Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Maybe his purchase decision parameters were heavily weighted towards the OS and the ecosystem and not so much on the thinness..

Exactly like with me... I don't give a cr@p about the thickness of my phone as I always use expensive, rugged cases with them for the ultimate protection, making the equally thick. (This is why my second phone I also always keep with me is the thick Nokia 808.)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You may like to carry one with you all the time; along with your notepad, pencil, diary, atari lynx, address book, OS maps, walkman, dictaphone, telegram machine, video player etc..

I personally like to embrace new technology and strive for things to have higher quality, be faster and ultimately help to enrich my lifestyle.

Each to their own, though somehow, I don't think I am on my own with this one.
Wow, so I'm a luddite. Thanks for defining me, appreciate it.

Maybe you could identify which of all this tech you'd like to remove from your theoretical double-lensed "phone" that has more camera tech in it than a camera. Because I assume you want it smaller than 2 DSLRs.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Increasing the pixel size is exactly the right thing to do! While all the marketing gurus are counting their megapixels, which lead to increasingly worse images with more noise, scaling up the pixels adds a lot to the image quality. More light, less noise.
Also read this website, which suggests that 6 megapixels are enough for most photographers and more megapixels only worsens the image: http://6mpixel.org/en/

While I am a supporter bigger pixel size and less megapixels, there is also Nokia 808 PureView, which has 41MP camera, pixels must be tiny on it, yet it oversamples images and produces 5-8MP images that rival DSLR quality in good daylight.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
While I am a supporter bigger pixel size and less megapixels, there is also Nokia 808 PureView, which has 41MP camera, pixels must be tiny on it, yet it oversamples images and produces 5-8MP images that rival DSLR quality in good daylight.

I too love the 808. It does deliver VERY good IQ.

Nevertheless, the pixels it has aren't THAT tiny. After all, we're speaking of a monstrous, 1/1.2" sensor much-much larger than sensors in any other smartphone, even in that of the 1020. This means the pixels are 1.12µm, that is, they aren't much smaller than the 1.4µm pixels of the iPhone 4S/5/5c or the 1.5µ pixels of the 5s (iPhones have always been using lower-Megapixel sensors) and are exactly the same size as those of the Note 3 or the LG G2, bothhaving the same-sized pixels, that is, 1.12µm, as the 808.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Not likely, imo. They'll try and compensate digitally for a slow lens in low light, and probably add some feature to add bokah after so people will believe they can shoot whole weddings with an iPhone.

That has been done.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
I just wish I could get RAW 8Mpx photos out of that camera. Then the processing would not result in quality deterioration.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I just wish I could get RAW 8Mpx photos out of that camera. Then the processing would not result in quality deterioration.

Yup, WRT RAW, Apple is also heavily behind the competition:

- Google announced adding RAW access support in Android at least half a year ago

- Nokia provides RAW access on all their handsets.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Yup, WRT RAW, Apple is also heavily behind the competition:

- Google announced adding RAW access support in Android at least half a year ago

- Nokia provides RAW access on all their handsets.

To be fair, i believe RAW access is not too distant. Sure, Apple will only be catching up, but it's going to be a most welcome feature. A long overdue and most welcome one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.