iPhone 6 - Passcode Required After 48 Hours

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Oct 2, 2015.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Not sure what the issue is here but I gave mom my 6 and devoted an hour of helping her set it up with Siri, Passcode, TouchID and everything else. I get a frantic call today saying her phone is asking for her passcode and it won't accept it. It told her that it must be entered every 48 hours if you don't unlock the phone. I am sure it was unlocked many times within that time frame. I am aware of the security and that rule but it's not making sense in this situation. I know it has to be a fluke because I have seen it before.

Problem is, the phone is disabled because the passcode is wrong. She only uses 2 specific codes and no others. So either something is up, or the code is actually wrong. I am going to assume something isn't right with the code she is giving me and that I will have to DFU it. It is connected to iCloud so in order to "set it free" she will need to know the iCloud password (which I do). After that I should be good right?

Just wanted to make sure. I've never had this issue and it boggles my mind a little.

Also, the phone keeps disabling after 1 attempt - for 60 mins. Pretty painful.

2. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

i actually had this happen to me a few months back.... lost all of my data for a year because i had to reinstall from an old backup....

3. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, I just DFU'ed it. I know the password was correct. Thankfully iCloud backup works as it should and it backed up last night so not much if anything is lost. Just really annoying.

4. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

I had that happen on my iPad Air 2 the other day. Came back from lunch to have it pop up the "passcode required blah 48 hours blah" message. Thing is I had been using it before going to lunch. It certainly hadn't been more than 48 hours since I last used TouchID. It hasn't repeated (and I haven't seen that on my phone), so I have no clue what caused it.

Edit: I didn't have any problem with the passcode not working though.

5. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I had the passcode prompt problem for quite some time on my Air 2 when it was on iOS 9.0 beta and it was quite confusing, though never had issues with the passcode being wrong.

My Air 2 is now on 9.1 beta and hasn't had that issue since. Weird freak occurrence...

6. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Had this happen on my iPad Air 2 again this morning, and then on my new iPhone 6s this afternoon. Both devices are on 9.0.2. Both happened after the devices had been on continuously for a few hours, then locked, and when unlocking got the "more than 48 hours" message. Passcode still worked fine, but in no way had it been more than 48 hours since I last used Touch ID.

7. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Just had this randomly happen to me today on my iPad Mini 3...but I certainly had used it well with that timeframe. Weird.

8. TMoS macrumors newbie

This happened to me as well just this morning. I've been running iOS 9.0.2 on my 6s since I upgraded my phone a week ago. First time I've seen this '48 hour' requirement.

9. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I have a vague memory of this happening when I first upgraded my iPhone 6 to iOS9. But I haven't seen the error on my iPhone 6s.

I wonder whether this is happening on devices without the latest OS? Just a thought.

10. MrGuder, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

MrGuder macrumors 68020

This also happened to me on my iPad Air 2 and only ever happened after upgrading to the latest iOS 9.0.2 it wouldn't let me use the finger print and I had just used it 10 mins before and it was not 24 hrs. It only happened once.

11. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Doesn't this happen when your phone gets powered down or otherwise reset? A iOS update would cause that.

Just tried it on my iPhone 6s. Phone says: "Touch ID requires your passcode when iPhone restarts"

C

12. MrGuder macrumors 68020

No this one says required after 48 hrs different than the power down one.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Maybe a monthly or better weekly backup would be good.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

I had this happen on my iPhone 6S Plus the other day. It's baffling considering my iPhone gets used regularly through out the day every day. I'm presuming it's a glitch or bug of some kind.

15. mzd macrumors 6502a

just to add another data point, it happened to me too a few weeks back on my 6. never had that message before (or since, thus far).

16. rsnhakan macrumors member

This happens when you use touch id for 48 hours. Some kind of extra security which makes you use your passcode once in 2 days.

17. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

I had this immediately after setting up my launch day 6s!

I had to restore my software and start again!

18. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

This happened to my iPad mini 4. Must be a bug, as this never happened to my other devices. I have yet for this to happen on my 6S Plus.

19. AbsynthMinded macrumors member

Still having issues with this on iOS 9.1; while it's not frequent (or a big deal), I am concerned with any glitch in the iPhone's security protocols. I have definitely unlocked my phone within 48 hours

Anyone else having this problem?

20. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I had that during the 1st week or so after getting my 6s plus. But it went away after that and never happened again.

21. ielessar macrumors regular

Still having with my iPhone 6S on iOS 9.0.2

Every few days I lock the phone and wake up to a "Touch ID requires passcode".

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Since the last update I will also see this warning about twice a week. Just a bug to soon be fixed

23. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

Yes, happened to me this morning. iOS 9.1. Like you say though, not the end of the world.

24. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

My 6S Plus did this 3 days ago. It is clearly a bug as I unlock my phone many times a day. Not sure why it's still a "thing" and hasn't been fixed.

25. chrfr macrumors 603

I get this sporadically on my iPad mini 3, but never on my iPhone 6. Both are on 9.1 currently, but the problem has been around a while. The iPad was on betas before, but the iPhone never was; I'm not sure if there's any correlation.