Iphone 5se to have amazing battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Feb 25, 2016.

1. metsjetsfan, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

If rumors hold true 1624mah battery up from the 1560mah on the 5S this could have battery life somehwat equal to the 6+? Add to that ios9 efficiencies I think it could have solid usage.

It will be interesting if they dont make a battery case for this and 6+/S but only have one for the 6/6S

Edit: ok maybe mot close to the 6+ battery life but definitely somewhere bw the 6S and 6+

2. Skika macrumors 68030

How did you came to this conclusion? Is the battery life on 6+ only 10% better than on the 5S?

3. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Only asking not stating

A7 on 5S was first year of the 64bit and they roughly kept equal battery life from A8 to A9 while shrinking the battery. So going from A7 to A9 I would think would help plus the 4% increase in milliamp hrs

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think it would be a really big boost in battery life. It would be a larger battery driving the same 4" screen in the 5S. That coupled with the processor will make quite an impact.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The phone is going to be in the form factor of the 5s, I can't see how it will have "amazing" battery life. Perhaps if they use a slower processor but that would be asinine if they did that. I think the battery will be similar to the 5s, maybe less if they include the force touch motor.

6. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

I dont think its out of the question if they use a slightly underclocked A9. Whether that is good or bad is probably debatable

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think the latest rumors is that it will not have 3D touch.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's my expectation, since they need to differentiate between this rumored phone and their flagship 6s.

9. catean macrumors regular

Shouldn't the new motor be less power hungry? The old one was based on rotational movements which needs continuous electricity while the new motor is base on impulses.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe but the issue is not just the power consumption of the motor but the fact the battery has to be smaller to make room for the force touch motor.

11. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Moreover, they want to shift the majority of crowd to 4.7" and 5.5" hence it is highly unlikely that they'll introduce a 4.0" device whose features are at par with their flagship. A refreshed 4.0" device is to target those people that are yet to/reluctant to move to 4.7".

12. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Why do it this time of the year though. That's what I don't really get. This isn't going to drive sales meaningfully. They couldn't just wait until September?

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

B.c that is the time of the year where they want to focus on their flagship. They are probably going to spend a fair amount of time talking about why they are release a 4" phone. How it is a classic design that many people love and still prefer.

14. MrAverigeUser, Feb 25, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

As for me and many other customers that like the 4" form factor and like a small phone you can just put easily in your pocket, this 5se phone is just what we need. I am sure that an surprisingly high amount of customers who stuck with the iP 5 or 5s and hate bigger form factors (or even returned from 6 and 6plus back to 5s) will be very happy and buy the 5se. These customers don't need toys, they are no gamers neither, they don't need higher resolution screens but want a practical and solid, sturdy phone without gimmicks, but longer battery life and give a s**t on more "thinness".

I am also very sure that these customers are very concerned about privacy and willingly pay for a more powerful processor eventually needed for decent encryption/security hardware that provides human rights on privacy.

They will demand as much memory as possible- so I hope that apple will not only sell 64GB but also 128 GB models.

I believe that many of the customers in the age of 40-70 years will love this iPhone - if apple listens to them, which seems to be the case as they reactivate the 4" model without gimmicks - and luckily with the classic 3,5 mm jacl connection! YEAH !!!

I am sure the 5se will sell like hell - it is also a sort of "back to the roots" as for me it was the most solid engineered phone apple ever designed and had already more than enough features to rest happy with it for many, many years.

Maybe (I don't hope so, but it might be) it will be the last iPhone that still has unbroken security features and encryption without backdoors for totalitaristic political systems.

So - I will wait to be sure that this model has no hardware or firmware bugs - and then I will even buy two of them. Will use it with a strong alphanumeric password and never ever activate the fingerprint -opener for police-states all around the world...

I bet this iphone 5se will be a big success !

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I will be selling a 6s for it. I just hope it retains live photos (which it is rumored to). I really like the way it brings you back to the moment you took the picture. I never take videos, so it is a great middle ground.

16. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Maybe because they do not want parallels drawn between this and their September launch. Also, going by the name, chances are that this is a one-time thing like the 5c to check how popular a new 4.0" device will be (which, contrary to popular belief, I think it is not).

17. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Yes, this feature is one of the rare real-life-advantages regarding all the useless fashion-gimmicks all along the new lines... Less Megapixel than the 6s but better pictures under weak light conditions is also a clear every-day-advantage.

Never believed that apple will go "back" and listen to their customers... This is one of the rare good moves since some years... I hope this will be also a signal that Jony Ives design-absolutism has passed his zenith... Apple has to stop the ridiculous exaltations and go from "function follows form" fashion products back to decent "form follows function" PRO products... Perhaps they are about to comprehend.... Hope so...

18. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Maybe. But I don't see a 4.0" device going on for many years. Especially when websites, videos, word processors, emails, newspapers, books, finance apps are preferred by mobile users now more than ever. Of course I may be drastically wrong.

19. MrAverigeUser, Feb 25, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

I am sure that this form factor is nearly perfect, also that the sides of the 5 models are not round and you can hold it more easily and so it will not fall to ground as often as the too-thin-and-too-slippery successors.

As for reading: in some years you will enroll a separate thin paper-like thing, i.e. A OLED screen which has the form factor of a pencil when not used and the surface of an iPad or iPad mini when enrolled, and this screen will get its data wireless from your nice little 4" phone.... ;-) THAT will be the future, neither apple watch nor phablets! And your bluetooth in-ears will read the text for you - you just will have to listen while you are driving or closing your eyes in the airplane to relax a little bit...

20. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Some years == some years + some more years, in terms of Apple Years

Text-to-speech is available since some time now. Now how many people actually use it is another thing.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Well I am sure the sales of this phone will determine the future of 4" phones for Apple. Honestly, people are dumb. I do not mean that in a bad way, but people will see new iphone and flock.

22. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Which is why it is extremely unlikely that Apple will include features that are at par with or better than their flagships - including a better battery life.

23. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Yeah, possibly. i agree that a 4" device isn't going to be much of a homerun for them. That's why I don't understand why they don't just release it alongside the new iPhones as just a side note.

24. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Would be sad if apple does still not comprehend that it is the customer and not apple who decides what form factor they need or want... Phablets might appear as top-choice at first moment when you enter a apple store, always being influenced by their marketing... And when you make a quick test there.... But after a while some customers get tired of the far too big thing difficult to have it always with you...

There is clearly a market for real-life-customers who want a phone like that I fescribed alteady. After switching to the next model they could take some parts of the discontinued model and implant in the 4" form factor of the iP5 - not revolution, but EVOLUTION of nothing but the important hardware and refined features. Like the possibility to ZOOM the contacts or calender to be better lisible or some other REALLY IMPORTANT things for daily life...

I am pretty shure that they could develop step by step a "classic" line with focus on reliability, longer battery life, being more sturdy and so on. Most of the people would accept or more even WISH 1-2 mm plus of "thickness" to double battery life... This model line would not at all canabilize the so-called "top-line" models - but be very easy and cheap to produce: always the same Screen, form factor, etc. And one day perhaps a battery-saving OLED screen as the only change of appearence...

25. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

If you observe more than a decade of Apple's key products, you'll notice their ingrained belief that Apple knows what their customers want better than their customers themselves. The only deviation from this pattern was the iPhone 6 Plus.

What you propose is not impractical, and does make sense. To Apple's credit, I believe the 5se would be in every way quite a capable phone and nothing like its 5c counterpart. But more importantly, by this launch we'll also get to know how many takers a 4.0" phone has and if it is viable to continue that line.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    From the point of view of profit, it doesn't make good business sense to launch it alongside the 7 and 7 Plus in the holiday quarter. If there are 3 recently launched products out at the same time, a large number of holiday shoppers will prefer the cheapest alternative.