iPhone 6 Broken Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dgfreeman, Sep 22, 2014.

1. dgfreeman macrumors newbie

So I have been love my my iPhone 6 64GB for three days until today. I dropped my phone from my pocket, while seated at my desk, and the screen broke.

This is first time I have ever broke a screen on any device I've ever owned ever.

It honestly slid out of my pocket and onto the ground. When I picked it up, the screen was crack on the opposite corner from what hit the floor.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411435051.421990.jpg

I called Apple and they said I could send the phone in and it could be repaired for $109. He sent me link to get the process started. I followed the instructions and was getting ready to submit the billing info and the total that appeared was $299.97 plus shipping of $16.

NOT A CHANCE

Guess I'm stuck with a broken screen for the next year on a phone I had for 72 hrs.

2. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Obviously if you were told it would be something and it said something else, u should call and see what's up... Go to an Apple Store and see what they say.

3. FuzzMunky macrumors regular

4. Fayt349 macrumors newbie

5. FuzzMunky macrumors regular

Sorry, but that case does not look better than the naked phone. It looks to me like an Adidas sweatband from the 90s. But each to their own I guess.

6. msegina613 macrumors member

I have been saying it for days, with the new curved edge screen it much easier to crack the screen.

Mine will live and die in a Otterbox Defender from unboxing till i replace it.

7. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

8. IndoX macrumors 6502

OP is it a single hairline crack? It looks like it from the photo you posted.

If it's a single hairline crack that's covered by limited warranty. Just go to the nearest Apple Retail store and they can swap it out for you.

9. darkonex macrumors member

I like that case, almost ordered it myself. Went with this one instead just for more protection and it was only $9.95 at the time http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JYKGDD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but definitely not as purty as the Spigen. I'll likely end up getting something a little nicer looking once more come out.

10. kerrikins macrumors 65816

If you're seeing a different amount, call them up and ask what's going on. No need to conclude that you're stuck.

11. dgfreeman thread starter macrumors newbie

The nearest Apple Store is 2.5 hrs from me.

----------

"If you're seeing a different amount, call them up and ask what's going on. No need to conclude that you're stuck"

I have called about this and they were dismissive, I may try again tomorrow.

As far as all you guys going on about having a case on it, I haven't ever had to use a case on any of my devices in my life. I've never broken or damaged in any way any of my phones. The otter box case in my opinion is absolutely hideous and uncomfortable to use on a daily basis. I would have gotten the silicone cover from apple but there were none available with my preorder. Don't know if it would have prevented this damage anyway.

12. Killchain macrumors member

Killchain

13. IndoX macrumors 6502

The problem is that you called already and admitted to dropping it. I suggest calling them again and telling them it's a single hairline crack and they may cover it. Otherwise your best bet may be the Genius Bar.

14. RyanG macrumors 6502

They have published the rates officially so I'm not sure how they can deny it.

15. shaunmed macrumors regular

Ugly-box defender is more accurate. why buy a beautiful phone and encase it in a half inch thick piece of f-ugly rubber?

16. dgfreeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, the problem is that I called and told ... ... wait for it...

THE TRUTH!

17. rman0726 macrumors regular

Concur. Definitely looks like a hairline fracture. They should replace it for free.

It doesn't matter that you dropped it. Apple considers it their fault that the screen got a hairline fracture based on how you dropped it.

18. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

A phone should be able to tolerate a twelve-to-sixteen inch drop, without the screen cracking.

I've dropped my 5s multiple times, and my gf dropped it down cement stairs when touring property. Barely a scratch on the 5s.

iPhone 6 design is bad.

19. boombashi macrumors regular

Sounds like a road trip. I would highly recommend going into the Apple Store and talking to a genius. Tell the truth. They often take pity and may hook you up.

20. plantemichel macrumors newbie

plantemichel

What's wrong with you peoples??? Those expensives devices needs cases

21. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

I had an apple care plus on my 5S. Bought it when buying the phone. Dropped it the next day. Apple replaced the display for me for free. May be your best bet is to buy apple care and then take your phone back in

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct and my Apple store manager sister can attest to this.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not think Apple should be responsible in any way. You drop your phone, you own the damage. The sense of entitlement is off the scale.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You probably didn't specifically inform them that it has a single hairline crack, so I recommend going into an Apple store and they'll swap it out per policy.

----------

Believe me, I tried to argue that with my Apple store manager sister to no avail. They set the policy so it doesn't matter what we think.

25. MSK5959 macrumors member

May be ugly, but my phones have all been pristine when I sold them. I'd rather have a functioning phone that doesn't look as "cool"