iPhone 5s was stolen, can I get it back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fendi10023, Dec 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fendi10023 macrumors newbie

About an hour or two ago IN SCHOOL, about 4-5 kids who didn't go to my school were in the building. My friend was using my phone and one of the kids grabbed the phone and they all ran out of the building. The point is, my phone i gone and I don't know where it is. I haven't used any find my iphone apps, I JUST learned about icloud today, and I have no idea how (if) I can get my phone back.

I use Sprint as my carrier and I had no applecare insurance.
    Those of you who were once in my shoes, did you get your phone back, if so, how?

2. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

If you never linked it to you Apple ID you can forget about getting it back. I think you should call Sprint and have them block it (blocklist IMEI) on their network) ASAP so scumbags cant sell it to anybody else. Mind you they can still profit on your misfortune in any number of ways.

3. kolax macrumors G3

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why do people skip the iCloud setup part of a fresh iPhone? Anyway it's gone, see if your credit card or home insurance will cover a replacement.

PS AppleCare don't cover lost or stolen.

5. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

Have your parents buy you a new one. Sounds like they can afford it :rolleyes:

6. Arcade macrumors regular

Arcade

Talk to the principal to see if any security camera caught pictures or video so it can be given to the police.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

At least report the IMEI number to your mobile provider, also check iCloud.com just to see if you did have find my iPhone enabled.

8. 617aircav Suspended

he said he did not enable it.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Initial setup of iOS 7 pretty much walks you through it, you can't buy apps without one. Worth logging into iCloud.com to see if it was enabled, it's the default if I recall.

10. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5s was stolen, can I get it back?

Be more responsible, why let your friend play games on it? I'm 31 and I don't let other people use my phone. Plus if your at school, walking around with a 5s is asking for trouble, sorry but it just is, and which is why I've always said a 4s is more than adequate for a school-goer.

Did you have the touch ID enabled? If not, why not? Why have the 5s if your not going to use it's only real noticeable current improvement over a 5 which again, second hand would be more suited to a child.

We're there any teachers as witnesses? CCTV? Why are other kids wandering into your school without anyone batting an eyelid? In today's day and age school security is supposed to be top notch, maybe get a parent to question the principal / head master / man behind desk.

11. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Sorry for your loss, my daughter had a camera stole at school so i kind of know how you feel.

I doubt you have any chance to get it back, best you can do is learn from this and take steps to protect the next phone you get.

12. Kaspersky Suspended

Kaspersky

13. Fendi10023 thread starter macrumors newbie

My friend is someone I trust. He's not at fault for this in my opinion. If you let someone you trust such as a spouse use your phone for a simple task because they don't have their phone and someone runs by, snatches it and run, are you being irresponsible?

Yes, touch ID is enabled. Whether a 4s, 3gs, or a 5s was the phone, anything that could turn a profit to a thief would've gotten taken.

It was between classes, 1st floor full of students, plus it was kind near a stairway at one end of a hallway, doubt a teacher saw.

Funny, this year they're going full force to stop us from going outside the school for lunch, but intruders get inside and walk around like it's nothing.

14. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

What about claiming from house insurance or from the card it was paid with...?

15. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

That's just rude. The kid probably feels terrible right now. How would you feel if you got your new iPhone stolen. That's just ignorant, not everyone can just go out to buy a new $600 iPhone...

Sorry dude, I feel really bad for you, is there any chance that your parents (or you unknowingly) set up I cloud. When you turn on the iPhone for the first time it always asks if you want find my iPhone turned on. Most likely you pressed yes or your parents did. Go to iCloud.com or download findmyiPhone on another apple device and see if it works when you sign in using your Apple ID that was associated with that iPhone.

Also, file a police report with a description of the thief(s)-if you didn't see them, maybe your friend did. T report it to sprint so they can list it as stolen and maybe if you have a copy of the serial # u can tell police. If u don't know it then sprint will most likely have a copy of the serial.
    It is unfortunate that we live in a world where people do this kind if thing.

Best of luck.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You didn't mention your age or whether your parents bought it with a credit card, but if they did check if it has coverage for theft (usually 90 days), in which case they can file a claim.

17. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Wow, really? That's just plain rude. Maybe his parents had an upgrade available and he paid for the subsidized phone with his own money? For some reason, some people get annoyed at the thought of someone younger than them owning something that they themselves can't afford. Get over it.

18. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Even if he did have iCloud & Find my friends set up, are you guys really suggesting that he take matters into his own hands and locate his phone? it's pretty much gone at this point, I suggest you just report it stolen and wish for the best. Report the IMEI number and if it was purchased thru your carrier with a protection plan, pay the deductible and get a new one.

19. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I do feel bad for the OP. This sucks, and it's probably tying a not in his/her stomach. Having a nice new toy taken from you is a terrible feeling.

BUT, you're darn right I get annoyed after working my butt off I get to drive my sh**heap home while the 16 year-old sitting next to me at a light is driving a new Benz. They will never know work ethic.

20. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

We never said take matters into his own hands. If he can locate it with iCloud the police will actually use his iCloud account and retrieve it for him. It is actually very common for the police to use an iCloud account to locate and retrieve a stolen iDevice. I know lots of people who had theirs stolen and had the police locate it with iCloud

21. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

So parents can't teach their kids hard work ethic while providing them with nice things at the same time since they can afford it? The problem isn't the kid in the new Benz, it's your perception of him and, as much as you hate to admit it, jealousy.

My parents gave me a nice car when I turned 17, it was their way of saying "this is what you get when you work, you need to be able to get this for yourself very soon" and for that reason I'm now 25 and work my butt off to maintain the type of lifestyle my parents taught me, and won't drive anything but a BMW.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Agree 100% and same here.

23. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

And on top of that, what he said is statistically incorrect as well. Kids from well off families are more likely to be well off. On the contrary, kids from low income ramies have a harder time doing well, and many of them grow up in neighborhoods that don't encourage work ethic.

24. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I don't hate to admit that its jealousy at all. It's 100% jealousy. I do quite well for myself now, but it's a difference in ways we grew up. I grew up very poor, and my dad is now a superintendent make a very comfortable salary. I am a principal now in a different state, again, making a very comfortable salary. But I come from a rural area where being poor meant you HAD to work hard. I think you statement is true in more urban areas. Kids from low income families DO have a hard time doing well.... in the city, but it's not true at all in areas like Montana and Wyoming. Your other statement is also true, kids from well of families ARE more likely to be more well off themselves. They have a better support system, and trust funds. However, after working in the public school system for many years, you are in the minority. If you work your butt off to have the lifestyle you want and are able to maintain that, hats off to your parents for raising you well. It's a rare thing.

That being said, even though I could afford a new Mercedes for my daughter on her 16th birthday, I would never buy it for her. She's going to get a mid-90's corolla. Is it because I'm mean? Nope. It's because I want to instill a sense of work ethic, and HELP her work toward her goals... not just give her what she wants. That's just how I parent my children though, and that's my choice. Your parents chose to give you an expensive car, and that's great. But I will tell you... from experience, your sense of work ethic is rare in the cases when children are simply given everything they want.

Whew! A bit off topic, but oh well.

25. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

I guess it can work either way. People have different ways of raising their kids and a lot of it has to do with playing it by ear. What works for one kid might not work with another. So I can definitely see it both ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.