Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Just throwing this out there to put some things in perspective as to how "advanced" the iphone 6 design is.

iphone 6 - 138mm tall 4.7 inch screen.

galaxy alpha - 132mm tall 4.7 inch screen. also thinner.

moto x - 140mm tall 5.2 inch screen.

I won't even mention iphone 6 plus as it's proportions are even more antiquated

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I'm actually impressed with the Alpha's proportions.

It's thinner, lighter, shorter and narrower. All with a 4.7 inch screen.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Seriously, 'doge' avatar? That coupled with your post makes it quite obvious of your prepubescent state.

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
At some point Apple will probably change the home button to accommodate a smaller device. Maybe in 2 years with the iPhone 7.

Even with being taller and a tiny bit thicker than the Galaxy Alpha, the iPhone still looks a lot better (to me at least).

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I'm actually impressed with the Alpha's proportions.

It's thinner, lighter, shorter and narrower. All with a 4.7 inch screen.

You think that's impressive? Look up the Gionee 5.5 or the 5.15 or whatever. Stupid thin, with larger batteries than both the iPhone 6 and Alpha.

I'm quite sure the AMOLED screen technology is thinner because it doesn't require a backlight, the thinnest phones use them.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Just throwing this out there to put some things in perspective as to how "advanced" the iphone 6 design is.

I think I can manage the extra 6mm in height.:rolleyes:

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore

Now subtract the software buttons on the bottom of your plastic junk phone then report back with its screen size.

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013

go back to pretending to be a awesome day trader and doge bag holder.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
At some point Apple will probably change the home button to accommodate a smaller device. Maybe in 2 years with the iPhone 7.

Even with being taller and a tiny bit thicker than the Galaxy Alpha, the iPhone still looks a lot better (to me at least).

I think they'll eventually build the fingerprint reader into the screen itself, no physical button. That said, The single physical button on iDevices has always been cited as the thing that makes them so approachable and easy to use, even for someone who hasn't seen one before. So who knows?

I do think Ive was overly slavish to symmetry on the 6+. There is no reason whatsoever for the top bezel, containing the cameras and ear speaker, to be so tall.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

All this post shows is how something so insignificant can seemingly be so important. Are you arguing about 6mm? Really? Give me a break. This is laughable.

Sounds like you mad.

Sounds like you need to learn proper grammar.

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
Seriously, 'doge' avatar? That coupled with your post makes it quite obvious of your prepubescent state.

Sounds like you mad.

You're not helping your case against his statement.

On the topic at hand, "cool story bro" as it may be, the bezels don't really bother me. It gives you a little bit to hold on to while using it without interfering with the touch screen. Like lovehandles, something to hang on to.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I think they'll eventually build the fingerprint reader into the screen itself, no physical button. That said, The single physical button on iDevices has always been cited as the thing that makes them so approachable and easy to use, even for someone who hasn't seen one before. So who knows?

I do think Ive was overly slavish to symmetry on the 6+. There is no reason whatsoever for the top bezel, containing the cameras and ear speaker, to be so tall.

Disagree here. The balance gives it an aesthetic appeal. Look at the Galaxy Note Edge. Even if there was legit functionality in having a side bar, that phone is hideous.

What I don't really understand is why most Android phones have different top/bottom bezel heights. The only one I can think of that doesn't is Sony. And even though the Galaxy phones are only a couple millimeters of difference, it begs the question, what are they really saving

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think they'll eventually build the fingerprint reader into the screen itself

There was a patent filing online from last autumn that showed they have patented a display which can scan your fingerprint. Combine that with force touch from the Apple Watch as a home button (virtual on the screen?), new 14nm A9 processor which uses less battery and physical space, and you could perhaps lose the top and bottom bezels on a future iPhone. Probably not the 6S, as they tend to not change designs but every two years, but perhaps the A10 (AX?) chip in the iPhone 7.

I mean, it's just the natural evolution of things that they will eventually be all screen. I get what you guys are saying about the home button being essential to the simple nature of the iPhone, but eventually they are going to remove it or somehow transform it out of necessity.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Disagree here. The balance gives it an aesthetic appeal. Look at the Galaxy Note Edge. Even if there was legit functionality in having a side bar, that phone is hideous.

What I don't really understand is why most Android phones have different top/bottom bezel heights. The only one I can think of that doesn't is Sony. And even though the Galaxy phones are only a couple millimeters of difference, it begs the question, what are they really saving

I'm not saying there isn't an aesthetic aspect here. But you're telling me that an industrial designer of his renown couldn't have come up with a pleasing design where the top and bottom were different sizes? There must be some ratio that would look good.

There was a patent filing online from last autumn that showed they have patented a display which can scan your fingerprint. Combine that with force touch from the Apple Watch as a home button (virtual on the screen?), new 14nm A9 processor which uses less battery and physical space, and you could perhaps lose the top and bottom bezels on a future iPhone. Probably not the 6S, as they tend to not change designs but every two years, but perhaps the A10 (AX?) chip in the iPhone 7.

I mean, it's just the natural evolution of things that they will eventually be all screen. I get what you guys are saying about the home button being essential to the simple nature of the iPhone, but eventually they are going to remove it or somehow transform it out of necessity.

Yeah I figured 7 if not 8.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I'm not saying there isn't an aesthetic aspect here. But you're telling me that an industrial designer of his renown couldn't have come up with a pleasing design where the top and bottom were different sizes? There must be some ratio that would look good.

Apple is all about the user experience. When you turn your iPhone horizontally, the sides should be balanced. This is one thing I didn't get about the Nexus 5. The top and bottom bezels are different sizes. Someone suggested it was due to on-screen keys, so when the phone was in landscape the keyboard was easy to type on for both hands. But the on screen buttons are on the side with the larger bezel. And the bottom has a larger bezel.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Apple is all about the user experience. When you turn your iPhone horizontally, the sides should be balanced. This is one thing I didn't get about the Nexus 5. The top and bottom bezels are different sizes. Someone suggested it was due to on-screen keys, so when the phone was in landscape the keyboard was easy to type on for both hands. But the on screen buttons are on the side with the larger bezel. And the bottom has a larger bezel.

Well sure they "should" ideally be balanced in landscape for typing. But at sufficiently small dimensions (and I would argue that a smart phone, even a giant one like the 6+, has such dimensions) as long as your thumbs could meet in the middle your brain could parse the keyboard being slightly off center.

At a certain point, aesthetics ought to take a back seat to functionality. You mentioned user experience. Would the overall user experience of the device - including everything from holding it in your hands to having it in your pocket - not be enhanced were the device less tall (or more accurately, less tall for a given screen size)?

EDIT - btw I'm speaking as someone who happily ordered a 6+ but wish it were a little shorter.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I will say this, about the Samsung alpha, Samsung knew exactly what they were doing when they made this. At first when it was announced with the lower resolution 720p screen I was like oh no, Samsung screwed that up big time. It will never compete with the iPhone 6. Low and behold though, Apple came out with an even lower resolution screen for the 6. I was actually super surprised.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014

And those other phones and nice and plastic'y right? What version of laggy software is it on now too? 5.4.2.7.8 Strawberry Sundae? Or is it still Pineapple Upside Down Cake?

----------

I will say this, about the Samsung alpha, Samsung knew exactly what they were doing when they made this. At first when it was announced with the lower resolution 720p screen I was like oh no, Samsung screwed that up big time. It will never compete with the iPhone 6. Low and behold though, Apple came out with an even lower resolution screen for the 6. I was actually super surprised.

Ummmm…….. the regular 6 resolution is higher than 720p...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.