Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddany

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Hello guys,

I am thinking about replacing my old iphone 4s. It is getting real slow, and the battery doesn't live longer than half a day at almost minimum brightness.

I don't want to pay that much now for a new phone (like 6 / 6s ), and honestly i don't like the design of 6/6s, i love the older design.

My question is that, how long do you think an 5s will be running smooth? 2years or less, more maybe?

Thanks

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
If the rumors are truth about new 4" iPhone, i wouldn't spend money on "new 5s", instead i would buy used 5s with iOS 8.4.1 .

Reactions: freedomisle

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Smooth? People complain the 6/6+ lag. Some even say the 6S/6S+ lag. That's today.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
In the USA. U can get good condition used 5S for around $200-250 pretty easily.

I personally wouldn't pay $450 retail new price for it.

As a side not I just sold a liquid damage iPhone 5S back to one of the retailers that still worked but battery sucked and and screen was stained from inside with oil damage and they gave me a $170 gift card! Not bad for a damaged 5S the retailer didn't look closely at. They just saw the phone powered on and no scratches on the body.

9fiftyfive

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
yeah, smooth.

No , I won't. If I could, i probably would not have asked the question. Plus, 6s looks awful.

I wouldn't get the 5s, just because of the battery life. It runs smooth and (despite the smaller screen) has fairly good graphics. The battery life is absolutely horrible. I had three 5s's and none could last me through the day.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If you think that the 4S is slow, the 5S is going to "slow down" the soonest, especially as newer apps get updated to expect the 2GB RAM in the latest phones.

Reactions: 9fiftyfive

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
ddany, I'm like you in that I prefer the design and feel of the older Iphones. I have a 1 year old 5s with the latest IOS 9.1 software installed and it runs just fine for me. I easily get a day on a battery charge, but then I'm not a real power user either. I hope to get another couple years out of my 5s, but I will probably be a little more cautious about installing newer IOS updates in the future.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Bought my Mother a 5s a month or so ago, first Apple Phone, she absolutely loves it. I also noticed it runs smoother than my 6 Plus on iOS 9.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
iPhone 5s is still currently Apple's best phone to date, you should definitely buy on.

Mine runs perfectly on iOS 9 and probably will for a long time to come, remember this is still a current model and Apple will have to support it for a long time to come. Don't buy a 6 or 6s, they are just big ugly slabs and just don't feel or look like an iPhone should, when you see people using them they almost look embarrassed.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
No. Only because of Battery a Life.

I bought it off my boy last year and after a few months I sold it back. He wanted it. :)

Violafab

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2014
I bought one a month ago. Brand new for not that much money in an opening sale. I love it. Yes the battery isn't quite as good as my 6 plus, but the phone runs smooth with 8.4.1. I'm not gonna upgrade ios any time soon. If you like the size and can get a large discount, do it

9fiftyfive

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
iPhone 5s is still currently Apple's best phone to date, you should definitely buy on.

Mine runs perfectly on iOS 9 and probably will for a long time to come, remember this is still a current model and Apple will have to support it for a long time to come. Don't buy a 6 or 6s, they are just big ugly slabs and just don't feel or look like an iPhone should, when you see people using them they almost look embarrassed.
"Best"? No way.

It's not bad, but it's on it's way out. Carriers are charging nothing for them.

"6 or 6s, they are just big ugly slabs and just don't feel or look like an iPhone should, when you see people using them they almost look embarrassed."

Who looks embarrassed using a nice phone like the 6? I sure don't.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
5s is a worthy phone. Both my sons have them and swear by them. They both are running the latest IOS without any issues. My one son is glued to his phone and gets a solid days use out of his phone without recharging it. My younger son uses his phone a lot less and goes for 2 days before having to recharge.

Both my boys requested the 5s last years because they like the smaller size of the phone. The 5s will be a good phone for sometime to come. My wife still uses a 5, current IOS and no issues.

Will you get 2 years out of it? Well it will depend on what you use it for. If you are constantly downloading games and apps, I would say that is a maybe. If just every day use, then I believe you could get at least 2 years out of it easily. My sons have got a solid year out of them and are expecting to get at least another 2 years from them.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Hello guys,

I am thinking about replacing my old iphone 4s. It is getting real slow, and the battery doesn't live longer than half a day at almost minimum brightness.

I don't want to pay that much now for a new phone (like 6 / 6s ), and honestly i don't like the design of 6/6s, i love the older design.

My question is that, how long do you think an 5s will be running smooth? 2years or less, more maybe?

Thanks

I would pass on the 5s. It will maybe get two more iOS full version updates before it is retired. if you got the money, get a newer product as it is more future proof.

ddany

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2010
Will you get 2 years out of it? Well it will depend on what you use it for. If you are constantly downloading games and apps, I would say that is a maybe. If just every day use, then I believe you could get at least 2 years out of it easily. My sons have got a solid year out of them and are expecting to get at least another 2 years from them.
No I won't run any games on it.
I need safari,mail,facebook,messenger,spotify, and some other basic apps to run smooth.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I use my old 5s as my backup. Sure, it has a smaller screen than my 6s Plus, but it's a great phone nonetheless.

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
I'm running an iPhone 5 with iOS 7 until (if things go to plan) my Christmas 6S Plus becomes my main phone, and it's great. Worst thing I've run into is trying to download apps I've never tried before and them needing 8+, but that's my fault for not upgrading (Never!) the OS. A 5S should work in a pinch I'd say.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
I just upgraded to a 6S from an iPhone 5, and the 5 on iOS 9 was still working great (bought it on launch day), so I'm sure a new 5S will serve you for years to come. Great, light one-handed device.

Reactions: ddany

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
If you think that the 4S is slow, the 5S is going to "slow down" the soonest, especially as newer apps get updated to expect the 2GB RAM in the latest phones.

With the 5s though, things will be different I think than prior iPhones. It should slow down "on par" with the iPhone 6, given the very marginal updates typhoon possess over cyclone

I fully expect the 5s to be supported just as long as the 6 with software updates, and it should have more longevity performance wise than the 4s did

The limiting factor would be the RAM amount, especially if Apple significantly upgrades the ram in the next few iPhone generations and optimizes iOS for the increased ram amount.

Jessica08

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2015
Roll Tide
Coming from a 5S to the 6S, the 6S is light years ahead of the 5S IMO. The battery life, the fast responsiveness, the 3D Touch, etc. There were plenty of times I had to worry about my battery running out. No worries about that on my new one.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
6s is too porky for me. Way too heavy and as thick as a 6 plus? No desire at all. If Apple released a 6 thin 4" device id put the 5s away wet. Otherwise it remains my main squeeze.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Love my 5S, but would prefer a larger screen. The design is fantastic and I prefer it over the 6's. It is running fast on iOS 9. You should be fine if deciding to get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.