Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It can happen, but it's not really what would be considered "normal". It basically means the battery is damaged.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

frogX

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
Berkeley USA
The battery in my 22-months old iPhone6 bulged and pushed the screen outwards until the case separated. The gap was up to 4mm. Browsing the web, this seems to be a known problem with the iPhone6, but Apple refused to recall or even replaced batteries after 3 months. The exception was the iPhone6s battery that Apple recalled for a short period of time because it was shutting the phone down at random. No such luck with the iPhone6, and it will cost you either $299 for a refurbished iPhone6 or $79 for a new battery if you find a friendly store manager. ‘Genius’ comment about the bulged battery was ‘you need to upgrade’ ! So I paid the $79 early December 2017, two weeks before Apple announced a $29 battery replacement campaign for the iPhone6 following the ‘aging battery slowdown’ fiasco. I just asked last week whether I would qualify for a refund of the $79-$29 difference, and the answer was ‘no … so far'.

iPhone6-1.jpg

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
A third party shop can replace the battery for like $30. Probably best to do that. You got plenty of use out of it for 3 years and eventually batteries wear out, so I would not expect Apple to replace it for free.

Also, this issue should be treated as an emergency. Get it taken care of within the next 24 hours. Don't wait. The phone could explode.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The batteries swell because they are kept at an elevated charge for extended periods of time. Heat is a big factor too. Once the battery charge level hits 100%, unplug it. If you're using the device plugged in all the time at 100%, that risks swelling the battery. It's best not to charge beyond 80% if you want the battery to last longer than you'll likely want to keep the phone.

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2009
My iPhone 6 is doing the same thing. I asked the Apple genius about it in December and she said it’s not safe because the battery could explode at any time (which was actually my fear). She’s said they’d charge me for a replacement battery but would change the entire phone as it is a known issue. I told her I’d wait. Glad I did cus now I can pay only $29:).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.