Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingCornWallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
United States
I have an iPhone 6 A1549 running iOS 12.5.5 (latest).

It was given to me and said to have GPS issues, although at the time that we tested we could not reproduce. I shelved it to use for parts, and used the screen at some point. I have since put a screen back on.

Problem Details
  • Proximity Sensor not working (tested in Voice Memos and FaceTime Audio)
  • Speaker not working (tested everywhere)
  • Earpiece not working (tested in FaceTime Audio)

Background Details
  • Phone has been factory reset
  • Phone has been updated to latest
  • Battery is supporting peak performance
  • Extremely minor cosmetic damage to body; not bent, all buttons click and respond well (screen is new)
  • No signs of water damage, and I don't recall ever hearing about water damage from the friend
  • Audio works from 3.5mm and lightning
  • Bottom and rear microphones work
  • Front and rear cameras work
  • GPS seems to work fine
I am just baffled because this spans 2 different parts and would obviously be a problem of concern initially. Additionally, the bottom speaker assembly was never touched in this phone's repair history, unlike the proximity sensor/earpiece assembly that needed to be transplanted.

I am now concerned of board damage (as these are both audio related problems). I would like to hear thoughts before buying and replacing both parts.

Thanks

EDIT: Found I had actually swapped the logic board from another phone. No issue here after all.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It could be anything and maybe not fixable. You can continue throwing parts into it and hope it gets fixed or accept the losses and buy a used iPhone 6S for $65.

KingCornWallis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
United States
It could be anything and maybe not fixable. You can continue throwing parts into it and hope it gets fixed or accept the losses and buy a used iPhone 6S for $65.
You can crawl back into the same hole of pessimism and ignorance from which you came.

Aside from offering no actual insight into the problem, you also fail to realize that this is not my primary or even secondary phone. It was a PARTS phone that was in storage for years.

There are no 'losses', and perhaps there are people like myself that would prefer to have a phone repaired for reasons as mundane as getting more experience or not throwing another potentially good device into a landfill.

Why even respond? Did you really think you were helping?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
My suggestion was posted to show the reality of the situation since some members (perhaps not you) can’t see the bigger picture sometimes. Old iPhones for the most part aren’t financially worth fixing except for hobbyist curiosity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.