iPhone 6 destroys Android phones in speed tests.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
https://bgr.com/2014/10/02/iphone-6-vs-htc-one-m8-vs-galaxy-s5/

"Even though many smartphone enthusiasts were quick to scoff at the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus for their seemingly substandard specs, reviews and benchmark tests revealed that the new iPhones, with their dual-core A8 chips and 1GB of RAM, can easily beat high-end Android devices that pack fast quad-core CPUs and 2GB to 3GB of RAM when it comes to performance."

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The HTC and the Samsung defenitely don't have over double the number of pixels than the iPhone 6 to push.

Or do they?
:rolleyes:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
The 1GB RAM doesn't seem to slow the iPhone anywhere but Safari reloads (at times).

:apple:

iosuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
I'm very impressed by the fact that, somehow, the iPhone did not need to reload the apps on the 2nd lap, but of course the Safari tab had to reload. Whatever trick Apple is doing with memory management looks to work quite well.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
But but but the Phandroids are all about higher hardware (useless / unoptimized / crappy) specs.

Where are the 2GB RAM waaaaahmbulances?

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Interesting to see that Apple's management of RAM is better than phones with 2GB+, clearly it shows that the new iPhones really don't need 2GB of RAM - forgetting about safari having to reload.

One thing though is that due to the less RAM apps on iOS are probably better optimised and although this test shows some nice RAM management on Apple's part I wouldn't say this was exactly a 'fair test'.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Less about the affect of specs on your user experience and more about the value you get from the device.

Why am I paying for 1gb of ram, when I can have 2gb for the same price?

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
They both have quad core cpus. that should be enough for that resolution. So thats not really an excuse.
Maybe, maybe not. The number of cores and clock speed aren't really an apples to apples comparison from one processor architecture to the next.

It's the same reason you can't really compare AMD and Intel based on cores/clock speed. You can have fewer cores and a lower clock speed but still benchmark better due to being able to process more instructions per cycle.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Less about the affect of specs on your user experience and more about the value you get from the device.

Why am I paying for 1gb of ram, when I can have 2gb for the same price?
Did you see the video? Did you see what 2gb gets you? Guess not.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Did you see the video? Did you see what 2gb gets you? Guess not.
Yeah, for cheaper prices than iP6s, let them buy those bigger and heavier ugly monstrosities. Fully loaded bargains that will not last long enough then quickly flood the landfills.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Yeah but Android has an advantage in specs! The iPhone is behind in specs.
Agreed. Just think, if iPhone had more RAM, an over-clocked quad core processor, more megapixels, and a qHD display, think how much faster it would be than Android.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Wish they would have tested multiple tabbed browsing. That's 90% of what I do with my phone...

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Agreed. Just think, if iPhone had more RAM, an over-clocked quad core processor, more megapixels, and a qHD display, think how much faster it would be than Android.
Probably it will shut up the masturbating and ihating Phandroids over their stupid "bigger and more specs is better" mentality / obsession.

iPhone 7 multiple mother of all iProjects / release will do it since the iP6 already kind of silenced the obsessed oversize crowd.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Where are the 2GB RAM waaaaahmbulances?
I'll keep writing this until people understand: Benchmarks rarely, if ever, account for RAM. They are about speed. Back in my old MacBook Pro I upgraded from 2GB of RAM to 6GB. Geekbench results were the same. Was my system much more responsive switching between apps like CS4? You bet. Did it page that old spinning hard drive less? Yep. You need RAM to keep your tabs loaded and to quickly resume apps that are in the background. Benchmarks are about completing a set of tasks in a single app. iOS doesn't do much caching to NAND, and the NAND is much slower than a traditional SSD. Closer to the speed of a normal modern spinning hard drive, from what I've been able to gather.

RAM gives a better experience in actual use, CPU gives a better experience in actual use and in benchmarks. The A8 is quite capable and fast in performing calculations, not in loading or swapping content. CPU and RAM are two different things. It's like saying that a person who is fast but forgetful is just as talented as a person who is fast and can remember many things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.