iPhone 6 Antenna Breaks

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
All the dummy units and leaked parts of the back plate that I've seen show wide, IMHO, unsightly antenna bands. What are the chances of these making it onto the final design? There are some reports claiming they are simply guidelines to case manufacturers with respect to antenna placement, so I'm hopeful. Maybe the lines will be much more polished or won't intersect or completely wrap around. The 5S is elegantly designed, so I hope we're not waiting for its thinner, fugly cousin. TBH, I'd pick her up anyway. :D

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I agree, those breaks don't look very good. Although I did see a leaked back that was dark grey which looked great even with those breaks. Also looks better if the top and bottom are glass again, otherwise those breaks just look out of place.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
All the dummy units and leaked parts of the back plate that I've seen show wide, IMHO, unsightly antenna bands. What are the chances of these making it onto the final design? There are some reports claiming they are simply guidelines to case manufacturers with respect to antenna placement, so I'm hopeful. Maybe the lines will be much more polished or won't intersect or completely wrap around. The 5S is elegantly designed, so I hope we're not waiting for its thinner, fugly cousin. TBH, I'd pick her up anyway. :D
The breaks are ugly. Honestly I hope it's not the final design. If it is I will keep the 5s.

MA-86

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
Judging by the leaked pictures of previous iPhones, especially the 5, that were depicting the final design of the phones many months before they were released, I would say that unfortunately these antenna brakes are going to be there on the iPhone 6.

HarryWild

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2012
Not sure if it can get rid of them. HTC seems to keep having them on the back even with the One M8! It seems likely that Apple will have to show them like HTC One.

I thought it would be easy just to color the top and bottom the same color as the antenna separators and thus hide them from view. But for what ever reason; it still shows up with the same design as the production HTC One M8!

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I don't give a damn as long as when holding the bands it doesn't drop calls...like I forget what version the iPhone 4? That was terrible

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I actually don't mind the breaks all that much. I don't mind the look of them on the HTC One, and if HTC can make them look okay I'm sure that Apple can.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Once it's confirmed as the actual design, everyone will fall in love with it like they do with everything else Apple makes/touches/buys

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do not really care too much about how the antenna lines look on the phone as I will slip on a surface case to protect against life's little knocks and move on.

I care more about how the phone works and it's usability.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Do not really care too much about how the antenna lines look on the phone as I will slip on a surface case to protect against life's little knocks and move on.

I care more about how the phone works and it's usability.
some people care about the design of the phone. I've been case-less for over 4 years now...

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I wouldn't worry about that. The dummy phones aren't 100% accurate with the details.

Whatever it looks like it'll sell out as usual.

----------

I don't give a damn as long as when holding the bands it doesn't drop calls...like I forget what version the iPhone 4? That was terrible
Apple will never make that mistake again. You can put money on that.

----------

Its not bad.

But it should be like this, allows for a bigger battery. Comfy and ergonomic

IPhone mini. 3.5" screen. $399 cash. IPhone 5c specs.

It would sell out

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Once it's confirmed as the actual design, everyone will fall in love with it like they do with everything else Apple makes/touches/buys
This.

Let's rewind to June 2012 - the first iP5 part leaks were rolling in, and...

This doesn't seem real because the back has this two tone matt/shinny finish which I cannot imagine apple doing.
what gives with that two-tone back - glass/plastic and aluminum?

This is something I couldn't figure out on the earlier videos - it looks quite naff and 'unApple'.
don't like the different coloured back
Wow, that's a pretty ugly back...
I think its time to sack Jony. That looks hideous
I really hope the dual material / two-tone back doesn't see the light of retail--so gauche and crude!
All of these comments were from actual MR posters, and most of them had a very high upvote count - the consensus in May 2012 was that the glass inserts were horrible. Now everybody seems to love them, and wants them in the iPhone 6?

Let's fast forward to 2016, a few months before the iPhone 7 launch...

Eugh, that's horrid! Where are the antenna bands???
Looks really bad. Should've kept the iP6 design with the bands.
SACK JONY! His designs were much better in 2014!
;)

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Let's rewind to June 2012 - the first iP5 part leaks were rolling in, and...
It's a tale as old as time. Remember the iPhone 4's seams on the metal band? It was literally unbelievable to a lot of people here that Apple could possibly put black lines on a silver thing. As soon as it was officially announced it was hailed as a paragon of modern industrial design, or something

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
It's a tale as old as time. Remember the iPhone 4's seams on the metal band? It was literally unbelievable to a lot of people here that Apple could possibly put black lines on a silver thing. As soon as it was officially announced it was hailed as a paragon of modern industrial design, or something
And to 95% of iPhone users, the look of the phone doesn't actually matter becuase they shove it in a cheap, plastic case with a badly printed photo of One Direction on the back.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
The silver one looks pretty sleek. :) I am partial to grays and blacks though

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
This rendering makes the wide bands look really good

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=ru&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com.ua&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://ukrainianiphone.com/25/06/2014/179926&usg=ALkJrhiHvYuwpM3QTy6Ns1-jLPlliM3-SQ

Attachments