iPhone 6 battery issues dont know where to start

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by briandresscc, Jan 2, 2017.

1. briandresscc macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

If this has been answered before i sincerely apologize. I do not even know how where to start as this is my first new iphone experience. This 6 was my wifes and she upgraded to the 7 because she was having terrible battery issues. I recently started using it and now know she wasnt making it up. Was just on a call at 35% and the phone complete shut off. Plugged it in and it booted up at 26% already. I dont even know how this can happen.

when i first got it i tried the "charge it all the way and let it discharge all the way" thing but that didnt really help anything.

Again, sorry if this is the dead horse topic, my apologies for beating it.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. You can download an app like battery health from the app store to confirm this

3. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

are those apps fairly accurate? What is apple's policy on replacements? is it a safety issue where they replace it automatically? the one ihave is not under warranty anymore
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2017 ---
    I just downloaded it and it says it has lost 33.7% capacity

4. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Yeah I believe they're accurate. 33% means it needs replacement. Apple won't do it for free since it it's out of warranty and it's not a safety concern. I believe you can take it to an Apple store to have it done for $79 plus tax

5. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

if its out of warranty i should just repair it myself huh. I am an electronics tech by trade so opening it up and replacing it wouldnt be too bad

6. coolio93 macrumors 6502

If you feel confident doing so then yeah for sure!! It's not too difficult. I think the hard part is finding an OEM battery since all the ones I've found on Amazon and eBay aren't close to the quality of the original one that came in the phone

7. Relentless Power, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Unless you're 100% confident, I wouldn't attempt that at all. If you allow Apple/third party to do it, they would have it professionally installed. Installing it yourself could risk costing you more or worse, ruining the iPhone.

8. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm going through updating preferences to optimize my battery life like turning off background app refresh and location stuff.

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's just my opinion. But why risk it if you are unsure.

10. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

What are you talking about? I was asking about battery issues and whether the battery was toast. I am fully capable of tearing down and rebuilding the entire device no problem

11. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

Third party isn't always reliable btw. They replaced the screen for my wife and it's now separating from the frame indicating subpar replacement parts were used. "Trust a third party" yeah right

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I didn't say you weren't capable and I'm not sure why you're being so defensive when I offered feedback. You mentioned you "Should" replace battery yourself and I replied by advising to perhaps allow Apple to do it. If you're confident in the repair, then great.

And Because you had a poor experience with a third party retailer, doesn't mean they all are as shoddy as the one you recently used. And again, I never said "Trust" a third party retailer. I merely suggested this an option.

13. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for misinterpreting your statement. I'm just a bit frustrated with the OS getting used to it and finding what it causing the battery drain

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can understand that. Good luck with the repair.

15. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

If you feel Confident of your ability to take a phone apart and put it back together it is quite easy, there are videos showing step by step guides on YouTube. I followed one of these videos a year ago when I stripped down an iPhone 5 for someone and replaced the headphone jack part (which required a lot more stripping down than changing the battery does). The phone worked perfect afterwards. The hard part is as already mentioned finding a decent quality replacement battery up to the OEM standard. I'm currently looking for a quality battery to go in my old 5s which is starting to deteriorate slightly now battery wise so will need replacing sometime in the near future. The problem with these older models is that a phone like a 5s isn't worth much more than what Apple will charge to replace the battery and there's no warranty to lose so it's not worth going down that route if your capable of doing the simple job yourself.

16. HEK Suspended

HEK

Good luck with that, because after you mess around with it forget ever having apple do anything to the phone, even if you pay. They won't touch it. Take it to Apple Store, have them test it. Be open and honest, and not demanding. You could even perhaps get new battery for free. It has happened to others. If not pay the $79 and get a like new phone back. After market batteries are generally garbage.

17. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's already been opened and had the screen replaced by a third party so will they still "touch it"?

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Hmm. That's a good question. I'd say go third party again because any non coded Apple part on that iPhone will make them leery of doing any other repairs. That's just from what I've seen in others experiences.

19. Newtons Apple, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you are as competent as you cliam, why are you here, asking questions like this?

20. Pauly 6 String macrumors newbie

Had apple run diagnostic on my phone when I had similar issues. It was a corrupt app. My watch battery was runner my down too.

They had me wipe phone and reinstall OS and NOT restore from backup and it resolve the problem.

21. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Do not worry about the third party battery. As long as you are just prop up the upper case (part), do not mess with taking out the ribbon of the upper case and take out the battery, go from there, no problem what so ever.

22. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Download Battery Life and tell me your battery wear level.

23. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't be an ***hole buddy. My questions were if the battery was an actual issue. Not about how to replace the battery. I'll solder circles around you "friend"

24. briandresscc thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

25. ramram55 macrumors 6502

in my opinion it is about time to change the battery.