iPhone 5s vs my nexus 5

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by rillrill, Dec 22, 2013.

1. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

So I picked up an iPhone 5s to see.whether it'd be better than my nexus 5, and its going back. I tested the camera in low light. I thought based on all the reviews that the iPhone would kill the nexus. The nexus was sharper in every shot. The iPhone is quicker at taking pictures, but it wasn't any better than my nexus.

Next is the touch Id. I thought it'd be convenient, but I end up having to redo it lot more than I expected. Though I don't even lock my nexus so some security is better than none I suppose.

Lastly, the size. I cannot type for **** on the iPhone. And the speech to text, sweet Jesus ... Googles got em beat with swipe and their voice recognition. Siri is a joke.

The build quality is nicer of course. I really like the aluminum and the white is so clean looking. The iPhone is consistent in the camera section. But the photos are not better.

2. OhHaiThere macrumors regular

OhHaiThere

The iPhone has to be quicker, it doesn't have Optical Image Stabilization (OIS).

3. rillrill thread starter macrumors 6502

rillrill

Seeing the iPhone in action definitely made me appreciate the nexus 5. Even without the price difference, its the better phone for me.

4. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/features/

Auto Image Stabilization is there under camera features. Actually stitches together multiple shots to remove any blurring effects.....if anything, should be slower to do it that way.

I've gotten mixed results from my Nexus 5 camera. Sometimes it is definitely on par with my 5S, other times its horrific. My 5S on the other hand, is extremely consistent and MUCH better in low-light.

My biggest gripe with the Nexus 5 is awfully inconsistent battery life. Sometimes its fine, other times its terrible. I'd rather know I'm getting poor battery life than this inconsistent stuff....

All-in-all, both devices are nice. Though if Apple gives me a larger iPhone next year, I'll likely just go with that and do away with Android - at least as a daily driver.

5. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Are you using ART? Everybody is raving that battery life somehow improved by switching to ART.

6. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

so you pretty much rented a phone just to justify the purchase of another....MMMKKKK.

7. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I am and I notice improvement sometimes.

But it seems like every other day there's an app that goes rogue and drains my battery. Yesterday it was Angry Birds Go - for some reason.....I turn off all those notifications. And even with notifications on, not sure why the app would continue to run without me playing it.

Most of the time my Google Play Services are the battery killer. Switched my bluetooth off and turned location accuracy to battery saving mode. We'll see if that helps.

Still doesn't come close to my iPhone's battery life though. Even on a good day.

8. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I haven't switched to ART yet, and have consistently good battery life from my Nexus 5 on the DroidKang ROM. When it comes to Android, the motto YMMV is very literal! You and I could have the same phone, running the same apps and still get different battery results. I think Google is trying to fix this issue with ART, but it is still early days.

But having gotten back into the iOS swing of things on my iPad it is crazy how good the battery is on the Mini running 7.0.4! Standby is incredible. I'll go 2 days without touching it (was learning Windows Phone last week) and battery had only dropped 5%. Its like Apple added unicorn fairy dust in the battery or something! :0

9. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

iPads have always been phenomenal when it comes to standby battery life. I've gone a week on standby with roughly 10 hours of use on a single charge.

I can usually make it through a day with my N5.....just not used to looking down at 3 pm and seeing 30% battery life left....

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yeah, it was a bit of a surprise. Its been a couple of years since I have used an iPad. Def not complaining! And now with ios7 jailbroken, I'm gonna be spending a lot more time on my Mini!

11. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I find it extremely hard to believe the nexus 5 camera beats the iPhone's. The nexus cameras have always been horrific and the nexus 5 is no exception. The iPhone 5s camera is the best on the market aside from the limia 1020. Also, the keyboard on the iPhone is far superior than stock androids. The autocorrect is impeccable. It took me about 2 days getting used to the smaller size of the iPhone keyboard coming from my galaxy s3 and I can tell you the keyboard is FAR superior, I was even running the stock android 4.4 kitkat keyboard.

12. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Only thing I find better about the KitKat keyboard is the swype typing. Its a neat touch - I don't always use it, but its pretty quick once you get used to it.

I do agree about the iPhone keyboard being good though. I've never understood why people hate it so much. Then again, I tend to type in full sentences with punctuation and I almost always proofread my texts so nothing "unintended" is sent.

13. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

One thing that android really has to work on is power management. On my galaxy s3, the battery would drain 3-4% per hour without even touching the phone. The 5s is liken one percent every 2-3 hours if you don't touch it. Also, I tried running ART on 4.4 cm11 on my gs3 and I saw worse battery life. Google services just ate through my battery. But then again that's just a custom rom so maybe the nexus 5 official is different.

14. cynics macrumors G4

I agree on the speech to text thing. I've never been able to get Siri to work anywhere near as well as Google.

Especially names, which sucks because when I try to say a street name while driving it doesn't work.

I'll also use it when I can't spell a word. Half of the time it gets that wrong too.

15. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

The update the Nexus 5 received did help with the camera. I posted some before and after comparisons. Google is supposedly planning to update the camera further, with things like Raw data, and frankly I already consider it a pretty good camera. So do a majority of the tech industry.

The keyboard though. I just can not agree with you on this. The Apple keyboard is about the worst on the market and not because of inaccurate spell corrections, but because it can't be altered and because it still thinks it is 2008. Seriously, I have to go through 2 menu's just to get to the # sign? And then 2 menu's to get back to typing. Are you f@#king kidding me? How about starting with something simple Apple, like long press a letter for caps, or add numbers to the top row, or even swype? This isn't difficult. Look below and see the Nexus keyboard vs Apple iPad keyboard. If you really prefer hitting multiple menu's just to type a simple sentence, then you love Apple way too much. Typing is much faster and easier on the Nexus. And autocorrect on Apple is still really bad.

Attached Files:

16. Vegastouch, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Sometimes that happens to me with greader after I've used it and when it does, I just go in apps and forcestop it. Doesn't happen very often but it does happen.

I hated the iPhones keyboard. The Kitkat keyboard is very good and there are several others that are very good. Just the fact that you can choose others that are very good puts the iPhones one choice to shame.

And as of right now, my phone has 43% left running ART with 16 hours, 55 minutes of runtime with 3 hours of SOT. That should take me well into night time.

17. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I have a hard time believing that the Nexus 5 camera is actually better than the iPhone 5s. Everything indicates that it's a good camera, but that the iPhone camera still comes out ahead. But there doesn't seem to be a big difference.

18. Shuri macrumors 6502

Autocorrect works like a charm for me on my iPhone. I can type blindly and hitting totally wrong letters and it will recognize the words correctly most of the time.
    Personally I like it more to tap on two keys to get to the '#' and then click ONE ( ;) ) key to get back to typing than holding and waiting for it to make the '#'. I don't even know if one of these options is faster (I guess there's no big difference if you got used to it), but the click and hold is more disruptive than double tap fast on the same place.

19. JH- macrumors 6502

I just did the same thing but ended up with the opposite phone. I loved everything about the Nexus but the battery life. I do a lot of my phone use out and about so I'm not connected to wifi. This really kills the Nexus battery while the iPhone shines under this usage. At the end of the day the simple ability to use my phone is more important than all the extra features I might use sometimes.

20. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I see where you're coming from here. I had an android before my iPhone 4 and thought the android was good because of what you can do with it but I wanted the smoother experience and better apps from the iPhone. I liked the i

21. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I see where you're coming from here. I had an android before my iPhone 4 and thought the android was good because of what you can do with it but I wanted the smoother experience and better apps from the iPhone. I liked the iPhone 4 however, I wanted the flexibility of android again. So I bought a galaxy s3, I really liked it at first but after a year or so I started to not like it so much. I had been rooted for most of the time since touch wiz is really bloaty and slow compared to vanilla android. I was running stock kitkat for a few weeks and I decided to pick up a 5s to see if iOS was suitable for me to use again. Well, after a month or so of using iOS 7, I couldn't be happier. People say androids fluidity it up to pace with iOS and I severely disagree. The iPhone is much more fluid and it pleases the eye much better IMO. As for the keyboard, I think androids auto correct is really good. It'll. prefect the past 2 words of it thinks they need to be whereas androids keyboard will only focus on the word that you are currently typing. As for your issue on the #, yes you do have to hit 2 buttons to get to it but only one to get back to the keyboard. Also, I'm. It sure where you're using hashtags but I only use them in twitter and Instagram and in both of those apps the # is on the main part of the keyboard and I know androids keyboard does not do that.

22. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

23. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I have had a SGS3, SGS4 and Nexus 4 and TBH I thought that my iPhone 4S camera bested all of them. I have not had a Nexus 5 yet so will reserve judgement. Keyboards however are a different matter, for me, Android is far better, be it stock or apps such as swift key or Kii it's no contest in favour of my Android handsets.

24. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Those photos clearly aren't horrible. From what I've been reading though (not a personal owner of the N5 myself), the biggest issue is with autofocus lag, and thus affecting photos with motion more significantly--something you obviously wouldn't have had a problem with considering these are static shots (or nearly so, save for a kitty's tongue ;)).

Again, don't have any personal experience so I'll defer to Nexus 5 owners who can provide first-hand experience and will surely correct me if I wrong.

BTW, that Kimchi pot has my mouth watering--looks tasty. :D