors on F2 screens look bleak and they have horrible shadow details compare to DN.

Can anyone else confirm 5S's with serial number that starts with DN have better screen quality? :confused:

Last edited:

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
My serial number starts with C38 and I dont see any yellow
Is it just me or are the screens on 5S's that start with DN's have better color saturation, better shadow details and less chance of having interlacing issues? My DN's screen had great eye-popping colors, sharpness, but it was defective in that there were yellow spots. My first F2's screen was just yellow all around; the colors were way off and didn't look right at all. My 2nd F2's screen has the perfect white, but has interlacing issues and the colors don't look as good as the DN that I had. Also, the colors on F2 screens look bleak and they have horrible shadow details compare to DN.

Can anyone else confirm that 5S's with serial number that starts with DN have better screen quality? :confused:

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Mine is an F1, whats going on? My screen looks like the 4, 4s, 5 etc...

----------

Is it just me or are the screens on 5S's that start with DN's have better color saturation, better shadow details and less chance of having interlacing issues? My DN's screen had great eye-popping colors, sharpness, but it was defective in that there were yellow spots. My first F2's screen was just yellow all around; the colors were way off and didn't look right at all. My 2nd F2's screen has the perfect white, but has interlacing issues and the colors don't look as good as the DN that I had. Also, the colors on F2 screens look bleak and they have horrible shadow details compare to DN.

Can anyone else confirm that 5S's with serial number that starts with DN have better screen quality? :confused:

that's ios7

mknlb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
that's ios7

No, the LCD panels are different. Also loaded up the same photos that I saw on my DN.

It would be great if one of the sites actually compared the 5S screen panels made by 3 different manufacturers.

mknlb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Mine starts with C39 and looks just a vivid as my 5.

I never had a C38/39. Now I'm really curious to get my hands on one of them along with another DN.

I just wish my Apple store would restock their supplies quicker!

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
It's just you.

My F2 = perfection.

But it's a fun rumor to spread to prompt all the obsessives into a mad rush to Apple stores. :D

mknlb50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
It's just you.

My F2 = perfection.

But it's a fun rumor to spread to prompt all the obsessives into a mad rush to Apple stores. :D

Oh I love my F2 as well since I get better wifi signal and faster touch id recognition compare to my old DN. You're lucky that you never saw such a screen panel on your iPhone really. I envy you.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I never had a C38/39. Now I'm really curious to get my hands on one of them along with another DN.

I just wish my Apple store would restock their supplies quicker!

And if someone claims to have a perfect AB, CD, or EF, you'll want those too. Do yourself a favor, let it go.

The panel letter code game has been played at every iOS device launch. As much as we would like to compartmentalize the variations in panels into neat little categories like two letter serial codes, it pretty much never works. Its a lottery.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Oh I love my F2 as well since I get better wifi signal and faster touch id recognition compare to my old DN. You're lucky that you never saw such a screen panel on your iPhone really. I envy you.

man, what did you take? all iPhones wifi and touch-id works at the same speed. You prob taught it better the second time around.

Mine is a C39 so IDK, looks good, touch id good, etc, etc.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
DN here, got last week, space gray 5S. Screen is slightly warmer than my 4S, but nothing to cause concern or make me annoyed, my 4S was pretty cool. Display is beautiful and vivid. No flaws on phone whatsoever, including no out of box scratches. Getting a flawless iPhone feels grand. :D

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Got my DN today. No light bleed no dead pixels looks amazing.

The iPhone lottery seems less dangerous. the iPad lottery on the other hand almost made me want to pull my hair out.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Don't you think there is something Apple could do to make calibrating these displays easier or something? It seems like every display is calibrated differently and I HATE interlacing lines. What's the point of a retina display if you can see those stupid vertical lines?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Don't you think there is something Apple could do to make calibrating these displays easier or something? It seems like every display is calibrated differently and I HATE interlacing lines. What's the point of a retina display if you can see those stupid vertical lines?

picture please?

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
picture please?

something you really can't take a picture of or screenshot, i had my iPhone 5 replaced like two weeks ago and it has the interlacing issues which you get used to, but sometimes its annoying, well usually, the one that was replaced did not have the issue at all

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
My F2 looks beautiful. However when sittin it next to my moms iPhone 5 (they are both white/silver) mine looks more natural and hers looks bluish

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.