iPhone 6 Holdout - Do I Get a 7 or an 8 or an X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Sep 24, 2017.

1. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

So I'm a Day 1 iPhone 6 owner who was never excited enough (and frankly still not excited enough) about any newer iPhone, so I just stuck with the 6 and have been happy.

But 3 years is a long time, every new iOS will slow my phone a bit, Force Touch is a feature I've always wanted, my battery isn't what it used to be, and its simply time to get a new iPhone.

So the question is: Which iPhone should an iPhone 6 holdout get?

Price is no object, the money isn't an issue at all. The X is cool looking, but the Face ID thing concerns me. The 8 would be the logical choice on paper, but it's thicker and heavier with the glass back and wireless charging means nothing to me. The 7 is an option, I avoid the glass that way, bigger battery without the wireless charging internals, but I worry that I'll have speed issues and run into an iOS version down the road that is sluggish.

I really could use some advice here.

Thanks.

2. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

If you don’t like glass, get the 7, simple

3. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I'd get an 8/Plus or a X if I were you, especially if you think you'll be hanging onto your phone for 2 or more years.

I'm on a 6s Plus, and right now I'm really leaning towards the 8 Plus. The X is cool; however, it's going to be very new in a lot of ways. I'm not sure how it's going to fare once it gets into the real world and regular people start using it. It may turn out that the experience needs to be a bit more refined before I move in that direction.

Regarding the glass back of the 8, I've seen and read some drop tests where the glass back actually held up pretty well. Also consider that the glass back is not nearly as slippery as the aluminum back. That is especially apparent when you go into a store and hold one.

4. Wreckus, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

I'd suck it up and get the 8 and get a good case if your worried with the glass back.

After a full day with the 8+ yesterday, I have absolutely no regrets. Going from the 6S +, it doesn't feel heavier at all and the True Tone screen is fantastic. Battery life is much much, better than I had with the 6S + and the glass back (when its not in a case) feels sturdy in the hands. Wireless charging is great as well (wish Apple introduced this in the 6 or 7 series iphones).

5. ImBuz macrumors 6502

ImBuz

8 or 8+ if it were me--although nothing wrong with the 7 series--and a little less expensive

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Pros and cons with all of those choices.

Best bang for the buck is the 7.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I have the iPhone 6, batterywear, capacity at 94%

Smooth and good

Will go for iPhone X
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    IMG_0384.PNG

8. RhysoTDI macrumors member

RhysoTDI

I just traded up for an 8 and I’m more than happy.

The 8 zips along between apps; its proper quick compared to the 6

My reason for the 8? I like the size of the phone and I simply couldn’t get my head around paying £1000 for a phone

I’ll let everyone else beta test the X.......Although it might be the XVII if my 8 performs and lasts as long as the 6 did :)

9. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

Same here... 6s Plus to the 8 Plus.

The 8 Plus is better in every way... with amazing battery life!

10. Fredo C macrumors member

I’m in the exact same situation with a day one iPhone 6 Plus. Everything that has come out after has seemed like an incremental update and my 6 Plus has been solid however the battery is bad now and there is a problem with the earpiece which makes it hard for me to hear people unless I’m in a quiet room. I would like a better camera as well. It’s time for a new phone.

I was all set on the X but frankly I consider it a step down because the usable screen is smaller than my 6 Plus. I don’t like the notch design and am skeptical about Face ID but willing to try it. That brings me to the 8 Plus which I like but consider it old tech, a dinosaur in today’s tech world. The thought of spending $950 for that obsolete form factor and screen technology doesn’t agree with me.

I am really thinking of paying the $100 deductible and having the 6 Plus replaced under carrier warranty and using that for another year, in hopes that there will be an X Plus that appeals to me more next yr.

11. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

I LOL'ed at this.

The 8 Plus is the T Rex of dinosaurs... and you can quote me on that.

12. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

What matters most to me is battery life. I've got a new car with CarPlay for the first time and it requires that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi be on and I don't want to toggle them on/off all day to save battery like I do now with my iPhone 6.

Can anyone chime in on whether the iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 or iPhone X would have better/longer battery life than any of the others if I left Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on all the time?

13. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

If you're worried about battery life you'll be fine with the 8.

That was the biggest reason I traded in the 6s Plus for the 8 Plus. In addition to the fading ear speaker the battery life was pretty bad. I use Apple Music at work and the phone would last about a half day before needing to be charged. Once it got around 20% the battery life would drop like a rock.

I went to the fair yesterday for nearly 8 hours... listening to music and it was around 60% when I left... a noticeable improvement doing the same thing I do at work for the same period of time.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

In terms of battery life, it's

ipX - ip7 - ip8

I'm guesstimating on the ip8 ( a bit).

15. gadget123 macrumors 68000

As someone said in another thread if you can afford an X or 8 why even consider an IPhone 7??

Surely it’s going to be obsolete much quicker. My advice is don’t buy IPhone 7 if you have the budget for the 8 and X.

16. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

First day of hammering my 8+ today, it’s currently on 29% after being taken off charge at about 8.30am.
    Whilst that doesn’t sound good, it has run an entire football match using something called pitchero play. This sets the brightness at 100% and is videoing the entire match, with any goal clips being uploaded to the club website as they are marked in the app. So that was for about 95-100 minutes (had a nasty injury first half).
    Then general use during the day, then just catching the last five minutes of the jags game at Wembley on the Internet.
    Compare this to my iPhone 6 which managed 35-45minutes of pitchero play and needed a battery pack for the second half, let alone the rest of the day...

17. moxietown macrumors newbie

moxietown

I'd get the 8/Plus or X. No reason to stop on the 7... not a lot of features and benefits going up 1 phone generation from your 6. Was on 6+, and just went to 8, MUCH nicer. All glass is very nice too, and it's light, feels like gorilla corning glass. Already dropped it on the door step without a case (toddler grabbed at the headphone wire and it flew to the ground hard) no impact or damage.

18. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It has the same internals/benchmarks as the X, blows away every other phone on the market! You can make the argument that the LCD screen is outdated (although anyone who's never had an OLED screen is unlikely to care because you won't miss what you've never had), but the argument that the form factor is "obsolete" makes no sense. No one likes to admit it, but it's really just psychological conditioning from companies like Apple and Samsung that compel us to believe that it's important for our devices to look current. Anyone who says that anything about the iPhone 8 is "obsolete" doesn't know what the word actually means.

20. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

What app is that?

21. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Just search for battery life apps

22. schoff0310 macrumors member

schoff0310

You can take your 6 to Apple and have them clean the earpiece. Guarantee you will hear better!
    I have 6 Plus and it's very slow. I thought it was my wifi but played with 8plus at ATT and its crazy fast! I, too don't know what to do. I love my 6plus.

QUOTE="Fredo C, post: 25107124, member: 680333"]I’m in the exact same situation with a day one iPhone 6 Plus. Everything that has come out after has seemed like an incremental update and my 6 Plus has been solid however the battery is bad now and there is a problem with the earpiece which makes it hard for me to hear people unless I’m in a quiet room. I would like a better camera as well. It’s time for a new phone.

I was all set on the X but frankly I consider it a step down because the usable screen is smaller than my 6 Plus. I don’t like the notch design and am skeptical about Face ID but willing to try it. That brings me to the 8 Plus which I like but consider it old tech, a dinosaur in today’s tech world. The thought of spending $950 for that obsolete form factor and screen technology doesn’t agree with me.

I am really thinking of paying the $100 deductible and having the 6 Plus replaced under carrier warranty and using that for another year, in hopes that there will be an X Plus that appeals to me more next yr.[/QUOTE]

23. USF813 macrumors regular

I upgraded my 6 to a 7 last week. The marginal differences between the 7 and 8 weren’t worth the price difference in my opinion. The performance upgrade between the 6 and 7 is significant enough. And all this talk about wireless charging when I haven’t seen wireless charging offered at any place I frequent. Why pay for something that isn’t widely available yet?

The 7 was also price dropped by $100 and Apple will give you a trade in credit for your 6 if you opt not to sell it privately.

24. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

The reason is that what I care about most [in order]:

1. Battery life.
    2. Weight.
    3. OS Speed.

Some think that the 7 ticks all the boxes. Are you saying the 8 does? I thought the 8 weighs more because of the glass and has lesser battery life because of the wireless charging that I don't need and a smaller battery as a result?

25. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Get the 8 so you can wait it out until the X gets a bit more refined.