Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
I had my s6 edge for a few months. I didn't notice any difference from when I first got it to a few months in
What happens after a few months?:rolleyes:
Pls tell me what's wrong with my S6 i got on launch day!

Last night, my friend told me to take a picture of him and his gf on his s6 edge. I took to the picture just fine, the camera launched quick from the lock screen, then I go to view the picture to show them and the thing just started glitching out like crazy. It went back to the lock screen, the clock disappeared, it froze there for a second, then relaunched the camera by itself, then went into the gallery. I have no idea how people think that's acceptable. I've used his phone for fun on other occasions and the thing is not buttery smooth like people say. If I were coming from another android, I would think it's smooth, but coming from a 6s, it's very jittery. It really depends on what you're used to.

Reactions: kayleee

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
What are you saying?

That a S6 is not a good phone after a few months of using it? You're being ridiculous.
Go look around on here. I've seen so many posts of people hating their galaxy phones after a year of using it because it gets so dang slow. I used an S3 for a year and ditched it. Android phones slow down over time, it's just a fact, ask any objective reviewer who has used one for a year. It's like cracks in concrete, it's guaranteed.

Jfree3000

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2015
Metro Atlanta
I was in a similar situation as you regarding android vs ios. I have had an android phone since the Evo on Sprint and never owned and iphone. The question you need to ask yourself is do you like to tinker with your phone such as rooting (android) or do you need something that works out the box? My last phone was a Nexus 6, first nexus device and loved it but got bored with android after so many years so I took the plunge to the 6s+.

The main problem you will run into with a Samsung phone is Touchwiz, some like it and some hate it. Apple has the smoothest interface I have ever used (Nexus 6 was a close second). As other mentioned you will have an issue with updates with android phones, while the newer phones do get the updates first it still takes a while due to the specific phone manufacturer (samsung) and your cell phone carrier. Granted when these do release they are still flawed releases and bugs are to be had (I assume ios has the same issues). While the s6 is newer it will be forgotten when the next flagship launches as many android devices are. Both OS have their pro's but I swore off samsung after my note 3 with knox because I root and with the newest samsung phones any form of root breaks Samsung pay forever.

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Go look around on here. I've seen so many posts of people hating their galaxy phones after a year of using it because it gets so dang slow. I used an S3 for a year and ditched it. Android phones slow down over time, it's just a fact, ask any objective reviewer who has used one for a year. It's like cracks in concrete, it's guaranteed.

Well I've never owned an android phone so I can't speak from personal experience, but I would say that if those people did experience a slowdown after a year it's probably because they installed a lot of crap on their phones.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Well I've never owned an android phone so I can't speak from personal experience, but I would say that if those people did experience a slowdown after a year it's probably because they installed a lot of crap on their phones.
Possibly. Though when I use my gs3 to take datalogs of my car, the thing is unbelievably slow, and I literally have 1 app installed AND all the carrier bloat crap deleted.

But why should installing a lot of apps slow down the phone? After 2 years, my 5s didn't see slow downs with 20gb of apps installed.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Even a factory settings wipe only cures things for a day or two.

kayleee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Seriously... Get the 5s. Put away $10/month in your sock drawer. At the end of a year, sell the 5s, take the $120 you saved without missing it, and upgrade to a 6 or 6s.

I bought the flagship Samsung last year shortly after it was released. Was so happy to ditch it after a year that I had switched to an iPhone 4 (not 4s) with a battery that lasted for half a day for the last 2 weeks while I tried to sell the S5. Took a bath on the S5, because, well, it's Android. Even with $150 worth of accessories (wireless charging back, pucks, 64GB microSD card) still ended up selling it for $200 less than an iPhone 6, which was released at the same time for about the same price.

What do you need the phone for most? That might help determine the best fit. What are you using now?

C
I use it for taking pics, use LOTS of apps, whatsapp and other such stuff, not heavy user but VERY frequent user....

as for battery issues with phone, I have a SONY 10,000 external power bank I carry with me at all times :)

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I use it for taking pics, use LOTS of apps, whatsapp and other such stuff, not heavy user but VERY frequent user....

as for battery issues with phone, I have a SONY 10,000 external power bank I carry with me at all times :)

LOTS of apps like what?

For taking pics, I suspect you'll be happier with the newer phone's camera, in particular...

C

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I am okay with both OS, which one should I go for?

I know you'd say it personal preference, but I said I am okay with both.
You still have to decide based on your priorities and preferences. You cannot simply poll on matters like this.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
You still have to decide based on your priorities and preferences. You cannot simply poll on matters like this.

Yet another reply where you tell the poster that they have to decide on their own.

The poster is asking for our opinions, get it?! Of course in the end, he/she will decide on something.

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
Come on people the s6 is much better than the 5s that is a fact. I owned the s6 for 6 months and it's a fantastic phone best android phone on the market today. Camera is awesome fast charge is just brilliant the latest update solves old battery issues. I only went to the 6s because I wanted a change having had galaxy's for the last 4 years. I do miss a lot of android features but I'm learning to live without them for now ha

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
You can't ask questions like that here, I did once and got a warning from the moderators for trolling by giving some positive points for android over Apple.

Be careful.

The forums so sensitive.

You can't have an opinion on anything. If it's not a normal opinion you're a troll.

Reactions: kayleee and duction

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have both, company provided S6 and my personal 5S. I feel the S6 is overall a better phone, in performance and function. However as you can see from my sig an iPhone works better for me, so I bought myself a 6S and use the companies SIM card in my personal phone (sim free).

If I wasn't tied to Apples ecosystem (willingly) and given those choices (5S or S6) I would take the S6 all day.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
The forums so sensitive.

You can't have an opinion on anything. If it's not a normal opinion you're a troll.
You're also a troll if you're not piling on a guy like everyone else is. Jump to his defence and you get a warning from the mods.

Anyway I've owned a S6 since release day (April 10) and still have it and it is an absolute beast. No slow downs whatsoever. Samsung went aggressive on memory management to the point where the phone never slows down but on the downside it doesn't hold much in ram either.

I use minimum 4 hours of SoT on the phone a day every day until last week and never encountered burn-in issues. Charging is insanely fast. Battery life is decent. I get between 4-5 hours of SoT a day at home and 3-4 hours if I'm out and about and on the go the whole day.
Camera is fantastic. Build quality is amazing. The screen makes an iPhone 6s screen look so 2013! Size is perfect too!

crammedberry

macrumors regular
Let me give you a little insight as I've used 3 different phones over the past few months, two of them were the Galaxy S6 and the iPhone 5s.

First, the iPhone 5s is old, and it is showing its age. I know many here will swear by its longevity and it really is an iconic design, however it is severely limited by its 1gb of ram in 2015 and apps would constantly reload while I used it. This isn't a problem that is present in the iPhone 6s, my current phone, and while present somewhat on the Galaxy S6, it isn't as bad.

Second, the screen of the 5s is TINY, but this is probably more of a personal preference and if you like small screens it probably isn't an issue. Personally I found the Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6S displays (both around the same size) to be perfect.

Third, and this is what made it a deal breaker for me, was the ABYSMAL battery life of the iPhone 5s. I could burn through the battery in 3 hours or less of screen on time if I'm just pushing it. This is essentially what made me switch. The Galaxy S6 has a much bigger battery, and battery life is probably on par with the iPhone 6s from my experience, which is a huge improvement over the 5s.

If I had to pick between the two I would choose the Galaxy S6, as having used both I felt it was the better phone overall, and this isn't even counting all the additional perks like quick charging, wireless charging, and all the extra goodies which you may or may not use. Regardless which one you pick, they are likely to be supported for the same amount of time (around 2 years) as apple usually provides support after they discontinue a product, and it is still being sold. Samsung as with all other android manufacturers gives you about 2 years of support as well and you shouldn't expect more.

If you are going to be using this phone for a long time, you'll probably be better off with the S6 and the top of the line specs (android-wise) over a two year old iPhone. Hope this helps.

Reactions: C.O.T and kayleee

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Relying on my personal experience, I would go with the iPhone 5S anytime. Samsung is a not an option and it will never be for me.
This decision of yours should be based on your preferences (size, functions etc.) and on your pattern of use.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'd still go with the 5S despite it being almost 2 years older. It will be supported for a longer the the S6 and generally all round will perform better for longer. As someone who only had apple products the S6 wouldn't really fit in with my ecosystem. Do you have a preference for either ecosystem? if you do I would just go with which ever one fits into your preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.