iPhone 5S trade for HTC One M8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cagcody, Mar 27, 2014.

1. cagcody macrumors regular

Just wanted to get some advice here. I posted my iPhone on CL to trade for an M8. I got a response from someone who says they work at Verizon and had upgrades available on their business account. He said he would get it and then we could do a trade. He wants to meet at Target and swap there and says I could just call over the phone to activate because he isn't going to activate it. If I did this, could anything go wrong? Like, could he blacklist the IMEI or anything like that? I really want the M8 but I'm skeptical about it all.

2. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Why not meet at the verizon store? That way it can be activated right then and there.

If he works at a verizon store, why would he want to meet somewhere else?

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Trust your instincts on this.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I agree with BlueGoldAce to meet at a Verizon store to make the swap. If the guy doesn't want to do it at the store he works at, go to a different Verizon location. And then ask the employee to make some sort of note on both accounts of what happened so that in the future he cannot claim the iPhone is stolen and blacklist it.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Sounds like the "Verizon employee" is doing a no-no.

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Definitely doing a no-no. He's basically "Selling" his upgrade. He gets it for a minuscule $X amount of dollars, trades it for a device with a higher monetary value. So he's making out like a bandit. Especially since his upgrades are employee discount eligible....

7. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure the M8 isn't out until the 11th, so...

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

That's T-Mobile. For Sprint, Verizon, AT&T you can get it now (as of yesterday).

9. patt2k macrumors regular

lol what? it just shows you have no idea about phones besides iPhone =D

S5 is date : APRIL 11
    M8 HTC ONE : March 25

10. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Then techradar's page is wrong cause it says it hits stores 4/11. I guess they mixed the phones up

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's available in stores for Verizon but the other carriers will have to wait until the 11th I believe.

12. patt2k macrumors regular

You can also note that you can buy M8 from VZW outright use it on AT&T/TMO or w.e get LTE and so on..

13. 617aircav Suspended

Why doesn't he just upgrade to the iphone 5s to begin with instead of trading for a used one?

14. cagcody thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly! That's why I'm wondering if this is even legit or not.

15. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Doesn't sound very legit at all. Just move onto the next option lol

16. cagcody thread starter macrumors regular

I think the next option is to just sell my iPhone on eBay and pay the difference and just get it off contract. At least I know I'm covered if I go that way.

17. mjschabow macrumors 65816

I'd be wary of getting an HTC phone. Although I am a big fan of droids, I am not a fan of HTC. Hardware seems to fail quite often and they usually stop the updates after 2 years. Personally, I'd wait to see what the iPhone 6 brings.

18. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

This is not correct. VZW uses CDMA, AT&T uses GSM. Also, their LTE frequencies differ. The phone can be made to work on it, but you need an unlocked unit, which you won't get from VZW.

----------

I've used HTC phones for over a decade, and love them. I've had no issues other than when I drove over one. :eek::D

19. patt2k macrumors regular

How much you want to bet that you can pop in any sim card in the world and any verizon LTE phone will work?
    get your info straight first.

All LTE Verizon phones come factory unlocked due to their 700mhz licensing.
    iPhone 5S works with AT&T LTE and T-Mobile ( I didn't check LTE specs for HTC M8) but it would benefit HTC to have all bands to support LTE from AT&T & T-MO.

The only difference is Verizon won't take any other phone that is not certified for VZW so you can't take AT&T 5S to Verizon for example , from Verizon you can use your iPhone anywhere but sprint.

20. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

This.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I may be able to shed some light on why the OP doesn't want to just upgrade to a 5S...

If it's a concessions line, he is likely able to pick ANY phone BUT an iPhone. My wife was in the same boat with her VZW concessions line. We finally got rid of that line because she wasn't able to upgrade to the phones that she wanted AND the price hike made it such that it didn't make much sense to keep a concessions line and save nothing (price hike plus AT&T's new shared package for families).

So, not saying the seller is 100% legit, but it is a plausible situation.

22. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

For OP: I picked up a HTC one (M8) and used it for a day and returned it. It is a very, very nice phone but it is HEAVY (160 grams vs 112 for Iphone 5). If you can tolerate the difference in weight and Android, go for it.

23. cagcody thread starter macrumors regular

Went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. It's out for delivery right now. I financed it through my Amazon account, so if I don't like it I can just send it back within 30 days, I believe. I really wish Verizon would have allowed the Nexus 5 onto their service. I would have had it a long time ago.

24. patt2k macrumors regular

You paid more from Amazon I think it is 649.99$ on amazon + tax versus 599.99$ +tax from Verizon site.

25. cagcody thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, but Amazon had 12 month financing, so I didn't have to pay for the full price up front, but can just pay monthly.