iPhone 6 might only have 1GB of ram.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wilky76, Jul 9, 2014.

1. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

Something tell me the iPhone 6 4.7" will only come with the same 1GB of ram the 5S did and 2GB saved for the 5.5" version, if this end up being the case will you still go for the 4.7" version?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I doubt they'd do this - Apple never publicises the amount of RAM in iDevices in Keynotes, much less making it a differentiating factor between two products.

3. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Surely it's about time we move up to 2GB on every model of the iPhone now.

4. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Nope.. the 4.7'' and the 5.5'' iPhone aren't for the same market segment. I doubt it that they will make one of them more premium than the other. Also considering most people are in for the 4.7'' it makes even less sense.

5. cynics macrumors G3

On a technical level a larger iPhone would need to be more premium then a smaller to move more pixels around. If not it will benchmark slower. Tech reviewers would have a field day with that.

That said it could just be a bump in clock speed.

6. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

No way we'll still get 1GB of ram, they made 64 bit processors for a reason ;)

7. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

That's right but I'm pretty sure it will be handled like the iPad mini to the iPad Air, so as you said with a processor speed bump.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Still having only 1GB RAM would not be a deal breaker for me.

Pretty sure it would not for most others either.:rolleyes:

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most users on the street wouldn't be able to tell you any of the specs their iPhone has other than storage size, because they picked that when they bought it

A small minority of users like Forum readers and geeks keep up with that stuff, but most users do not IMO, they just use their iPhone without giving it much thought

10. sunking101, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

When the top Android smartphones are now shipping with 3GB of RAM, I'll not be getting the iPhone6 if it comes with only 1GB. We already experience Safari page reloading issues due to the paltry 1GB.
    RAM, or a lack thereof, will be what holds the 5S back over the coming 18-24 months. Processor power is meaningless if the RAM holds it back. RAM has always been a quick fix for poorly performing hardware, and to not have a decent amount built in from the get-go on such an expensive device would be criminal. I just cannot see Apple releasing a smartphone with one third of the RAM of their competitors' products.

I'm already extremely tempted to jump ship to the Note 4 when it arrives, and a low amount of i6 RAM would clinch the deal. The Note 4 will have *at least* 3GB of RAM, plus a removable battery. That's two massive boxes ticked, whilst the iPhone 6 will only tick the iOS box if it ships with less than 2GB of RAM.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Basically it is US that is not normal and not the typical user.

I agree 100%.

I spent a great 5 years in Athens, I almost hated to graduate and leave:)

GO DAWGS! Hope this is a great year for them!

12. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Again with the baseless assumptions. Did you see the iPad get 2GB of ram since it has a larger screen than the iPhone and it's a tablet?

13. Pewpewpew macrumors member

The A8 will come with 1GB of RAM, so all devices will have 1GB

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

First off, baseless assumptions about a yet non-announced device.

Second - I have not, at one point, thought "I wish my 5S had more RAM". The iPhone is perfectly fine with 1GB for now.

15. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Despite what the spec pushers say :)

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

And they're probably happier for it.

17. cynics macrumors G3

If nothing else with the way iOS (and all mobile OS's) uses RAM apps will be able to maintain their suspended state longer. More RAM would only benefit the end user at this point, not getting more will only benefit Apples bank account.

Nothing more annoying the leaving an app to do something else only to return and watch it refresh. Generally losing anything you were doing and the place you were.

18. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5s has 512mb only.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

you're wrong.

20. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Thats more to do with iOS's current inability to multitask, not RAM. Also if multitasking is coming to later versions of iOS 8 then I would assume they would put more RAM in to help it run more smoothly.

21. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

ITT: A bunch of baseless speculation. Title was a little misleading.

22. cynics, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

cynics macrumors G3

iPhone 6 might only have 1GB of ram.

It's directly related to RAM. App can only stay suspended if there is RAM available to do so. If a foreground app needs it then closed.

There is plenty of dev info from Apple but most is written under the assumption you know how it works. So here is an article from Macworld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164616/how_ios_multitasking_really_works.html

23. Grmnracing macrumors regular

Talking about iPhones. I don't give a rats behind on the technical specs in terms of Ram/CPU/speed.

Apple has done a great job optimizing iOS to match their hardware. There's nothing left to say! /thread

24. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

accept that it is extremely laggy when you install it on a 2+ year old device you mean... ever use iOS 6 or 7 on an iPhone 4? iOS 7 on a 4s? iOS 5-6 on an iPod touch 4g?

25. thaifood macrumors 6502

Yea, Apple do well to mtach performance with specs so it will still be super quick even with 1GB RAM.

I'm starting to doubt a 5.5" model at all. There haven't really been any convincing part leaks suggesting it is close.