iPhone 6 Models - Internationally Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karan.k, Sep 10, 2014.

1. karan.k macrumors member

Hi guys,

I plan to buy an iPhone 6 from the US and do not mind paying the unsubsidized price as I will like it contract free, so it can be used outside the US.

I did quite some research and have come to the conclusion that the iPhone 6
    Model - A1586 and the iPhone 6 Plus Model - A1524 are the best world phones to use. However these models will be issued from C SPIRE, SPRINT AND U.S CELLULAR.

Does anyone know, if these phones will be internationally unlocked ? I know there was a law passed which bans carriers from unlocking phones - but not sure if this is already being implemented. Does anyone know about this ?

Also, if I were to buy a locked phone at full price from either C SPIRE, Sprint or U.S Cellular, can it be easily unlocked ?

Thanks for you help !

2. karan.k thread starter macrumors member

3. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

my experience buying the iphone 5S is just go into a store, them them you want a phone out of contract and are willing to pay full price and will activate it on your own at home.

Apple stores are your best bet, carrier stores wont sell you an unlocked phone.

Verizon Models are inherently unlocked even under contract.
    AT&T Models will be unlocked if you pay full price, and then sync it thru itunes and it will run the unlocking process.
    T-Mobile Phones will be unlocked when bought at an Apple Store (based on testimony from a million people)

It is true the Sprint model A1586 will have the most LTE bands, but its difficult to get sprint to unlock phones and i'm not sure if you will be able to get one successfully unlocked even at full price from an apple store.

If you are worried about LTE coverage, see which LTE bands your home carrier uses. Then see if the ATT/Verizon/Tmobile models (A1549) cover it, if it does just buy a verizon model full price out of contract.

4. karan.k thread starter macrumors member

The problem is -the sprint / US Cellular / C SPire iphone models (A1586) have the LTE bands which will work for me in India. Even the unlocked iphone model in the US will be T-mobile model.

5. karan.k thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know what will be the model number of the US unlocked iPhone 6, when apple decide to release the unlocked version -which I'm assuming will be a month from now.

Thanks

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

The unlocked model that Apple wil release later in the US will be the same as the current Tmobile version. It's made for US customers so it will not be the one that has India friendly LTE bands. You'll just have to settle for that model or wait for it to come to your country. Apple only makes the Sprint model for CDMA networks in the US and there is no need for unlocked phones on those networks.

7. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

is the Verizon iPhone 6 model internationally unlocked? I've always heard how Verizon iPhones are always unlocked for overseas. Do you think they work on GSM?. Thanks.

8. ARSC macrumors 6502

if you order the T-mobile one from the apple website its comes unlocked.

9. Geo979 macrumors newbie

It was the same with 5S last year but right now they didn't mention the unlocked wording like last year from my rememberings... I bought 6 and 6+ from Apple Store with the T-Mobile brand, I hope they're unlocked, I travel a lot and need to have access in more places.

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I think if the phone is unlocked it should be unlocked internationally. I don't really know what internationally unlocked means. It all depends on the LTE bands in other countries. Supposedly the iPhone six has many LTE bands that will probably cover the rest of the world.

Bottom line, if the phone is unlocked and it is a GSM phone, you should be able to put any Sim card in the phone and have it work.

11. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

Where did you get that Sprint Vrsion has more lte bands?

12. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

Ah the Sprint Version is the normal international version. Didn't know the the default us version was castrated.

13. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

No such law yet and the full requirements of the voluntary agreement doesn't apply until February 11, 2015 so it's quite possible phones manufactured before that date will not be unlocked by the carrier.

I think Sprint will unlock theirs for international use after 6 months of continuous service, though.

----------

If previous years are any indication, that will be the A1549 / A1522 (GSM).

14. karan.k thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys - please provide your comments on the below idea.

I buy an iPhone 6 from sprint at full price and have it unlocked by a third party vendor. I know this will cost me around $100 extra, however still cheaper than buying it from India.