iphone 5s screen yellowish

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hypertc13, Sep 20, 2013.

1. hypertc13 macrumors regular

So I just upgraded to a 5s from a 4 today. I gotta say im a little disappointed my 5s screen looks kinda yellow compared to my 4. Are they all that way? just curious.

2. StumpyBloke macrumors regular

StumpyBloke

Yep my 5 and new 5s definitely more "yellow" than my old 4

3. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Ive said the same thing to like 5 other people posting about this.

The yellow/blue screen has been going on for years. My original 4S had a yellow screen, my replacement 4S had a blue screen. It's screen temperature, and it varies depending on where your phone was made, and what manufacturer made your display.

4. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

This is a known problem with the 5 as well. Go get it exchanged.

5. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I think that just like in their laptops, Apple uses more than one manufacturer on their Iphone screens. Most likely you have a Samsung display in your phone since on my former 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro it was slightly yellowish and was a Samsung display.

6. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

This is literally the 10th person that has asked this.

iPhones come with either blue or yellow displays.

It all depends on what manufacturer made your display. Luck of the draw.

You can get a blueish or a yellowish display, theres no telling.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah my 4S is even more yellow than the 4. I do like the look of the 4.

However, give it some time and you probably won't mind the warmer screen.

There might be a cool screen out there, but 9/10 are warmer/yellow.

I'm very picky too, but unless too bad, I can live with it on a phone. It's just the going from the cooler screen direct to the warmer one has surprised you. I think you will be fine if you give it time?

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yellow color is not an actual problem.

9. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Oh boy here we go again...:D

I know mine faded away after use on my 4s way back when, but for some people it didn't.

I would give a few weeks first.

10. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

If the phone's screen has a yellowish hue to it? Yes. Many people have gotten their phones exchanged for that.

11. chdwil macrumors regular

12. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yes, a little yellow will usually go away, now if the screen was yellow mellow then that is another story. Some displays are warmer and some cooler, you can't call that a defect though.

14. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Its not extremely bad, just pretty noticeable coming from my 4 which had a pretty cool screen. Maybe I will post some pics later comparing the two.

15. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

It deviates from the norm of iPhone screens. I'd call it a problem. You can get a replacement.

16. jack2wai2 macrumors member

I own both iphone 5 black (yellow screen) and iPod 5th generation silver (cool screen). To me, yellow screen is easier to read and clearer compared to the cool screen. Just my 2 cents.

I did a survey also. I discover that most of the iphone white has cool screen while Black iphone has yellow screen. I think the reason is to compensate the contrast it creates from the black front. Any thoughts?

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If only people understood about colour temperature. Just because your eyes are used to the cool (blue) white doesn't make it right. The warmer yellow tone is more natural than a harsh blue unless you live in the North pole.
    The ones with the issue are when the screen is not consistent in colour all the way across.
    If you wet to calibrate a computer screen, would you unbox it plug it in and put it alongside your 2 or 3 year old screen you have used everyday and complain it was wrong? Of course not.

18. Jeanloup macrumors regular

Yeah my 5s is suffering from the yellow screen. It's quite bad and obvious in comparaison with my iPhone 5 and all the other iPhones there is in my family. Problem is every single Apple Store here in France are out of 5s so I can't get it replace right now ... I was lucky enough to get one yesterday at launch.

19. flashflooder macrumors regular

Since Apple doesn't let people calibrate temperature on these displays, what good would simply "understanding it" do? I've owned many iOS devices and the temperature of the displays varies wildly. If you're coming from one extreme to the other on consecutive devices, it is quite jarring. Some of the examples I've seen were warm enough to be unacceptable, IMO.

20. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It is because your 4 screen was too blue. My 5S and 5 screen are identical and look fine.

We all pay likely an extra $100+ so some can exchange their phone over and over and over . . . . . :p

21. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

My 5S is a bit warmer than my 5 but looks better.

It also lacks a weird motion/pixelation issue I've seen in a lot of iPhone 5 models where you're able to see a pixelation effect when moving your eyes, or when something is moving on screen. Hard to explain it, but several 5s I've had (replacements) had the issue, as well as store demos. They don't all have it though.

22. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If you use your phone after dark, cool / blue can trick the brain into keeping you awake longer. If you have any kind of sleeping issue, see if the warmer color screen helps. If so, it's worth it's weight in gold - there's even software that will make your mac screen warmer after dark.

Just so long as its not to distracting during the day.

23. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand your frustration, however I have never returned anything in my 10 years of being an apple customer. I have bought 2 laptops, 2 ipads, 2 iphones now, and probably 3 or 4 iPods. I have never had any problems before that warranted a return and am definitely not one of those people that is going to return one 4 or 5 times.

24. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Don't compare it to the 4 the 4 was and still is extremely blue. You're just used to it that's all.

Just use the 5s and don't worry about it.