iPhone 6 is a slippery buggar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netnothing, Sep 19, 2014.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Got our new iPhone 6's today....proceeded to have it slip out of my hands 2 times.

The 3rd time, slipped out of my hands, onto the desk and then onto the floor, cracking the glass.

Lucky me :eek:

Don't have Applecare because purchased from AT&T. Usually I buy it within the first week.

Anyway, went to Apple store....really weird policy right now....because normally they would try to replace just the screen, but the equipment isn't in yet. Weird though that to have a device replaced it was only $109. Thought for sure the minimum they'd charge me would be the old screen price of around $269.

Needless to say, I picked up a case on my way out ;)

-Kevin

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

You can buy Applecare at Att now, just fyi.

3. davefromca macrumors 6502

Youve had a $800 product for a matter of hours and dropped it until you shattered the glass? Well at least you did not blame apple, but you should probably cut down on the drinking.

4. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Didn't see any option for it in preorder and of course, I'm rushing at 3am to get the order completed.

-Kevin

5. RyanG macrumors 6502

6. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Not for me either. I bought a case from Amazon just as a precaution but wasted $10. Naked baby all the way! The ipod Touch 5th gen is much more slippery.

7. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

If only I was drinking!

No, I'm not one to blame Apple, it's my dumbass fault. But the 6 is really slippery to me compared to the 5 (which I went caseless and did drop 3-4 times with no issue).

I think with the 6 having the glass towards the edges and slightly protrude....any drops will likely result in broken glass.

Oh well....live and learn. Least it only cost me $109.

-Kevin

8. jpcarro, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

I put a Spigen Slim Fit on my 6. It's even more slippery. It slipped and I juggled, but caught it. Off came the case. Going naked for now. Oh, and I have AppleCare+.

9. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I'm still waiting for my 6+ from UPS but I ran out this morning and got a leather case from the apple store for just this reason. I also just ordered a seidio surface case since they just got them in stock.

10. davefromca macrumors 6502

You left while your + could have potentially been delivered??? Are you out of your ***** mind?!?!?

11. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Did feel slick in my pocket. I didn't rush out and buy a case yet. Always more expensive when new phone model released.

12. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, something about the rounded edges I think. Sitting here at the desk setting up both mine and wifes and constantly reaching forward and putting them down.....just managed to have mine slip a few times, with the last being to the floor sadly.

Yeah on cases....I did pick up an Apple leather black case.....overall I think it's nice, just not the price. Going looking for others tonight and I'll return Apple one if I find a better one.

The leather is still kind of slippery, but to me not as much as the naked phone.

-Kevin

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Are you sure you aren't this kid?:p;):D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lhXOgJ8ahA

14. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

No....but my wife showed me that earlier, then after I dropped it and got home with the new she gave my endless amounts of crap!

-Kevin

15. Sonmi451 Suspended

16. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

The funny thing is when on my way to the Apple store I saw my UPS guy in my neighborhood and asked him if he could give me my phone but he couldn't find it in his truck it was so full of boxes. I asked him to definitely leave it at the front door so I wasn't worried but he still hasn't come so I guess he's having a long day today.

17. Zarx macrumors newbie

Aren't your hand full of oil?...
    Anyway, a case may be you choice.

18. teabonesteak macrumors regular

i have really dry hands and trying to pick up a naked 6 off a table is not easy. it's not hard, but not automatic like a 4-5

19. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

SMH, people already breaking their 6's and I don't even have mine yet. :mad::rolleyes::D;)

:apple:

20. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Get a skin like bestskinsever. You can protect, have grip, and make it look good too (since its transparent).

21. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I've almost dropped mine a couple times myself in 24 hours. I agree it's very slippery. Ordered a case from Amazon that will hopefully fix that. The curved edges plus thinness plus bigger size is what does it I think

22. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

Damn the luck. I hope my leather case comes in at the same time as the phone lol

23. cardfan macrumors 65816

Wife got a speck grip case for the 6. Works pretty well and it's just like her 5s one. For the plus I got apple's leather one.

24. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

You may have purchase protection through your credit card company ...
    You really should call and ask them. If you used the same card for the replacement, they may just shoot you a credit.
    That sucks man.... Good luck

25. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm sorry to hear that, it must have been cringe-worth but I'm glad you weren't holding a baby!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's definitely thinner and the box-design was easier to hold in my opinion than the cured design like the iPod touch. I never used a case on my 4S, but I bought Apple's leather case this time because it added nice grip without bulk.