iPhone 6+ camera OIS - optical?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparkie7, Nov 4, 2014.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Is the 6+ rear camera an OPTICAL image stabilisation vs the 6's DIGITAL image stabilisation?

So does that mean the 6+ has actual HARDWARE Image stabilisation then?

2. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Correct.
    The 6 Plus uses hardware stabilisation and actually moves whereas the smaller 6 uses software (digital) stabilisation.

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Ok, thanks

Any reason why this wasn't implemented on the 6? -- spaces constraints, or just a way for  to make the 6+ different and charge more..

4. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Although there is no 'official' reason it is believed to be size related.
    The iPhone 6 Plus 5.5-inch model is 7.1mm-thin, while the iPhone 6 4.7-inch model is 6.9mm-thin.
    Clearly this would be an issue for the 'floating' sensor found in the 6 Plus to be inserted in the smaller 6.

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

So the 6+ images (and video) are significantly better?

6. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

For low light yes....
    This is because having OIS hardware wise will allow the camera sensor to remain open just that little bit longer and in turn the ISO to be much lower with an end result the shot will be much brighter, cleaner and with less noise.

ISO needs plenty of light and the only way to have a low ISO (say ISO200) for night shooting is to alter the speed so that the sensor remains open longer.
    However, opening the sensor longer will result in blurry shots.
    So, to get round a blurry shot you use OIS which will counteract any small amounts of blur.

Hope you understood all that. :)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its better because the shutter can remain open longer without introducing camera shake to make the image blurry. This means it will perform better in lower lighting situations.

8. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Errr..... Mike, that's what I said above. :)

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just remember, OIS doesn't help if the stuff in the photo is moving.

10. MisterMankind macrumors newbie

And it's also not active when recording video. It effectively just helps for photos in lowlight situations.

11. Imory macrumors 6502a

Significantly? I wouldn't really say that. Check out Anandtechs review if you want to see the differences. Ars Technica and GSMArena have some good comparisons as well.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Thats what OIS means.

13. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Wait minute.

Does the software actually open the shutter longer on the 6+ vs. the 6?

Or does the OIS on the 6+ help make the image clearer with the same exposure curve as the 6, by way of keeping the picture in focus better?

Noise would be a huge factor of leaving the shutter open longer in very low light?

14. BlazingGold macrumors member

iPhone 6+ camera OIS - optical?

I've read that the 6+'s OIS is probably not being used for video, which is unfortunate. The differences between the two are pretty much minimal for images and no difference at all for video. Apple's specs list both iPhones as having the same video technology, thus pretty much saying that OIS is not even used for video. I've noticed that my 6+'s low light photos are not nearly as good as I would have hoped. Zooming in just even slightly to the photo shows blur that I don't remember having on my Iphone 5. It seemed clearer

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With OIS, it does leave the shutter open longer.

----------

I was adding my conformation :)

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Lowering the ISO by using a longer shutter speed reduces noise. OIS reduces blur caused by camera shake, but a longer shutter speed can allow for the subject to blur due to it moving. Devices like the Samsung NX Mini and Panasonic C1 do better in low light by using a much larger sensor.

17. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

So, there maybe some mapping where the OIS will actually work: with axes of speed of the subject, lighting and focal distance, bounding the control points for OIS function.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

OIS reduces blur caused by the camera moving. It does nothing for blur caused by the subject moving; the only way to reduce that is by using a faster shutter speed.

19. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I took this short video with my Plus on a flight from Tucson to Phoenix. There was a lot of turbulence and it was a really rough ride. I wanted to capture the turbulence, but I forgot about the OIS on the Plus. The few small jiggles there are are from when my Plus actually struck the window. My iPhone was bouncing upo and down and from side to side most of the time (one-handed grip).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inoX33o_jRg

20. MisterMankind macrumors newbie

Again:

video stabilization is a software feature that is exactly the same on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+. What you are showing has nothing to do with OIS - it would in fact have looked exactly the same on an iPhone 6.

21. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

You're right about that. My bad. I forgot that it was separate from stabilization in photos.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not necessarily. It'll depend on camera shake but a review done without a tripod (which would eliminate the shake) indicates that it hardly made a real world difference.

iPhone 6, no OIS
    [​IMG]

iPhone 6 Plus with OIS
    [​IMG]

24. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Say what?? I have not heard about this. The OIS for video is one of the reason I got the plus. :( What do I search for more info?