iPhone 5S Screen Quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostbit3, Jan 20, 2014.

1. frostbit3 macrumors member

Has anyone had any issues with the screen cracking on their 5S? I've had iPhones since te original and have only ever cracked the back of a 4, not the actual screen. I'm now on my second 5S and will be getting it replaced this week due to a cracked screen.

I have a case on the phone, albeit not a lifeproof/otterbox, but I feel I shouldn't have to. My case covers the back and has a lip to the screen and that's always been sufficient.

My iphone 5 is still in the box for when I upgraded to the 5S and I dropped that phone many times and never cracked it.

My fiancé has also cracked her 5S and the interesting part is that both of them shattered the entire screen. I've seen other people crack the 4S's and 5's and it was always just a corner, but all 3 5S's that I've seen cracked were the entire screen.

Was just curious if anyone else has had any issues.

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Your phones must've been treated a bit on the rough side to crack the screen. Although you didn't say how it happened they (the screens) just don't shatter.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My wife dropped her iPhone 5s out of the car onto pavement several times. Once without a case even. Her screen has a couple of scuffs now, but no cracks.

I go caseless with my 5s and I haven't had any issues either. I also haven't dropped it, so that probably helps.

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Does the "chamfered" edge itself chip or scratch easily? It reminds me of the iPod Touch 4G with it's chrome back. That thing would scratch if you laid it on cotton balls.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Unfortunately it does. My otherwise perfect 5S has a couple nicks there.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Makes no sense for the 5s but not the 5 to be cracking up a storm.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Only my first iPhone 5 cracked in my pocket (with nothing else in it); otherwise I'm dropped my iPhone 5s down six stories into an elevator shaft and the screen hasn't cracked yet.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not here. I'd expect a widespread issue to many more threads on the topic.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you drop your phone on the pavement and it does not crack, consider yourself lucky. It is just a thin piece of glass. I have seen people drop them from 5 feet and it not crack and others have it drop 2 feet and crack.

10. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Its all about how it falls and where/how it lands. There are weaker points along the edge simply because of the way the phone is built. Same with literally any other smartphone.

One person could drop it from 5 feet and not get a scratch, another could like it slip while picking it up, falling a foot, and the screen shatters.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

my 5s is flawless. knock on wood. i take very good care of my iPhones.